Prospect Info: Kaiden Guhle II

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
I think the comparison between the two players was based on both being tall, lean, defence first players who skated well. Bouwmeester was more highly touted coming out, but ended up being a steady, durable defender, and not much more. I don't think he had a HOF career.
Hall of Famer or not, we can debate that until his eligibility, the team could desperately use a player with Bouwmeester's skating ability in overtime situations today. Maybe, then, we could win one or two overtimes. How pathetically slow we have become as a team.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
While I do not agree with Lowe being a hall of famer, he does have 6 stanley cup, and that is the reason why he is in the HOF. He also seems to have some of influence across the league
Kevin Lowe was who Marc Habscheid, Guhle's WHL coach, compared him to. Habscheid played with Lowe a few seasons with the Oilers. Said that Guhle was the better skater but Lowe "had a better stick". Both fierce defenders, and he said they had the same off ice "presence". Coaches love Guhle.

Gyfu

May 16, 2011
Don't compare Komi to Guhle.

I "scouted" Komi in Hamilton and he had major issues reading plays, processing the game and no quickness. Every game was the same issue of him getting beaten on the outside, missed coverage and draw out of position. Any errors reading the play would become an even bigger issue because he couldn't react fast enough to his misreads.

His offense consisted of north-south foreys normally culminating in a wrist shot that nobody feared.

Guhle skating is at another level compared to Komisarek. His shot is heavy, accurate and in time, will be feared.
I did not compare Guhle to Komisarek though, someone else brought his name up and i just followed up with something... I did "scout" Komi too and i still liked Koivu better... Also, i was young and not as good at gauging what a prospect will end up as pro, IF he gets there, more realistically

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
For all the comparisons that get tossed out, ultimately every player is unique. Guhle has a rare blend of athleticism, size, skill and character. Best in the draft class in my opinion. He "plays the game the right way" as a couple of his recent coaches have said.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
So Guhle's WHL season is over as today is the final game since no playoffs and it sounds like they won't put him in Laval for the final 7 games. Must have been a bad hand injury but now he just needs to focus on working out this summer to get ready for training camp. Would not be the least bit surprised to see him get a look in the NHL next year before sending him back to the WHL but if he has a really good camp I hope they don't rush him ala Juulsen because his defensive and physical game appear NHL ready.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
For this uninformed fan, this was the most boring first round pick in recent years. No regular hype highlights or anything.

I guess that means he's gonna be a good one.

Reactions: AlexGretzchenvid

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
For this uninformed fan, this was the most boring first round pick in recent years. No regular hype highlights or anything.

He looks extremely safe, like I would bet everything I own that he is an NHLer within a few years but the question is how good will he be. He impressed me so much in Laval for an 18 year old, to look that mature to be so solid defensively and physically at 18. The question is just how much offensive upside does he have, the more the better cause the rest of his game looks really solid at such a young age. I would deem him a can't miss prospect but is he a bottom pairing D, 2nd pairing, or can he improve the offense enough to be a legit top pairing D not like say in the days where Komisarek was on our top pairing with Markov.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I had Mercer as my top guy available, really wanted Holloway or Jarvis though.

But Guhle should be a fine player. Will be interesting to see how he compares to Schneider who I had a higher grade for and went a few picks later.

Reactions: Doc5

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
He looks extremely safe, like I would bet everything I own that he is an NHLer within a few years but the question is how good will he be. He impressed me so much in Laval for an 18 year old, to look that mature to be so solid defensively and physically at 18. The question is just how much offensive upside does he have, the more the better cause the rest of his game looks really solid at such a young age. I would deem him a can't miss prospect but is he a bottom pairing D, 2nd pairing, or can he improve the offense enough to be a legit top pairing D not like say in the days where Komisarek was on our top pairing with Markov.
Yeah definitely sucks that he missed this season. Just from stat watching, he's progressed nicely in terms of offensive output since he entered the WHL.

0. 13 PPG in D-3 season, 0.26 PPG in D-2 season, 0.63 PPG in D-1 seasons.. and 1 ppg in his 2 games this year in the D+1 season.

Hope he can turn out to be a solid top pairing D-man. I feel he has the best tool set out of all the defensive prospects in our system.

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal

From what I've seen, he is one of the rare prospects to have both a high floor AND high ceiling. Very exciting prospect.

Reactions: Doc5

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
I had Mercer as my top guy available, really wanted Holloway or Jarvis though.

But Guhle should be a fine player. Will be interesting to see how he compares to Schneider who I had a higher grade for and went a few picks later.
While Guhle was a safe pick, the player to have selected was Holloway, whose combination of elite skating, physical play and skill level made one of the best prospects in last years draft. Had we had a more perceptive manager, we would have moved up in the draft to secure him, rather than focusing our attention on cornering the market of 3rd and 4th round draft choices.

Jul 6, 2016
While Guhle was a safe pick, the player to have selected was Holloway, whose combination of elite skating, physical play and skill level made one of the best prospects in last years draft. Had we had a more perceptive manager, we would have moved up in the draft to secure him, rather than focusing our attention on cornering the market of 3rd and 4th round draft choices.

If the NHL would not had allowed 24 teams for the Summer SC Series, Habs would had drafter 9th or better. Excellent chances to get Holloway, and even very good ones to get Lafrenière.... But Habs had the wrong idea to win against Pittsburg.

Gulhe will be a fine top-four d-man down the road.

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
If the NHL would not had allowed 24 teams for the Summer SC Series, Habs would had drafter 9th or better. Excellent chances to get Holloway, and even very good ones to get Lafrenière.... But Habs had the wrong idea to win against Pittsburg.

12.5% is "very good" now? Moneypuck has the habs at 20.7% chance to make it out of the north division. You must be ecstatic that our odds are almost double "very good".

Jul 6, 2016
12.5% is "very good" now? Moneypuck has the habs at 20.7% chance to make it out of the north division. You must be ecstatic that our odds are almost double "very good".

What were the odds that the Rangers would jump to #1 ?

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004

with any kind of competence in management, we would have secured an additional 1st round pick last year (or at least once in the last 4-5 years of icing a lottery-worthy roster).

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
While I do not agree with Lowe being a hall of famer, he does have 6 stanley cup, and that is the reason why he is in the HOF. He also seems to have some of influence across the league
Holloway is weird. Something a bit off upstairs. I wouldn't feel comfortable drafting him at all. Montreal made the best choice. Also, in case you missed it, shutdown defenseman Guhle outscored hot shot forward Holloway playing on the same team at the WJC.

Reactions: Sterling Archer

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
For all the comparisons that get tossed out, ultimately every player is unique. Guhle has a rare blend of athleticism, size, skill and character. Best in the draft class in my opinion. He "plays the game the right way" as a couple of his recent coaches have said.

Kind of boring like Harley in the 2019 draft (18th pick) but Ghule was good enough to make team Canada on D at age 18 ;)

Where he is at today is solid. What areas he grows at moving forward is guess work. Lots to like on his development track so far and he projects as a solid 200' defenseman.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002

That may well prove to be the most unfortunate of circumstances as Holloway will, I believe, prove to be a much better player than all but a few drafted before him. It was obvious watching him as a 15 and 16 year old that Holloway's skating made him an elite prospect. As the draft progressed and Holloway 'dropped' I was screaming at the TV: "Move Up! Move Up!" But alas, my screams went unheeded as a golden opportunity to grab a sure fire impactful player dissolved. The only saving grace is that at least six or more general managers proved to be as witless and inept as ours.

Last edited:

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City

You take that back. Those mid round draft picks got us Eric Staal!

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Holloway is weird. Something a bit off upstairs. I wouldn't feel comfortable drafting him at all. Montreal made the best choice. Also, in case you missed it, shutdown defenseman Guhle outscored hot shot forward Holloway playing on the same team at the WJC.
You sir are blinded by statistics. If you watched the flow of play, in addition to his physically intimidating play, Holloway's speed made him constant threat on the ice and one of the few players who could outskate the Americans in that fateful gold medal. There are very few General Managers today who would trade Holloway even up for Guhle.

robert ethan

Feb 5, 2021
You sir are blinded by statistics. If you watched the flow of play, in addition to his physically intimidating play, Holloway's speed made him constant threat on the ice and one of the few players who could outskate the Americans in that fateful gold medal. There are very few General Managers today who would trade Holloway even up for Guhle.
You've spoken with them all to come to that conclusion, right?

Reactions: Gyfu
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad