Player Discussion Kailer Yamamoto

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Funny how this board raged about the Oilers ruined the development of so many youngsters and then labelled Yamo, Bear and Benson busts at various points as the organization tried to develop them properly.

Patience is a virtue. Plus us Oiler fans are conditioned to terrible drafting and development Lol

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
What? Are you serious? He has 10 points in 11 games and even if he’s not point producing he does so much.
Player development isn't always a linear progression. He has done well with this opportunity but it isn't a given that it will continue indefinitely. Or that he'll perform the same without RNH/Drai as linemates, those two demand a lot of attention away from whomever is added to the line.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
To all the HFOil posters i was against about Yamamoto, I wanna say how does it feel being wrong? :)

kevy999

Sep 12, 2016
Player development isn't always a linear progression. He has done well with this opportunity but it isn't a given that it will continue indefinitely. Or that he'll perform the same without RNH/Drai as linemates, those two demand a lot of attention away from whomever is added to the line.
Nobody said anything is a given but he is a damn good player who i would have on my team and can contribute on any team. He has all the skill and smarts to be a very good nhler for a very long time. And everyone plays better with good linemates . Everyone is crying how Mcdavid needs a winger to make his line better but Mcdavid is the best player in the league so if anyone would not need help on his line it would be Mcdavid. So saying that Yammy is playing this good because of his linemates I could switch it around and say the reason drai and nuge are playing well is because yammy is such a smart skilled player who fits in with them. Bottom line is everybody benifits from better players on their line, even Mcdavid.

Last edited:

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
To all the HFOil posters i was against about Yamamoto, I wanna say how does it feel being wrong? :)
Good thing you've been correct on everything else on here as well.:sarcasm::laugh:

For the record, I was never against the kid, but only wanted more development time for him.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
And yet both of them were struggling during December, and then, like a magic switch, along comes Yamo , and everyone on the line starts playing better. Coincidence? I think he is an excellent compliment to both of them, and at times, actually forces Drai to get his feet and arse moving.

SecretOilersFan

Jul 2, 2015
Calgary

Yeah that is a fair take. At the very least at the moment he has been the most impressive player these last few games.

Todd from Leduc

Connor “The Next Great One” McDavid
Nov 15, 2017
Leduc
I think Kailer is only going to get better in the playoffs, I see this kid being able to carry a series on his back with Drai/McD. Plus he’s handsome as frig, some guys get it all.

Reactions: tardigrade81

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
This "heater" though.

This 2nd line is ridiculously effective now that Yamamoto is on the RW, if they can a more effect LW for McDavid and Kassian, this team will be really difficult to deal with.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
I mean there is a bit of a difference between saying he won't keep up being a on-pace for 35+ goals, 75+ points, being a beast on forechecking/take-aways, and on the other hand saying he might need more AHL time. Nothing to do with linear/non-linear development, the last thing anyone should be thinking of right now is if Yamamoto needs more AHL time.

Last edited:

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I love this kid. The emotion he showed after scoring the first goal, then his intermission interview saying that they hate the Flames. The icing on the cake was when they showed the bench after Hass scored and you can see Yamamoto telling him to flip his stick.

Just re-watched that...so good.
He is a gamer for sure...love his passion.
Such a great addition. :nod:

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
This "heater" though.

This 2nd line is ridiculously effective now that Yamamoto is on the RW, if they can a more effect LW for McDavid and Kassian, this team will be really difficult to deal with.

I sort of like Archibald there more than Neal TBH. But yes an even better player would be preferable.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I sort of like Archibald there more than Neal TBH. But yes an even better player would be preferable.
It's why you have to Try Benson there first, and if that doesn't pan out right now, go a get an upgrade.

To improve that 1st line and to limit Neal's exposure 5 on 5, really.

Reactions: Weitz

fuswald

I'd Be Fired
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Imagine if Tenacious Y was built like Draisaitl. He at just over 150lbs is already possibly one of our best forecheckers.

I was totally wrong about him judged his size.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

Oil Dood

Sep 17, 2019
Imagine if Tenacious Y was built like Draisaitl. He at just over 150lbs is already possibly one of our best forecheckers.

I like that he will take on bigger bodies as well, that bodycheck he threw on Hamonic that resulted in a goal was impressive. This kid might very well work himself into a memeber of the core.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Yamamoto is the second coming of Theoren Fluery. Dude just has the pure piss, vinegar, and swagger of 4 guys in the body of 3/4 a guy.

He's not quite as physical as Theo was, but the game in general isn't as physical at this stage, either.

I have to say I didn't expect this. Kids a player.

I think Yams with size isn't Yams. You don't get that kind of feist by being the biggest dog on the playground, tbh.

onetweasy

"That's just like, your opinion, man"
Oct 16, 2005
Bowling Alley

Feels great! I love being proven wrong by the player. I hope several Oiler prospects and veterans outperform expectations.

Will say that it is really nice to finally, after decades of garbage, have prospects that required some post draft development come into the franchise, improve as players and become influential members of the NHL team.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
FFS, my last comment was off-topic?

I'll say it again then. :nod:

There were a lot of comments made about Yamamoto that were mean-spirited and vindictive based on reasons that went beyond the player and that speak to other issues.

It's a player discussion. How the player is discussed is part of the conversation.

Last edited:

dem

Mar 17, 2002
I wouldn't get too carried away. It's 10 games. The line is on a heater.

Definitely promising.. and I like the compete level though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad