Kadri vs. Kerfoot. Who is the more effective third line C?

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
We are still discussing Kadri? who is better doesn't matter any more. Kerfoot is part of Leafs now and Kadri is a ex Leafs

Moderators keep on closing these threads because of ongoing and endless discussions and we keep on opening these threads. I think we should end this (Kadri) chapter

Note: There is one thing that we need to remember is that we got Barrie for under $3 M in that deal

Last edited:

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
I think people undervalue what Kerfoot brings to the table. He's certainly not a "special" player but hes a very good 3rd line centre and fills the role far better than Kadri did. He scored more than 40 points in back to back seasons playing the 3rd line, and he wasn't given the same opportunities that Kadri was given in that regard. People tend to only think of Kadri in those 30 goal seasons, but those seem to point to anomalies rather than a consistent trend , who knows though. I liked Kadri a lot, but like I said in another post, there were many reasons why he became replaceable . Kerfoot will hopefully(and likely) be more reliable to the team, especially in regards to suspensions

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
Kadri is a better player and better fit. As Kadri declines, Kerfoot will be a major win for us (he's only 24 years old!)

Mikheyev - Kadri - Moore would've been nasty.

I think a better time to make this thread is later on in the season. Kerfoot is currently riding a high 14.29 on-ice sh% (luckiest on the team).

Kerfoot's sh% here is consistent with what it was in Colorado. He's a lot like Bozak was before Bozak was consigned to lobbing low percentage shots for Van Reimsdyke to tip in, a guy who picks his moments, and passes if they aren't good. Kadri is not that guy.

Keep in mind that Kerfoot doesn't shoot often, relying on his wingers to do the bulk of the shooting. His sh% percentage is high because he only shoots on high percentage shots and hands the puck off if its not a good scoring chance. Kadri left us a 8.5% shooter, mostly because he would not pass and would shoot whether he had a good chance to score or not.

Reactions: kb

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I always thought Kadri was a dumb***. It turns out he was.

Kerfoot will likely be smarter and make better decisions throughout his career. That means a lot.

Kadri is more talented offensively. His legacy is somewhere in the sewer.

Reactions: Suntouchable13

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
You are answering the wrong question, It's not asking who the better player is, it's asking who is the better 3C is. Kerfoot is blossoming into the role, Kadri was stifled.

The better player is the better pick for the role.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Kerfoot's sh% here is consistent with what it was in Colorado. He's a lot like Bozak was before Bozak was consigned to lobbing low percentage shots for Van Reimsdyke to tip in, a guy who picks his moments, and passes if they aren't good. Kadri is not that guy.

Keep in mind that Kerfoot doesn't shoot often, relying on his wingers to do the bulk of the shooting. His sh% percentage is high because he only shoots on high percentage shots and hands the puck off if its not a good scoring chance. Kadri left us a 8.5% shooter, mostly because he would not pass and would shoot whether he had a good chance to score or not.

That's not true at all. Kerfoot's sh% is not consistent with what it was in Colorado.

Kerfoot's 5v5 on-ice sh%:
upload_2019-10-20_21-4-44.png

Kerfoot's 14.29 oish% is not even close to his normal in Colorado.

Kerfoot's 5v5 sh%:
upload_2019-10-20_21-6-5.png

Kerfoot's 33.33 sh% is not even close to his normal in Colorado.

His production will drop soon, to a more sustainable rate. He's going to put up good numbers, but let's not ignore that his line (and himself) are shooting at an unsustainable rate.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
The only thing I miss about Kadri is his grit. I love Kerfoot’s game and he about three times faster which fits the Leafs style much better. Kadri is an effective player but he looks really slow last year.

Reactions: 67leafs

Guided by Veseys

Nov 14, 2011
Kadri was stuck with marleau last year so it’s hard to say how effective he is as a third line center.
You gotta think that line of Moore-naz-Mikheyev would be really f***ing good. Kadri probably would have had a 5 on 5 resurgence this year with those line mates.
That said, I’m really happy with Kerfoot. His speed and hustle adds a big dynamic that we wouldn’t get with naz. He’s our one quick Center. Naz isn’t quick and neither is Tavares. Matthews is quick when he wants to be but it’s not consistent.

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
That's not true at all. Kerfoot's sh% is not consistent with what it was in Colorado.

Kerfoot's 5v5 on-ice sh%:
View attachment 267055
Kerfoot's 14.29 oish% is not even close to his normal in Colorado.

Kerfoot's 5v5 sh%:
View attachment 267059
Kerfoot's 33.33 sh% is not even close to his normal in Colorado.

His production will drop soon, to a more sustainable rate. He's going to put up good numbers, but let's not ignore that his line (and himself) are shooting at an unsustainable rate.

Wow, going granular to massage the stats to try and prove your point. Here are the basic numbers that don't include the advanced statwanking you are obsessing over.

2017 season - 81 shots 19 goals 23% sh
2018 season - 116 shots 15 goals 13% sh
2019 season so far - 13 shots 3 goals 23% sh.

He's currently on a pace to do what he did before in 2017. Although if starts taking more shots as he did in 2018 he will probably end up somewhere between the last 2 years in goals. Regardless, as you can see looking at actual stats, yes, he did this before in Colorado.

Last edited:

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don’t mind Kerfoots game at all. He works hard and has some touch and play making sjills. Very consistent and good on the draws. I like him as our third at a $1,000,000 cheaper for 4 years. He’s younger to but right now it doesn’t really matter because Kadri is not in any kind of decline. I doubt Kadri is in any decline when his contract expires in 3 years.

Kadri would look some good on the left side of either Tavares or Matthews i would bet. I don’t like the deal but like Barrie. Would rather have Naz.

Reactions: Koolboss

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Kerfoot could play in work boots with a road hockey stick that has a blade shaved down to the width of a tooth pick and he’d still be a better option than this:

D4PAv4cVUAAj6Cn.jpg

Kadri is a better offensive player.... who was a massive playoff failure and whose cap hit did not enable us to have the offseason we did.

Dubas did the best he could with the situation and this comparison nonsense should really end.

Reactions: Boutette

MSZ

Car guy
Oct 5, 2014
Scarborough
Kadri got a diving call last night and I honestly don't think he will ever change the way he plays, that means he will once again do stupid things to get himself suspended once things get serious in April and May.

Reactions: Pookie

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Wow, going granular to massage the stats to try and prove your point. Here are the basic numbers that don't include the advanced statwanking you are obsessing over.

2017 season - 81 shots 19 goals 23% sh
2018 season - 116 shots 15 goals 13% sh
2019 season so far - 13 shots 3 goals 23% sh.

He's currently on a pace to do what he did before in 2017. Although if starts taking more shots as he did in 2018 he will probably end up somewhere between the last 2 years in goals. Regardless, as you can see looking at actual stats, yes, he did this before in Colorado.

You're better than that dude, there's literally no need to post that bolded paragraph.

As for the stats I posted. You think on-ice sh% and sh% is 'going granular to massage stats' ?? Instead of being ignorant and ignoring that, why not actually take a minute to try and understand those 2 stats that are widely used around the league and are available anywhere to view? Here, for your convenience: On-ice sh% and PDO have always been 'luck' indicators to determine whether a player's production is sustainable or not. They've been used normally every-year to determine whether production is unsustainable low or high, or normal.

I literally have no agenda here, considering I'm defending a non-Leafs player lol. If you want to stick to what you 'know', go ahead.

Reactions: 63 others

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
You're better than that dude, there's literally no need to post that bolded paragraph.

As for the stats I posted. You think on-ice sh% and sh% is 'going granular to massage stats' ?? Instead of being ignorant and ignoring that, why not actually take a minute to try and understand those 2 stats that are widely used around the league and are available anywhere to view? Here, for your convenience: On-ice sh% and PDO have always been 'luck' indicators to determine whether a player's production is sustainable or not. They've been used normally every-year to determine whether production is unsustainable low or high, or normal.

I literally have no agenda here, considering I'm defending a non-Leafs player lol. If you want to stick to what you 'know', go ahead.

Seriously man, Kerfoot has *averaged* over a 15% shooting percentage since he joined the league and not coincidentally takes few shots per game compared to say, a Kadri. At a certain point you have to look at his behavior and see that it's not luck that he has low shot high scoring percentage markers. It's behavior and style of play. So, tell me, how many years does he have to keep up his behavior before you realize its the kind of player he is and not continue with "oh, he's so lucky". 3? 5? 10?

Boutette

Been there done that
Sep 28, 2017
True. I did see Kerfoot on the powerplay this year.

All I’m saying is Kadri would be doing well with Kap and Soup

He wouldn't be doing well. He'd be withholding passing to them and continue trying to do everything himself. That's the kind of player he is.

Reactions: kb

kb

Aug 28, 2009
The better player is the better pick for the role.
No, it isn't. The role matters.

Would you put Nylander instead of Hyman on an energy/checking line because he was the better player?

Kerfoot is faster, smarter, more positionally sound, arguably more defensively aware, and arguably the better playmaker. Kadri is more dynamic, a better scorer, and is a better agitator. However, the third line C isn't designed to be a scoring role, and it showed with Kadri's numbers last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad