Kadri vs. Kerfoot. Who is the more effective third line C?

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Seriously man, Kerfoot has *averaged* over a 15% shooting percentage since he joined the league and not coincidentally takes few shots per game compared to say, a Kadri. At a certain point you have to look at his behavior and see that it's not luck that he has low shot high scoring percentage markers. It's behavior and style of play. So, tell me, how many years does he have to keep up his behavior before you realize its the kind of player he is and not continue with "oh, he's so lucky". 3? 5? 10?

You just chose to ignore my two posts? His 5v5 on-ice sh%, sh% and PDO (the three main metrics to see if production is sustainable) ALL indicate his production are unsustainable. I've quoted the metrics in this post again for your convenience below. I have no idea why you're ignoring them when these are the main metrics used to tell if production is sustainable. To add to this, if you honestly believe Mikheyev and Kerfoot will continue to lead the team in 5v5 points/60, OVER Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander/etc, then I honestly don't know what to tell you man :laugh:

That's not true at all. Kerfoot's sh% is not consistent with what it was in Colorado.

Kerfoot's 5v5 on-ice sh%:
View attachment 267055
Kerfoot's 14.29 oish% is not even close to his normal in Colorado.

Kerfoot's 5v5 sh%:
View attachment 267059
Kerfoot's 33.33 sh% is not even close to his normal in Colorado.

His production will drop soon, to a more sustainable rate. He's going to put up good numbers, but let's not ignore that his line (and himself) are shooting at an unsustainable rate.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
You just chose to ignore my two posts? His 5v5 on-ice sh%, sh% and PDO (the three main metrics to see if production is sustainable) ALL indicate his production are unsustainable. I've quoted the metrics in this post again for your convenience below. I have no idea why you're ignoring them when these are the main metrics used to tell if production is sustainable. To add to this, if you honestly believe Mikheyev and Kerfoot will continue to lead the team in 5v5 points/60, OVER Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander/etc, then I honestly don't know what to tell you man :laugh:

If you are going to ignore what a player does year after year in pursuit of your metrics are GOD, by all means do so if it helps you cope:help:. But it doesn't change the fact that of what a player accomplishes and how he accomplishes it year after year after year.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
If you are going to ignore what a player does year after year in pursuit of your metrics are GOD, by all means do so if it helps you cope:help:. But it doesn't change the fact that of what a player accomplishes and how he accomplishes it year after year after year.

Okay I agree with you, Kerfoot will have a better 5v5 points/60 than Marner/Tavares/Nylander/Matthews :laugh: :sarcasm:

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Okay I agree with you, Kerfoot will have a better 5v5 points/60 than Marner/Tavares/Nylander/Matthews :laugh: :sarcasm:

I never said any such thing. But again, if putting words in other people's mouths helps you cope, whatever, that a personal problem you'll have to deal with.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Kadri is definitely the better player, and one you can count as in your core imo as long as he’s like the 5-6th guy. Unfortunately for him we have four forwards clearly better than him (two who play his position and a third who can fill in) and a need to diversify the talent value around the line up better.
Kerfoot is a more than adequate 3c for us and isn’t inconsistent with the quality of player who have been 3C on cup winners as late.
Kadri is a high level 2C who wasn’t giving full value in a limited role, and kerfoot is perfectly paid and able at his. Getting the year in minimum of a top pairing RHD with Barrie makes the move a no brainer.
We have 3 forwards clearly better than Kadri (Matthews, Marner, JT). Nylander never showed he was clearly better than Kadri. He might in the future, but he never did given the only time Kadri got an elite player on his line for a sustained period of time he went off (back half of 2017-18). Nylander could surpass Kadri as a player, and he should, but he didn't when they were both on the roster unless you are giving a heavy age curve, ignoring Willy's struggles when asked to carry a line as a center, and the type of match-ups Kadri was asked to take.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
I never said any such thing. But again, if putting words in other people's mouths helps you cope, whatever, that a personal problem you'll have to deal with.

You said Kerfoot's production is sustainable, did you not? Since Kerfoot's production comes from 5v5, and not PP last year and this year, that means he'll produce more than Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander at 5v5...

Seriously man, Kerfoot has *averaged* over a 15% shooting percentage since he joined the league and not coincidentally takes few shots per game compared to say, a Kadri. At a certain point you have to look at his behavior and see that it's not luck that he has low shot high scoring percentage markers. It's behavior and style of play. So, tell me, how many years does he have to keep up his behavior before you realize its the kind of player he is and not continue with "oh, he's so lucky". 3? 5? 10?

A 15% shooting percentage average??? You have to look deeper than that dude. Kerfoot literally has no 'behavior' to keep up. Using the basic stat you provided, Kerfoot had a 22 sh% first year and then a 12 sh% second year. Which one do you think is more sustainable??? It makes zero sense to say "Oh, his sh% this year is his usual sh%", when he's only done it once ever before ... the one where he was on the PP with MacKinnon/Landeskog/Rantanen/Barrie for half the year and was hot versus the second year where he wasn't playing on the top PP and normal usage.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Kadri is a better player than Kerfoot. However, Kadri is gone and Kerfoot is a Leafs. Won’t it be nice if Kerfoot become a better player than Kadri while being a Leafs?

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011
I think Kerfoot is just a better player. Kadri has always been overrated to me and I dont care for his attitude.

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
Kerfoot is a way better skater which really helps on the forecheck and he is just as good as Kadri at distributing. Where Kadri is better is shooting, physicality and puck protection down low. Kadri is also a better defensive player but Kerfoot is elite at breaking out in the d zone which is why his defensive analytics are so good. Both have pros and cons but i think Kerfoot is better for driving possesion for a line. Kadri is better for creating offense though.

sparxx87

Don Quixote
Jan 5, 2010
Toronto
Kadri is more talented with a better offensive toolbox.

Kerfoot is a much better defensive player with better wheels. Underrated playmaker, too.

In a vacuum it’s Kadri. For the Leafs, to fill their 3 centre, I think it’s Kerfoot.

Just wish Kerfoot wasn’t so soft.

Reactions: kb

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
So far, Kerfoot has pretty much done more with less. It's still very early, but so far this looks very good for a secondary piece in the trade.

I'm not sure I'd even call him the secondary piece considering Barrie's might only be here for one year. But yeah, so far so good!

Blanche Blanche

Torontoooooo
Dec 2, 2017
Toronto
Kerfoot seems to be a better puckhound.
Better motor.
And clearly finding success as a Leaf on the 3rd line, heck hes making more Impact than Mango,Kap and Nylander currently.

Kadri albeit with major recency Bias, has lost his skating acumen, his puck handling and his shot went down hill after he got married.

Last season he was a passenger 90% of the season and when he was delegated as a shutdown guy for Bergeron line 2 seasons ago, he crapped that assignement and we had to be saved by turtleneck Pleks.

Kerfoot so far... for Modern Leafs.
BETTER

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Kadri albeit with major recency Bias, has lost his skating acumen, his puck handling and his shot went down hill after he got married.

Last season he was a passenger 90% of the season and when he was delegated as a shutdown guy for Bergeron line 2 seasons ago, he crapped that assignement and we had to be saved by turtleneck Pleks.

Kerfoot so far... for Modern Leafs.
BETTER

And we can't ignore the fact that he was non-existent for 90% of the playoffs as well and this was the 2nd year in a row he got suspended in the playoffs.

If the playoffs started tomorrow and I had to choose between Kadri and Kerfoot, I take Kerfoot for the simple reason that I'm pretty sure he'll be available to play every game whereas Kadri can't be counted on in that regard. If you could count on Kadri playing every game that I take Kadri but even then (albeit as you say, with major recency bias) the gap isn't very big.

Reactions: Blanche Blanche

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Kadri is the better player hands down IMO. He struggled a bit last year, but in the past has been utterly fantastic for Toronto.

That said, Kerfoot has fit in nicely for us and is off to a great start. We also have Barrie on the back end now. Early on, it's hard to complain about the trade.

Meanwhile, I'm sure Colorado appreciates the upgrade at forward and has players like Girard to replace Barrie long term.

Win-win?

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Kadri is the better player hands down IMO. He struggled a bit last year, but in the past has been utterly fantastic for Toronto.

That said, Kerfoot has fit in nicely for us and is off to a great start. We also have Barrie on the back end now. Early on, it's hard to complain about the trade.

Meanwhile, I'm sure Colorado appreciates the upgrade at forward and has players like Girard to replace Barrie long term.

Win-win?

Looks like a win-win so far and as I've said before, that's usually the best kind of trade there is.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Happy with Kerfoot! I was a kadri fan but I can see his game regressing in the not too distant future. He's not a 3rd line guy either

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Kadri brings an element of the game that Kerfoot does not and that is being an agitator. That being said, he lacks mental awareness that has cost he and Leafs in the past. In short he is a hot head.

Although we may never see Kerfoot score 30 goals a season like Kadri did, he does bring a better 200 ft game and two-way game that Kadri never had consistently.

Kerfoot is a smart player with a high motor. He can PK, PP and has been great at puck retrieval and possession thus far.

Although I miss Kadri as a player I don't as a person, when you combine both mental and physical attributes of their games. Kerfoot is what Toronto needs moving forward as a 3C not Kadri.

To top it all off, trading problem child Kadri not only netted us Kerfoot (which is a bonus), but it also got us stability in Barrie on backend right side.

So we should all take Kerfoot all day long and twice on Sundays!!!

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
You said Kerfoot's production is sustainable, did you not? Since Kerfoot's production comes from 5v5, and not PP last year and this year, that means he'll produce more than Matthews/Tavares/Marner/Nylander at 5v5...

A 15% shooting percentage average??? You have to look deeper than that dude. Kerfoot literally has no 'behavior' to keep up. Using the basic stat you provided, Kerfoot had a 22 sh% first year and then a 12 sh% second year. Which one do you think is more sustainable??? It makes zero sense to say "Oh, his sh% this year is his usual sh%", when he's only done it once ever before ... the one where he was on the PP with MacKinnon/Landeskog/Rantanen/Barrie for half the year and was hot versus the second year where he wasn't playing on the top PP and normal usage.

:rolleyes:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->