Prospect Info: Kaiden Guhle II

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
He just came back from a knee injury, maybe it's a long term issue. Strange because they just signed him to a new contract last summer.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
The crazy thing about this video is that most if not all of these hits results in his team gaining possesion of the puck, crazy.
That's what I love about his physical side. He doesn't make big hits just for the sake of making a big hit and then putting himself out of position. His big hits are actually beneficial hockey plays.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
If they have enough depth to trade Sergachev, cut Juulsen, who's playing for Florida, and sit Mete and Fleury on the taxi squad, they don't need to push Guhle.

I'm pretty sure Guhle had very little to do with the Sergachev trade and vise versa. I know this board is always up for an airing of grievances, but that's just a weird one.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
He just came back from a knee injury, maybe it's a long term issue. Strange because they just signed him to a new contract last summer.

jeez... if ever there was a great opportunity to leverage insider info.

B.Guhle would be a great waiver pick-up. Young, mobile, LHD with upside. Looks like he was called up from his conditioning stint in the AHL, which would suggest he's healed up.

I'd gladly see Kulak waived and demoted to the taxi squad to make room. Guhle offers similar immediate contribution with greater upside and at 1/2 the cap hit.

Reactions: abo9

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
jeez... if ever there was a great opportunity to leverage insider info.

B.Guhle would be a great waiver pick-up. Young, mobile, LHD with upside. Looks like he was called up from his conditioning stint in the AHL, which would suggest he's healed up.

I'd gladly see Kulak waived and demoted to the taxi squad to make room. Guhle offers similar immediate contribution with greater upside and at 1/2 the cap hit.
It might get awkward if the brothers were competing for a spot, since they play the same position. Especially with the younger brother the more talented. I don't think either would like it.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
I'm pretty sure Guhle had very little to do with the Sergachev trade and vise versa. I know this board is always up for an airing of grievances, but that's just a weird one.
Well, obviously not at the time, since he was playing midget in Alberta when the deal went down, but it was an indication that the team was confident enough in the depth they had in the organisation to part with a blue chip prospect in order to get better up front.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Komisarek benefited more than anyone else. Big strong guy, not great with the puck, third pairing D, pretty much. Markov made him look good and Lucic broke him.

Guhle doesn't seem to have the same profile. Komisarek barely scored in junior, Guhle has good stats.
Komisarek was a bit slow (little correction too he played in college not juniors, ncaa mostly 18to22 also has better structure in general - juniors 16-20 and not many 20y/o so you can't look at production and compare accurately... I did like him at the draft but i wanted Mikko Koivu personnally) and was known when drafted to be a big, physical defensive dman with good leadership but without much offensive upside except a hard shot... Guhle is a much better skater and more versatile (at the same age) it seems... I like Guhle quite a bit so far

Reactions: dcyhabs and bopeep

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Komisarek benefited more than anyone else. Big strong guy, not great with the puck, third pairing D, pretty much. Markov made him look good and Lucic broke him.

Guhle doesn't seem to have the same profile. Komisarek barely scored in junior, Guhle has good stats.
Komisarek was close to a point per game as a soph at Michigan. He was brought up too soon and forced into the enforcer role because of his size. That wasn't his nature, and I think that was why he left Montreal, he got tired of having to make room for a pack of midgets. Also his career decline after he went to Toronto was due to chronic back problems, not Lucic. He did play in the All Star game his last season with the Habs. As for playing with Markov, that was mutually beneficial. Andre was a lot freer to roam with a big body behind him to handle the physical stuff.

Reactions: dcyhabs

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
That's what I love about his physical side. He doesn't make big hits just for the sake of making a big hit and then putting himself out of position. His big hits are actually beneficial hockey plays.
Very true but since he's usually in a good position when committing to a hit i would like him to develop a bit more of a mean streak (not trying to injure other guys) i mean, if it was me, 1st thing is to separate the opponent from the puck for sure but i want to teach him a lesson in the process (keep your head up and if i line you up you should know i will put some mustard on it... Dunno if it's just me and i am not a mean person at all but, i want him to remember next morning why he's in pain and make sure he knows when im on the ice with him next game

HabsAddict

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Komisarek was a bit slow (little correction too he played in college not juniors, ncaa mostly 18to22 also has better structure in general - juniors 16-20 and not many 20y/o so you can't look at production and compare accurately... I did like him at the draft but i wanted Mikko Koivu personnally) and was known when drafted to be a big, physical defensive dman with good leadership but without much offensive upside except a hard shot... Guhle is a much better skater and more versatile (at the same age) it seems... I like Guhle quite a bit so far

Don't compare Komi to Guhle.

I "scouted" Komi in Hamilton and he had major issues reading plays, processing the game and no quickness. Every game was the same issue of him getting beaten on the outside, missed coverage and draw out of position. Any errors reading the play would become an even bigger issue because he couldn't react fast enough to his misreads.

His offense consisted of north-south foreys normally culminating in a wrist shot that nobody feared.

Guhle skating is at another level compared to Komisarek. His shot is heavy, accurate and in time, will be feared.

Last edited:

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Guhle gets compared to players like Vlasic, Parayko, Carlo and Bouwmeester for his skating and defensive play, but he showed far more offensive skill than those guys in junior, except for Bouwmeester, who was drafted after 4 years in junior, and taken third overall, Even there, Guhle was i in on the same % of team scoring as Jay, who played in a higher scoring era.

Reactions: overlords

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
Don't compare Komi to Guhle.

I "scouted" Komi in Hamilton and he had major issues reading plays, processing the game and no quickness. Every game was the same issue of him getting beaten on the outside, missed coverage and draw out of position. Any errors reading the play would become an even bigger issue because he couldn't react fast enough to his misreads.

His offense consisted of north-south foreys normally culminating in a wrist shot that nobody feared.

Guhle skating is at another level compared to Komisarek. His shot is heavy, accurate and in time, will be feared.
Biggest resemblance between them is looks. Was Big Mike in Edmonton 20 years ago? ;)

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Guhle gets compared to players like Vlasic, Parayko, Carlo and Bouwmeester for his skating and defensive play, but he showed far more offensive skill than those guys in junior, except for Bouwmeester, who was drafted after 4 years in junior, and taken third overall, Even there, Guhle was i in on the same % of team scoring as Jay, who played in a higher scoring era.
I like Guhle, but to compare Guhle’s skating to Bouwmeester’s is utter nonsense. Bouwmeester was one of the best skaters in the NHL for two decades and allowed him to carve out a Hall of Fame career. If Guhle had Bouwmeester’s skating ability he would have been the first defencemen taken in the draft last year.

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
I like Guhle, but to compare Guhle’s skating to Bouwmeester’s is utter nonsense. Bouwmeester was one of the best skaters in the NHL for two decades and allowed him to carve out a Hall of Fame career. If Guhle had Bouwmeester’s skating ability he would have been the first defencemen taken in the draft last year.

The difference is that there were so few big, mobile dmen back then that Bouwmeester really stood out. There are far more players of this description in today's game and to act as though Guhle is not in the the ballpark of Bouwmeester's skating ability is plain wrong.

Also, referring to Bouwmeester as a sure fire Hall of Famer is borderline asinine. He has always been grossly overrated as he has average skill and hockey IQ.

Reactions: le_sean

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
The difference is that there were so few big, mobile dmen back then that Bouwmeester really stood out. There are far more players of this description in today's game and to act as though Guhle is not in the the ballpark of Bouwmeester's skating ability is plain wrong.

Also, referring to Bouwmeester as a sure fire Hall of Famer is borderline asinine. He has always been grossly overrated as he has average skill and hockey IQ.
I think the comparison between the two players was based on both being tall, lean, defence first players who skated well. Bouwmeester was more highly touted coming out, but ended up being a steady, durable defender, and not much more. I don't think he had a HOF career.

Reactions: Estimated_Prophet
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad