Value of: Kadri for rebuilding assets

Mashed Potatoes

Feb 14, 2015
We hold on to him for now. Bozak could be moved soon when Matthews is playing at 2C capacity atleast. Kadri can be a 2C on a leaf playoff team and help ease in the prospects and help develop them. Although I think a more Two way Center will be best in 2-4 years when we truly will be competing for the Cup. But who knows, maybe Kadri and Matthews are a true cup-contender one, two punch. I wouldn't do too much now, unless a deal is too good to pass up om.

Gavy

Jan 30, 2012
Ottawa
Kadri is extremely overrated by most of my fellow Leaf fans. If your team has him as a 2C then your team isn't a contender. He has the skill set of a 3C, but with his immaturity and dirty play I wouldn't want him on my team.

If the Leafs could somehow get a top 4 defenceman I'd be thrilled, but I'd settle for a late 1st or even a 2nd round pick.
Lol ok. You've gotta put effort in to be this wrong

longchange

Feb 18, 2012
I'd love him on the Flames but I think the Leafs are better served keeping him. He brings a lot of things to the Leafs that they need and it would take an overpayment to get him out of there imo. If they're able to have some combination of Matthews, Nylander, Kadri, Bozak down the middle then they are set for a long time.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
To everyone saying I'm wrong:

Kadri is a mid 40 point centreman. That would be ok on its own, however he...

Is awful on face-offs
Doesn't really kill penalties
Is a dirty player. He's been suspended twice now in the last 2 years by the league for head hits. Its one thing to be an idiot like that on a low end team, but a playoff team isn't going to want a 2C that gets himself suspended like that.
Is incredibly immature. Not just getting suspended by his own team, but you never know when he's going to throw one of his tantrums after getting hit.

If you want to base it solely on points he's a low end 2C at best. But all things considered he's not good enough to fill that role on a playoff team. If he would clean up his game and work on face-offs he'd be a real nice 3C that can move up due to injuries. Heck, even if he ignored the face-off part he might be able to pull off being a 2nd line LW. But at 25 years old I highly doubt he suddenly finds a brain.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix

Is awful on face-offs
Is a dirty player. He's been suspended twice now in the last 2 years by the league for head hits. Its one thing to be an idiot like that on a low end team, but a playoff team isn't going to want a 2C that gets himself suspended like that.
Is incredibly immature. Not just getting suspended by his own team, but you never know when he's going to throw one of his tantrums after getting hit.

If you want to base it solely on points he's a low end 2C at best. But all things considered he's not good enough to fill that role on a playoff team. If he would clean up his game and work on face-offs he'd be a real nice 3C that can move up due to injuries. Heck, even if he ignored the face-off part he might be able to pull off being a 2nd line LW. But at 25 years old I highly doubt he suddenly finds a brain.

He also,

-Has amazing advanced stats
-Very good 2 way player
-Incredibly underpaid. See Killorn contract.
-Had an unsustainable low shooting %.
-Is past all his antics and is an incredibly hard worker, no idea where you get immaturity from.
-Dirty? lol.
-Amazing at drawing penalties

He is much more than a 3C. Kadri was on pace for 27 goals if he shot his career shooting %. No idea where you are getting 3C from.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay

Is awful on face-offs

jeez shouldn`t that you know tell ya something.

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
It wouldn't bother me in the least to see Kadri get traded. He has some some speed and skill.He can also be pretty dirty too, which is the only thing I don't like about his play.

Combine that and the fact that Matthews will most likely knock him out off of the 2C spot this season. Kadri wouldn't be worth the dough he's being payed as a third line center.

I'd say trade him now, for as much as the Leafs can get back for him.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
He also,

-Very good 2 way player
-Is past all his antics and is an incredibly hard worker, no idea where you get immaturity from.
-Dirty? lol.

He is much more than a 3C. Kadri was on pace for 27 goals if he shot his career shooting %. No idea where you are getting 3C from.

Exactly. Not to mention hes a great play maker and with all these young goal scoring forwards coming in is that not exactly who you would want to play with them.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Man, I thought the Kucherov to Toronto thread would have put an end to this.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
He also,

-Very good 2 way player
-Dirty? lol.

The stuff I'm saying is based off what he actually did. Most of what you're saying is what he might or could be.

-Great, those advanced sure helped the Leafs out, and they got Kadri to another amazing mid 40 point season.
-If he's such a great two way player, why did he play a whopping 5 minutes of PK time? Thats not per game, thats his season total.
-Hes not underpaid. He's paid quite generously based on what he's done.
-Was his low shooting percentage bad luck or something else? Because I saw a guy that was taking a lot of awful low percentage shots last year. That'll both inflate his total shots and lower his shooting percentage.
-The immaturity is obvious from getting suspended by his own team.
-Hes been suspended twice now by the NHL for head hits. Also watch him slash guys after he gets hit, its amazing he doesn't get called more often for that.
-I will give him credit for being good at getting calls, however he often crosses the line into embellishment, and has been both penalized and fined for it.

Also a big lol at giving a guy who's scored 20 goals once, a few years ago, credit for a 27 goal season.

Last edited:

Billerdzzz

Sep 20, 2011
Ontario,Canada
He also,

-Very good 2 way player
-Dirty? lol.

He's definitely not a horrible player. Far from it. He has improved his play and was given a lot of years more to mature, than a lot of our past prospects, before they were shipped out.

The dirty part I do agree with. He has a mean streak, similar to Brad Marchand. I've seen Kadri hit guys from behind. Doesn't mind getting his stick up. Remember the throat slashing gesture he made to that other player last season.

If he could be traded or packaged for a young, effective RHD, I'd be all for it.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
It wouldn't bother me in the least to see Kadri get traded. He has some some speed and skill.He can also be pretty dirty too, which is the only thing I don't like about his play.

Combine that and the fact that Matthews will most likely knock him out off of the 2C spot this season. Kadri wouldn't be worth the dough he's being payed as a third line center.

Funny people keep bringing up hes dirty. New flash when he came in the league people were targeting him, because he was a young weak skilled forward. He then decided to put on some muscle and stand up for himself. Since He has started hitting back, showing he will protect himself and sometimes being the aggressor. You notice he doesn`t get targeted like he use to. I like his new game and seeing as hes been that little guy I feel better about having him out there with the rookies. Physically and mentally he can Help those guys out.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga

Is awful on face-offs

He also,

-Very good 2 way player
-Dirty? lol.

What ViewsFromThe6ix said.

Even if you see Kadri as a 3C, he's going to be there anyway probably as soon as the 17-18 season, when the Leafs have Matthews and Nylander as full time centres. Kadri is signed long term for under market value. Babcock and management like him a lot. Any Leafs fans hoping he'll be traded anytime soon should just come to terms with the fact that Kadri will be here for a few years at least.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg

Finally someone else who gets it.

I do understand why Leaf fans want to love him so much. Thanks to the Kessel trade he was the only Leafs' prospect that was worth a damn. As such he's become quite overrated in Toronto. I can't believe most people still refuse to see him for what he is.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Funny people keep bringing up hes dirty. New flash when he came in the league people were targeting him, because he was a young weak skilled forward. He then decided to put on some muscle and stand up for himself. Since He has started hitting back, showing he will protect himself and sometimes being the aggressor. You notice he doesn`t get targeted like he use to. I like his new game and seeing as hes been that little guy I feel better about having him out there with the rookies. Physically and mentally he can Help those guys out.

Its great that he put on some muscle and started hitting guys. If thats all he did there wouldn't be a problem. But just because he used to be a little guy doesn't give him an excuse to play reckless now. Theres a huge difference between protecting oneself and playing dirty.

Wami

Chicken Lyfe'
Mar 8, 2013
This is stupid. He's going to late bloom like Steen did, especially with all the high end young talent coming in to help him out. I'm a huge kadri fan and believe we should keep him all the way until he retires as a grizzled more mature vet. That said, even if we did trade him now is a horrible time. It would be best to trade him 3 years from now after his game has improved and his numbers jump from playing with our top prospects, he'll be worth so much more and will snag us a lot when he's 28/29. Even then, we may decide to keep him because that could very well be his prime and may be when we're pushing for a cup. He's not getting traded now, and he may not even get traded three years from now. Let it go, you are completely on the wrong side of this debate.

longchange

Feb 18, 2012
Just for fun, if the Flames somehow managed to get Kadri for picks + prospects (I know it won't happen) I would love the possibility of the following:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Brouwer
Bennett - Kadri - Tkachuk
Shinkaruk - Backlund - Frolik
Ferland - Stajan - Chiasson

Getting Kadri would actually solve some problems...and that second line would be hell to play against in the future lol.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Kadri is absolutely a 2c on a contender.

Once again, you're super wrong. We don't need a top 4 d, we need a top 2 d. We aren't trading Kadri for a goalie prospect, we definitely don't need more forward prospects.

We can't ice a team full of teenagers...

A top 2 D eh?

Leafs fans told us for years how Phaneuf was a top pairing defenseman. I wonder if Ottawa would part with him for Kadri?

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think Leafs management spoke their minds on Kadri with the new contract. They've clearly decided he's part of the core going forward. It's far likelier to be Bozak that is moved.

strictlyrandy

Sep 9, 2013
Colorado
Phaneuf is a #2. He is a top pairing dman.......

He is right now atleast.

By what measure?

Everything I've seen from him indicates that he's a solid top 4 and an iffy top pairing as of late. Doesn't even really produce much anymore. I can attribute that to a new team though. I think this season will be real telling, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

That being said, if you think he's a top pairing D and that's your need, would you trade Kadri straight up for him?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
The stuff I'm saying is based off what he actually did. Most of what you're saying is what he might or could be.

-Great, those advanced sure helped the Leafs out, and they got Kadri to another amazing mid 40 point season.
-If he's such a great two way player, why did he play a whopping 5 minutes of PK time? Thats not per game, thats his season total.
-Hes not underpaid. He's paid quite generously based on what he's done.
-Was his low shooting percentage bad luck or something else? Because I saw a guy that was taking a lot of awful low percentage shots last year. That'll both inflate his total shots and lower his shooting percentage.
-The immaturity is obvious from getting suspended by his own team.
-Hes been suspended twice now by the NHL for head hits. Also watch him slash guys after he gets hit, its amazing he doesn't get called more often for that.
-I will give him credit for being good at getting calls, however he often crosses the line into embellishment, and has been both penalized and fined for it.

Also a big lol at giving a guy who's scored 20 goals once, a few years ago, credit for a 27 goal season.

-You expect one single player's possession numbers to change the fortunes of an entire team? Leafs went from one of the worst possession teams to the 13th best
-There are tons of good 2 way players that don't PK. Kadri was the #1C responsible for supplying all the offence last year. Why waste your number 1 offensive resource on the PK? He was excellent both ways 5 on 5. Look at his shot supression and takeaway numbers.
-Compared to his career shooting % he had an unlucky year. We aren't comparing him to Ovi here. We are comparing Kadri 2016 to past Kadri shooting.
-That was 2014/2015 man.

And this is the biggest point.

-So? He plays on the edge. Is that a bad thing? Keith is one of the dirtiest players in the NHL. Does that make him a bad player.

Duncan Keith cost his team a game in the playoffs because of his dirty play. Keith is an amazing player, one of the best D in the NHL. Does that make him a bad player?

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
By what measure?

Everything I've seen from him indicates that he's a solid top 4 and an iffy top pairing as of late. Doesn't even really produce much anymore. I can attribute that to a new team though. I think this season will be real telling, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

That being said, if you think he's a top pairing D and that's your need, would you trade Kadri straight up for him?

Kadri is 25. Phaneuf is 31. One has a 7 mil caphit, the other has a 4.5 cap hit. Why would we ever make that trade?

I say this as a Leafs fan about an Ottawa player. Phaneuf is incredibly underrated imo. I don't have to say nice things about him but Phaneuf is a good player.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
Its great that he put on some muscle and started hitting guys. If thats all he did there wouldn't be a problem. But just because he used to be a little guy doesn't give him an excuse to play reckless now. Theres a huge difference between protecting oneself and playing dirty.

39 players were suspended last year should they all be traded.....

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/...tracker-fine-raffi-torres-money-number-games/

27 the year before

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/2014-15-nhl-suspension-tracker/

Take a minute to read the names. Theres a lot of big name players in there.

People get suspended it happens you move on and Continue. Now if you can find me a quote of him saying ya the guy deserved it and **** it then I would agree. I would prefer some one who gets angry and passionate about the game over someone who floats out there for a paycheck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad