Value of: Kadri for rebuilding assets

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Nazem Kadri has become expendable with the acquisition of Matthews via the draft and projects to get out slotted by Nylander eventually.

Kadri is a clear cut 2C on rebuilding teams and a solid 3C on contenders.

Looking for (at-least one of):
  • A young RHD with top 4 upside
  • 1st round picks and 2nd round picks
  • Quality prospects at the forward position
  • Blue-chip goaltending prospects

KADRI is not the player to be moved. He is 25 and has played with very little talent around him, his game (200) is shaping up nicely and he had one of the worst starts to his careers yet managed 45 points. He is cost controlled at 4.5 till he is 30, why on raft would we want to trade that when this guy can slot in as a great number two but elite number three.

I get we need a top pairing defenceman but nobody will trade a young controllable asset for Kadri. Let's see what we have with the kids going forward and where we are in 3 yrs.

Bozak is the asset they should be looking to unload if they can get a decent return.

Redline

Feb 26, 2003
boardroom
Visit site
KADRI is not the player to be moved. He is 25 and has played with very little talent around him, his game (200) is shaping up nicely and he had one of the worst starts to his careers yet managed 45 points. He is cost controlled at 4.5 till he is 30, why on raft would we want to trade that when this guy can slot in as a great number two but elite number three.

I get we need a top pairing defenceman but nobody will trade a young controllable asset for Kadri. Let's see what we have with the kids going forward and where we are in 3 yrs.

Bozak is the asset they should be looking to unload if they can get a decent return.

Great isn't a word I'd use to describe Kadri.
Toronto should hang onto both him and Bozak to insulate the young guys.

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Nazem Kadri has become expendable with the acquisition of Matthews via the draft and projects to get out slotted by Nylander eventually.

He has not become expendable. Bozak has... And not even at this point. only until matthews has outplayed him. And even then bozak will be where he belongs as a 3C, with eventually matthews as 1C and Kadri as 2C.

Lou did not sign Kadri for all those years for the reason of trading him as soon as matthews was in the bag

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
Great isn't a word I'd use to describe Kadri.
Toronto should hang onto both him and Bozak to insulate the young guys.

That may be your opion but he draws a ton of penalties, has some Jam to his game has started to play a 200 game now that he actually has a coach to mentor him. He is certainly a good 2C but could be great provided we actually get some decent players to surround him. Suspect he will push past the 50 point plateau. When he drops to the third line he will be an elite 3C on a sweatheart deal.

Again not somebody you dump.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
At this point TOR shouldn't trade Kadri because he wouldn't get you anything on your want/need list except 2nd round picks or a mid to late first at the deadline to a desperate team with C injury or.needs that 1 piece to solidify them and that's a 3C.

He's worth quadruple to the leafs then any team in the league. He's just your average player on a ok to slightly overpaid contract.

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I dont think you understand why we locked Kadri up.

If you have Matthews at 1C, you have someone else as 2C, then Kadri at 3C, (which is what I think management had in mind for the future), thats great depth down the middle. He's here for 6 more years, so hopefully we'll be contenders during that time. He's rounding out his game and can slide up and down the lineup if injuries occur. And at only 4.5, I feel like Kadri is a very valuable asset.

Someone gets it ;)

Long term:

1) Matthews
2) Nylander
3) Kadri

sd1976

Mar 14, 2008
How exactly is Kadri "incredibly underpaid"? It's a little silly to make that assumption based on one comparable (also ignoring the fact that Kilhorn has been a beast in the playoffs) Kadri is at about exactly at market value. Some other comparables:

Adam Henrique - 4mil AAV
Bryan Little - 4.7mil AAV
Ryan Johansen - 4mil AAV
Kyle Turris - 3.4mil AAV
Marcus Johansen - 3.75mil AAV
Tyler Johnson - 3.3mil AAV

And if i'm being honest, I take all those players (besides Marcus Johansson) over Kadri. Don't get me wrong Kadri is a real nice 2c, it's just calling him "incredibly underpaid" is definitely a stretch..

Do you have any idea what the word context means? Come back when all those guys sign their new contracts.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Why is Toronto trading Kadri??dont get me wrong as a sens fan i would love not having to deal with that punk:laugh:But he is a very good player ,and is a good young asset for them to build with

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
At this point TOR shouldn't trade Kadri because he wouldn't get you anything on your want/need list except 2nd round picks or a mid to late first at the deadline to a desperate team with C injury or.needs that 1 piece to solidify them and that's a 3C.

He's worth quadruple to the leafs then any team in the league. He's just your average player on a ok to slightly overpaid contract.

Not even close. That contract is going to look like an absolute steal as early as this season.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

He's not expendable in the least and is going no where.
You probably meant Bozak?

exporta

Jul 30, 2005
Kadri is absolutely a 2c on a contender.

Once again, you're super wrong. We don't need a top 4 d, we need a top 2 d. We aren't trading Kadri for a goalie prospect, we definitely don't need more forward prospects.

We can't ice a team full of teenagers...

While I agree Kadri is what most people around here like label a 2nd line C, the truth is that teams don't look at their roster and say geez we have 2 #2 C's we need to move one.

Pittsburgh has proven that you need three strong lines to win and a dependable 4th line. That is, unless you are the Blackhawks.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with Matthews / Nylander / Kadri as top 3 C's.

kb

Aug 28, 2009
Playing Kadri with third liners isn't helping his stat sheet.

The stark reality of this is that it is Kadri's fault. He carries the puck to a fault and rarely uses or even looks for his wingers - especially off the rush. Plus he is in love with the toe-drag move and as a consequence he is more often looking down at the puck instead of his options. He was tried with both Kessel and JVR and for the most part it just didn't work - the former needs the puck on his stick on a rush and the latter works hard at getting open in the high percentage scoring areas and needs someone to get him the puck there. Kadri is usually trying to beat the D himself or trying to take a weak shot from a low percentage area when the other team sets up and takes away his options. His shooting percentage had nothing to do with luck, and everything to do with shot selection and location.

That is why unless he changes his style, he will be getting third liners who crash the net on his line because that is what is needed on his line. It's no coincidence that Kadri's point totals went up when playing with Komarov - who would crash the net hard looking for rebounds or tip-in opportunities. Kadri is anything but a pass first guy....he is a pass last guy. He will try to deke or take a weak shot before looking to pass. This is also why he is being groomed for the shutdown 2c/3c role by Babcock, as Babcock recognized this early on.

This is coming from a Leaf fan. Ideally he will be a feisty, scoring 2c/3c who can go against the other team's best. If he would look for his wingers more, he would get more points and more opportunities with skilled players. He simply needs to become more unpredictable with the puck.

Last edited:

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Kadri is absolutely a 2c on a contender.

Once again, you're super wrong. We don't need a top 4 d, we need a top 2 d. We aren't trading Kadri for a goalie prospect, we definitely don't need more forward prospects.

We can't ice a team full of teenagers...

Kadri was 56th in points among centers last season how does that make him a 2C on a contender? How do you round up when Kadri is 56th out of 60? Considering there are centers on ELC just a few points behind Kadri with a lot more upside and potential, Kadri is more like 60-70th best center? Nothing special.

What are the excuses for him? His shoot percentage was down, well he pretty much match his average production so if his shoot percentage was down it's because he was taking too many shots and he's so special or drawing penalties, ok but the refs were turning on him by season's end and Kadri creates a side show the Leafs have to defend. He's ok on possession, I don't get the love affair with his mediocrity?

We need both a top pairing RHD and a second pairing RHD.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Kadri was 56th in points among centers last season how does that make him a 2C on a contender? How do you round up when Kadri is 56th out of 60? Considering there are centers on ELC just a few points behind Kadri with a lot more upside and potential, Kadri is more like 60-70th best center? Nothing special.

What are the excuses for him? His shoot percentage was down, well he pretty much match his average production so if his shoot percentage was down it's because he was taking too many shots and he's so special or drawing penalties, ok but the refs were turning on him by season's end and Kadri creates a side show the Leafs have to defend. He's ok on possession, I don't get the love affair with his mediocrity?

We need both a top pairing RHD and a second pairing RHD.

Can't believe I need to do this as a sens fan... Kadri was 56th in scoring as a center on a Toronto team that was pretty much tanking. JVR was out with an injury and the only other top 6/top 4 talents the leafs were running last year were Reilly and maybe gardiner/bozak depending on how you feel about them. As of right now there is only one forward that doesn't need help producing and that's Crosby. Hating on kadris production because of Torontos lack of current offensive talent is dumb.

LondonKendrick

Jun 18, 2016
Can't believe I need to do this as a sens fan... Kadri was 56th in scoring as a center on a Toronto team that was pretty much tanking. JVR was out with an injury and the only other top 6/top 4 talents the leafs were running last year were Reilly and maybe gardiner/bozak depending on how you feel about them. As of right now there is only one forward that doesn't need help producing and that's Crosby. Hating on kadris production because of Torontos lack of current offensive talent is dumb.

If anything that should improve his numbers as he got more ice time and more PP time with the best available talent on the team. He wouldn't be playing with JVR had the Leafs had an actual 1 or 2C. On a good team Kadri plays with the Greenings, Soshnikovs, etc... It's not like 56th overall in scoring isn't consistent with the rest of his career.

Holding Kadri to the standard of a 2C isn't dumb, the endless excuses made for him on the other hand, that's dumb.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

I gotta agree with this too, I dont understand why leaf fans want to trade the few good core pieces they have that arent 20 and under. You need some veterans to help the younger players along.

I think Kadri could be an effective 2 C on a really good team if he has good wingers. He plays with an edge and is only 25 years old.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
On a team where Matthews projects to be the #1, where Nylander could very well be a strong #2, I think most Leaf fans would be very pleased to have a Nazim Kadri as their 3C.

mashedpotato

full stack.
Jan 10, 2012
He's a 2nd line centre that will be cast into a 3rd line role. What Toronto chooses to do with him at that point will be anyone's guess - if they're smart, they'll hang onto him.

a 3rd line centre with his skill set is a rare find.

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
He's a 2nd line centre that will be cast into a 3rd line role. What Toronto chooses to do with him at that point will be anyone's guess - if they're smart, they'll hang onto him.

a 3rd line centre with his skill set is a rare find.

Gotta agree with you there. Kadri could superb #3c in a contender if he gets his defensive play in check.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad