Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
The priority is winning long term.
Helping a rookie develop is exactly why we have a coach like Quinn. If we stifle kakkos development for short term wins that probably won't even get us to the playoffs what's the point?
Most of us are in agreement that the rangers are gonna miss the playoffs, so then you focus on making them next year. Kakko developing helps accomplish that.

For Kakko himself, long-term development is the obvious goal. For the coach, it isn't as simple as conceding they are gonna miss the playoffs, so let's put all effort into developing players. Coaches don't have the luxury of having three year plus contracts like players unless they are Scotty Bowman. The coach may be kicked out tomorrow if the owners are unhappy with him and often owners are short-sighted and look at success in terms of wins, not in terms of some long-term player development. Missing the playoffs two years in a row would kind of look bad on a CV if you coach a team like the Rangers. So no, coaches can't afford to sacrifice wins for some player development goal years forward.

stonec

Nov 21, 2011
if it is that easy, why is his body language on the bench show that he has stomach ache? His lack of physical play also supports that something isn't right with him physically.

Go look up coeliac disease. Yes, it's literally "that easy" as in avoiding food with gluten, as by definition coeliac disease is intolerance to gluten. Surely a team with a million of dollars in hand can afford a chef that makes him decent food, at least as good as in his Finnish teams. His type 1 diabetes is probably a lot tougher to deal with, but he didn't show any signs of fatigue for instance last year when he played a combined of something like 100 games with the Finnish league, WJC and WC games in total.

Reactions: haveandare

lucky13

Iron Chic
Sep 17, 2006
Ridgewood, NY
Well, yes because the only one who played against men and scored that much was Laine, who did score less than Kakko in Liiga, but Barkov scored more in Liiga than Kakko and scored 24 points in 54 games in his 18 year old season. And while playing against men in a professional league is all well and good, Liiga isn't the NHL in a lot of ways

E: the larger point I'm trying to make here is you can ask for the world from Kakko if you want, but he's not a lesser player if you don't end up getting what you asked for
Idk how many times things like this need to be said. Yet some people just refuse to except it... and it’s still sooooo early in the season too.

Reactions: GeorgeKaplan

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Can we not?
Agree.
To @Svenhart2008 I say
upload_2019-10-7_19-59-22.gif

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Kakko hasnt looked that great, he is a kid so its expected but it would barely matter who centers his line, Kreider for his part hasnt helped much either but blaming Kakkos start on Strome isnt accurate imo. To be fair, Strome hasnt had the luxury of having two good wingers either. That line will figure it out at some point and if not something will change.
Was going to say the same thing. It has been two games. These gifs are learning each other and Kakko is also learning the league and the system and the NA style. So much happening. I hope Quinn let's it ride for like 10 games at least.

HockeyBasedNYC

Feeling it
Aug 2, 2005
Here
I must say in watching him he has been very reserved. Not seeing the bursts in his game right now and he hasn't had the puck nearly as much as he needs it to do damage. He's definitely adjusting to the NA game, rink size and the fact that he's not getting a ton of minutes. There have been a lot of fractured periods with all of the special teams time as well, which hasnt helped.

He's been finding his way in games and I do believe he is improving period to period. It seems like he is working on his positional game and trying to dial in the defensive game first, which is responsible. Saw him down low a few times clearing out the crease. His intentions are good but as a winger that was surprising to see. He has been getting a little lost in the neutral zone and at times is watching the play instead of skating, but thats to be expected. He also needs to keep two hands on his stick more in this league. He'll get there. I really have no worry about him.

That being said he is the type of talent who's game grows as the game goes on. If he breaks a lane and corks one in or has a dominant shift with a few good chances he very quickly could gain his confidence and off he goes...

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Kakko is getting noticeably more comfortable and with the garbage he has to work with I'm definitely happy with that for now

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Kakko is getting noticeably more comfortable and with the garbage he has to work with I'm definitely happy with that for now
I would have KK play with Lias and Lemieux. Kreider is an enigma. He disappears way too much with all the tools and talent he has. Strome does an ok job at center but is probably better at wing.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Kakko doesn't have the ideal linemates for his playing style, but he's doing fairly well. They are a good possession line, but the points haven't been there. Give him time.
Fine, i'll give him 1 more game. If he still doesn't have any points then i'm done with him.

Reactions: will1066

Mestaruus

Apr 11, 2011
Kakko doesn't have the ideal linemates for his playing style, but he's doing fairly well. They are a good possession line, but the points haven't been there. Give him time.

I think that Kakko will get hot with Panarin and Zibanejad at some point of the season but no need to rush with that and it's unlikely Zibanejad's linemates get changed now that he seems to be the best player in the league or something.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fine, i'll give him 1 more game. If he still doesn't have any points then i'm done with him.

Everyone has been excited about Kakko. Myself included, but I reserve a lot of that excitement because he's only 18 yo. The dude has a lot of potential but I don't expect him to start racking in the points in his first few games or even 1st month for that matter . People need to be patient with Kakko, he'll get there. Right now, I'm enjoying the Mika and Panarin show and loving every min of it.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I think that Kakko will get hot with Panarin and Zibanejad at some point of the season but no need to rush with that and it's unlikely Zibanejad's linemates get changed now that he seems to be the best player in the league or something.
Or maybe he does not play on the top line all year.

PalmCoastRanger

Jun 21, 2019
I would have KK play with Lias and Lemieux. Kreider is an enigma. He disappears way too much with all the tools and talent he has. Strome does an ok job at center but is probably better at wing.

Kreider is what he is. He is not an enigma or a puzzle we are yet to figure out. He is a bloodhound, give him a scent and he will go fetch. That is if he doesn't get distracted.

I appreciate Kreider's effort on most nights, but I don't see him as an ideal linemate for Kakko. Kreider excels off the rush, while Kakko slows the game down. Someone on another thread suggested that Panarin and Kakko should be on the same line, I tend to agree with that point of view. Anyone defensively sound and or good at draws should be able to successfully center a line with Panarin and Kakko on it. While a line with KZB should more than hold their own.

Reactions: Cag29

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
Its' time for the cliche game.

Kakko is struggling after two games because:
A) He is gripping his stick too hard and trying to do too much
B) He is overthinking the game and just needs to relax and play his game
C) Ryan Strome

gravey9

Dec 29, 2008
Its' time for the cliche game.

Kakko is struggling after two games because:
A) He is gripping his stick too hard and trying to do too much
B) He is overthinking the game and just needs to relax and play his game
C) Ryan Strome

That line has ZERO chemistry right now. Puck support has been non-existent. They should be a get the puck in deep and cycle line. But they're not getting it done. Could be Kakko, could be Kreider, could be Strome. It's really hard to know at this moment. But not loving their chemistry.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
I appreciate Kreider's effort on most nights, but I don't see him as an ideal linemate for Kakko. Kreider excels off the rush.
Disagree. Kreider's game is most effective on the cycle and crashing the net. He's been one of our best players at it for years now IMO.

He does have his moments on the rush though.

I actually think Kreid's and Kakko's games will end up meshing very well together. They just need a little more time together + a center that contributes anything positive to a hockey game.

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Sounds like something Millbury would say as a GM.

Disagree. Kreider's game is most effective on the cycle and crashing the net. He's been one of our best players at it for years now IMO.

He does have his moments on the rush though.

I actually think Kreid's and Kakko's games will end up meshing very well together. They just need a little more time together + a center that contributes anything positive to a hockey game.

We won't know how well Kreider and Kakko can play together until they get a better center for that line. I know it's beating a dead horse but Strome is a poor fit.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
We won't know how well Kreider and Kakko can play together until they get a better center for that line. I know it's beating a dead horse but Strome is a poor fit.
Yes and no. I think they're both good enough players that they can compensate for it to an extent, but Strome certainly doesn't help and will hold them back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad