Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
One thing I've noticed is him sticking too close to other Ranger players, when we're in the offensive zone rather than being open on the right side he's skating too close to the other Ranger players or staying around the front of the net when there's already a player there; and on the backcheck he's coming back too deep. It's almost as if he's nervous about taking that one timer when they pass to him and he's open, and nervous about breaking out on his own if he's staying at the point in our end. Does anyone else notice this?
I did today, at any rate.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I definitely think he's very gradually been building. I think the biggest adjustments for him are the pace of the game and learning what will/won't work against defenders. IMO guys like Lemieux or Fast are players he could learn a lot from. Fast showed today the advantages of playing a hard, simple game over a skilled game. There's no bonus points for being fancy. I think Lias could be his best centerman right now; Stick Lemieux with them. People have to be patient though with regards to that. We're only 6 games in and already Strome and Kakko have been separated, and Kakko is playing on the PP1 and extra man. He's going to be a monster; Already one of the most dangerous forwards which is crazy.

He's definitely starting to find a bit of a groove which is great to see. I was noting over the summer that I think his trajectory is going to be somewhere inbetween Laine and Barkov, even though I think he could up the best of the 3 when all is said and done. He doesn't have one elite skill like Laine to lean on, but he has a bit less to learn on the wing than Barkov did as a center. I'd like to see him stick on PP1 and get 3rd line minutes at ES.

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
He's definitely starting to find a bit of a groove which is great to see. I was noting over the summer that I think his trajectory is going to be somewhere inbetween Laine and Barkov, even though I think he could up the best of the 3 when all is said and done. He doesn't have one elite skill like Laine to lean on, but he has a bit less to learn on the wing than Barkov did as a center. I'd like to see him stick on PP1 and get 3rd line minutes at ES.
I mean Barkov is really good. :laugh:

That’d be...good.

Captain Monglobster

Nov 9, 2005
I didnt realize people were on a ledge already but I just read the last page. Jesus Christ this team doesnt even know what it is yet. Let the coach figure out who fits where for christ sakes.

Kakko will be fine. Hes not crosby hes not gonna put up 100 pts in his rookie year, and thats FINE.

Reactions: haveandare

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I really don't get the criticisms of kakko.

I think he's been exactly what I would have hoped for.

He looks dangerous, and he's not making egregious mistakes out there.

I think demoting him a line would be best for him though.

Whoever suggested lemieux lias' and kakko was on the money...I think that could be a fun line.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Let's hope Kakko gets his game going this evening!
He will get his game going whenever he gets it going. I am not going to be shocked if instead of putting up 50 points like most believe, his first season is like Barkov's. He is 18 and the viewpoint here should be long term.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
He will get his game going whenever he gets it going. I am not going to be shocked if instead of putting up 50 points like most believe, his first season is like Barkov's. He is 18 and the viewpoint here should be long term.
I agree and I am taking a very patient approach. Despite his general lack of scoring he has been visible and involved. I'd like to see him play more physical, but I can say that to a man throughout the lineup. What I think is unfair, is right now be seems to have been put in a position where he is being counted on to be the driving force for the second line. And that is asking too much at this point.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Yes he is. :laugh:

I do honestly believe that Kakko can be better. He has that kind of talent. Will he realize all of that potential is another story.
If he can improve his skating and conditioning, the sky is the limit for this kid. He has good instincts and already knows how to use his size. It’s nothing an intense off season conditioning regimen can’t fix.

Reactions: Trxjw and Koijari

Thordic

StraightOuttaConklin
Jul 12, 2006
Kakko has been fine. He doesn't look lost out there. He's still learning. You can clearly see his ability, it just hasn't all clicked yet.

The points will come.

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
Kaapo Kakko: ”Haluan olla heti se, joka tekee maaleja ja ratkoo pelejä” | East Side Media

A long, honest interview with Kaapo. Some quotes:

-Hockey isn't very much fun for me right now. Things haven't been working out and sometimes I feel like I could be on the ice a bit more. It would be cool to get a chance on the first line at some point. I understand that it hasn't been realistic so far, since I haven't really showed much.

-I don't think there's been a single line that's worked out. I'm sure everyone has noticed (Talking about his own lines). When you lose a lot, there need to be changes.

On the Canucks game;

-We had a really bad start. Again. At least we got something going towards the end. Close game. We did have a chance to make it even.

-I can't understand how there could be two terrible mistakes right off the bat in the first period. At least I was put on the first PP unit. That was great and I think it went OK. I've been playing a lot during the last minutes, so I've a nice minus collection.

On the schedule & playing more

-A player wants to play. You want to show that you can play well. After two first games I was already frustrated, especially since my game wasn't what I was expecting.

-My goal is to have a leading role. I don't want to hear any talk about how I'm the youngest guy and I need to be given time to get used to the playstyle. I want to be the guy who scores goals and wins games right away.

-I need to battle to stay in the lineup. But most of all we need to show up as a team. We can't just keep losing.

-The days have been a bit boring at times, since we've played so little. I've mostly been watching shows on the tablet. Now we'll get to play properly and hopefully I can get more icetime. I think my game will start to roll better too.

He's an honest, confident kid who doesn't really sugarcoat stuff.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Kaapo Kakko: ”Haluan olla heti se, joka tekee maaleja ja ratkoo pelejä” | East Side Media

A long, honest interview with Kaapo. Some quotes:

-Hockey isn't very much fun for me right now. Things haven't been working out and sometimes I feel like I could be on the ice a bit more. It would be cool to get a chance on the first line at some point. I understand that it hasn't been realistic so far, since I haven't really showed much.

-I don't think there's been a single line that's worked out. I'm sure everyone has noticed (Talking about his own lines). When you lose a lot, there need to be changes.

On the Canucks game;

-We had a really bad start. Again. At least we got something going towards the end. Close game. We did have a chance to make it even.

-I can't understand how there could be two terrible mistakes right off the bat in the first period. At least I was put on the first PP unit. That was great and I think it went OK. I've been playing a lot during the last minutes, so I've a nice minus collection.

On the schedule & playing more

-A player wants to play. You want to show that you can play well. After two first games I was already frustrated, especially since my game wasn't what I was expecting.

-My goal is to have a leading role. I don't want to hear any talk about how I'm the youngest guy and I need to be given time to get used to the playstyle. I want to be the guy who scores goals and wins games right away.

-I need to battle to stay in the lineup. But most of all we need to show up as a team. We can't just keep losing.

-The days have been a bit boring at times, since we've played so little. I've mostly been watching shows on the tablet. Now we'll get to play properly and hopefully I can get more icetime. I think my game will start to roll better too.

He's an honest, confident kid who doesn't really sugarcoat stuff.
Love seeing the real side of him with a Finnish interview. The MSG stuff he still has difficulty with the langue so everything is a bit vanilla, seems like it was a completely different kid answering these questions. He seems so mature for his age just how to talks. He says all the right things and he's down on himself when he isn't performing as well and he thinks he needs to be (which is probably why he stays on the ice after practice).

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
-I can't understand how there could be two terrible mistakes right off the bat in the first period.

:sarcasm:

-I've been playing a lot during the last minutes, so I've a nice minus collection.

:laugh:

Love this kid.

Ori

#Connor Bedard 2023 1st, Chicago Blackhawks
Nov 7, 2014
Norway
If he is going to play with Strome & Kreider - he can as well be sent down to Wolfie!
-2 last game, Kreider -1 vs Nucks looking at stats from NHL.com

tomobson

Sep 16, 2008
I agree and I am taking a very patient approach. Despite his general lack of scoring he has been visible and involved. I'd like to see him play more physical, but I can say that to a man throughout the lineup. What I think is unfair, is right now be seems to have been put in a position where he is being counted on to be the driving force for the second line. And that is asking too much at this point.

I have to agree with this. If the rangers had more forward depth I think we'd see kakko up with the first line. Unfortunately, kakko is the best chance at this team getting some sort of secondary production and the coaches know it. I do hope to see lias get a chance centering him for a few games like the other centers have gotten. It looks like lias could have some more chemistry with kakko than the other two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille