Kadri vs. Kerfoot. Who is the more effective third line C?

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Kadri is a better player. Terrible fit once Tavares came. He was horrific all year. Save. The first 2 periods of the Boston game he got kicked out of.

Bottom line. Kadri better player. Kerfoot hopefully is the better fit

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
It's obvious Kadri is a better player, but he didn't look natural in that 3rd spot at all, something Kerfoot has looked fantastic in.

Kadri also didn't fit on our PP once we got Tavares, although we never really made Tavares fit on it either, which needs to be corrected IMHO.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Kadri is definitely the better player, and one you can count as in your core imo as long as he’s like the 5-6th guy. Unfortunately for him we have four forwards clearly better than him (two who play his position and a third who can fill in) and a need to diversify the talent value around the line up better.
Kerfoot is a more than adequate 3c for us and isn’t inconsistent with the quality of player who have been 3C on cup winners as late.
Kadri is a high level 2C who wasn’t giving full value in a limited role, and kerfoot is perfectly paid and able at his. Getting the year in minimum of a top pairing RHD with Barrie makes the move a no brainer.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
It's too early to say one way or another, but Kerfoot has quite clearly played better than Kadri did last year. Factoring in age and contracts and Kerfoot looks to be quite a bit more valuable.

That said, it would be nice to have Kadri now. I think he's the stronger 2C (although Kerfoot was great last game)

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
I see Naz as a 2C, not 3C. He wasn't effective as a 3C. It's unfortunate for him, because we added JT which moved him down by default. Add his 2 back-to-back playoff suspensions, and he played himself off of the team.

Albeit limited time, but Kerfoot has left me impressed. He still needs some work defensively, but I really like his contract. If he can continue to put up 40+ points, with reliable defensive work it'll be a great deal.

Avs fans were pretty harsh regarding him. He definitely hasn't been what they were saying. Keep it up Kerfy!

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Kadri was and is the better player.

but as a fit, Kerfoot seems to have embraced the 3C role a bit better so far. 2C Kadri is completely different than 3C Kadri.

It's a long season though and Kerfoot needs more than a good start to really cement himself into that spot.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Bit early to say.

Kadri at his best has the higher overall offensive skillset -though inthink that gap is narrowed now given the age gap.

Kadri biggest problem was adjusting to a reduced role- Kerfoot on the other hand seems.to thrive with his current usage.

Factor in salary gap too and Kerfoot looks even more attractive for that specific role of 3c. But I'll always have a soft spot for Kadri - a constant favor mine during his time with the Leafs

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Better contract for Kerfoot. Barrie was also a needed upgrade for the blueline. Colorado wanted the centre upgrade. Kadri wasn't going to get the same opportunities as a Leaf. Kerfoot makes more sense and is the better fit for the Leafs in the 3C role.

I think the longer game also was to pair Kerfoot with Kapanen. Think that should make for the better fit. I suppose we could soon enough find out of its viability a bit more going forward.

Last edited:

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Kadri is a better player and better fit. As Kadri declines, Kerfoot will be a major win for us (he's only 24 years old!)

Mikheyev - Kadri - Moore would've been nasty.

I think a better time to make this thread is later on in the season. Kerfoot is currently riding a high 14.29 on-ice sh% (luckiest on the team).

Reactions: 67leafs and 7even

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Kadri is a better player and better fit. As Kadri declines, Kerfoot will be a major win for us (he's only 24 years old!)

Mikheyev - Kadri - Moore would've been nasty.

I think a better time to make this thread is later on in the season. Kerfoot is currently riding a high 14.29 on-ice sh% (luckiest on the team).

I don’t think kadri would keep up there. But we will never know

Reactions: Seath The Scaleless

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Too early to tell. It's only 8 & 9 games in. You can't ignore that Colorado is atop the standings, ostensibly because Kadri's depth really allows their high-end players to flourish. But you can't also ignore the fact that Kerfoot is sporting a towering 57% CF to Kadri's 47%, despite being nearly identical ~45-46% offensive zone deployments. And, of course, their production has been about the same.

I actually don't think Kadri has that much higher a ceiling than Kerfoot. Their primary point production rates have actually been nearly identical for 3 seasons. Kadri gets more points because he's gotten more ice-time.

Very good trade by Dubas. It's hard to imagine that Kerfoot's contract will not look better by the end of it.

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
Kadri is better than Kerfoot in every way possible, but I've liked how Kerfoot has fit into his role and his lines have been great so far.

Reactions: LeafingTheWay

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Hmmm. All I will say is that Kadri in the #2 role should be better than Kerfoot in the #3 role. But time will tell.

Reactions: stickty111

The Kessel Run

Jun 7, 2011
If you haven't noticed the significant speed difference of the two. I dont know how you could have seen the two enough to be able to have the opinion that Kadri is better in every way.

Well, that might be true. I've only seen Kerfoot in 9 games.

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
A player on the ice is ∞ better than a suspended player. I don't care how well a player does in the regular season, the post season is all that matters

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I'm going to be a dissenting voice and say I wouldn't be surprised if Kerfoot ends up being the better player.

It's very early days, and I'll be first to admit that I fully expected Kerfoot to be very mediocre and eventually a cap casualty, but Kerfoot plays with a kind of jam shift to shift that Kadri was supposed to, but didn't always.

He seems to have a more consistent motor, surprisingly gets into greasy areas, and has a crisp heads up game. That compared to Kadri's darting, sometimes floating and unfocused game. He's also cheaper and quite a bit younger. He seems to have a good low center of gravity and is pretty balanced out there, great straight ahead speed and agility whereas Kadri always looked light on his feet, darting and under powered. Probably doesn't have the hands Kadri does.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad