Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cag29

94! I’m ready for more! LGR!
Jul 18, 2018
Kreider is what he is. He is not an enigma or a puzzle we are yet to figure out. He is a bloodhound, give him a scent and he will go fetch. That is if he doesn't get distracted.

I appreciate Kreider's effort on most nights, but I don't see him as an ideal linemate for Kakko. Kreider excels off the rush, while Kakko slows the game down. Someone on another thread suggested that Panarin and Kakko should be on the same line, I tend to agree with that point of view. Anyone defensively sound and or good at draws should be able to successfully center a line with Panarin and Kakko on it. While a line with KZB should more than hold their own.
Question for you. Do you resign Kreider at 7x7? I would deal him at the deadline.
I like him but not at that price.

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
I also noticed he's playing very conservatively. Think he's trying to get on Quinn's good side by playing a simple, responsible game, we've seen Hughes struggle a lot so far by trying to play his hero style hockey he's used to playing. Hopefully as he gets more confortable and has Quinn's trust he starts showing off his skills a little more, and of course that whole line needs to get going. They have a long week of practice for that though.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Right now I feel like Kakko is more or less in the same offensive boat as a lot of our forwards not named Panarin, Zibanejad and Buchnevich --- that is to say that they all appear to have little chemistry or momentum thus far.

Reactions: egelband

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
The next few days should give them some more time to work together. It's not game situations but it does give them time to chat, work out set plays, things like that.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Not worried at this point. He’s had some good looks and shown his trademark puck control. Needs to get one to build up some confidence.

As happy as I am to see Buch playing so well, he may falter at some point and Kakko will benefit from some time with the top guys who do a lot of the lifting

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
When they tell you you'll be playing with Ryan Strome instead of Mika Zibanejad

thumb_pretending-to-be-happy-hiding-crying-behind-a-mask-blank-54291350.png

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Its' time for the cliche game.

Kakko is struggling after two games because:
A) He is gripping his stick too hard and trying to do too much
B) He is overthinking the game and just needs to relax and play his game
C) Ryan Strome

How about the ultimate cliche with some truth in it imo, he's "finding his rhytm" in the NHL, it's a faster paced game from anything he's played before. The transitions between zones are faster and you gotta be able to read them in advance to be really effective, I imagine he's just taking it in a bit, the opposite of A and maybe a bit of B but I would say he's just thinking more than overthinking. Whenever he gets to utilize his strengths you can see him excel like when he gets hold of the puck down low, it often ends up in a scoring chance of some kind simply because he's so strong on the puck with good vision and passing, the play rarely dies on his stick.

Also, partly C but that horse has been beaten to death already.

PalmCoastRanger

Jun 21, 2019
Disagree. Kreider's game is most effective on the cycle and crashing the net. He's been one of our best players at it for years now IMO.

This is one of the sources of frustration I have with Kreider. His skill set should back up what you just stated, but I've watched him too often do a fly by or an ole instead of working through people in the corners. He either turns the puck over or leaves the cycling to smaller teammates. We will just have to disagree on this.

I hope you are right and Kakko eventually adjusts to the kind of player Kreider is. Since I don't see that change coming from Kreider.

Question for you. Do you resign Kreider at 7x7? I would deal him at the deadline.
I like him but not at that price.

Some team will give Kreider that term, I hope it won't be the Rangers.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
This is one of the sources of frustration I have with Kreider. His skill set should back up what you just stated, but I've watched him too often do a fly by or an ole instead of working through people in the corners. He either turns the puck over or leaves the cycling to smaller teammates. We will just have to disagree on this.

I hope you are right and Kakko eventually adjusts to the kind of player Kreider is. Since I don't see that change coming from Kreider.
Definitely will have to disagree. Not only does he win most of his board battles, but he's very good at winning them and getting the puck to the point to maintain the cycle. There's a reason he's been the best driver of play on the team since like 2015 (someone more stat savvy than I can fact check this claim for me).

BroadwayStorm

Aug 2, 2005
New York City
#1 priority is winning, not helping a rookie excel. He is supposed to help the team, not the other way around.
I want to win Stanley cups. This team is still rebuilding despite the delusions on this board. Were not winning shit with this "defense". So yeah, now is the time to develop the young players. HELLO?!

And please PLEASE explain to me how Strome helps this team win games. Please enlighten me.

Reactions: Leetch3

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I would have KK play with Lias and Lemieux. Kreider is an enigma. He disappears way too much with all the tools and talent he has. Strome does an ok job at center but is probably better at wing.
I would 2nd that emotion, they could possibly bond as all being much closer in age. Dynamic of it looks good as well.
If not that, maybe Panarin/Zbad/KK just to get the kid some points, don't want him pointless for too many more games. He isn't used to that, could hurt his confidence.

You ordinarily don't want to break up a hot line, but maybe in this case.....it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Reactions: Cag29

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
That line has ZERO chemistry right now. Puck support has been non-existent. They should be a get the puck in deep and cycle line. But they're not getting it done. Could be Kakko, could be Kreider, could be Strome. It's really hard to know at this moment. But not loving their chemistry.
You spelled that wrong. It is "chemystery". As individuals you cant blame any of them. Just not working well together. Yet.

This is looking really bad on Kreider though. He might never see time with Zbad again, and if this goes on much longer, what does Quinn do then? Cant drop Kreider to 3rd line, so that means replacing Strome with, I suppose Lias. There needs to be better "glue" betwixt the KK brothers.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
Someone suggested putting Panarin on the 2nd line, not a bad idea imo. He's one of the best in the league at creating offense 5v5 and he doesn't need Ziba to do it (propably).

Larrybiv

We're CLEAN, we PROMISE!
May 14, 2013
South Florida
I want to win Stanley cups. This team is still rebuilding despite the delusions on this board. Were not winning **** with this "defense". So yeah, now is the time to develop the young players. HELLO?!

And please PLEASE explain to me how Strome helps this team win games. Please enlighten me.
The way Lias has been playing, bumping him to 2nd line would probably do wonders for Kreids and Kappo.

Kovalev27

BEST IN THE WORLD
Jun 22, 2004
NYC
The next few days should give them some more time to work together. It's not game situations but it does give them time to chat, work out set plays, things like that.

All of which is I was bitching about not playing guys together in Camp and having the Danny o regans of the world still there at the end of preseason

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I want to win Stanley cups. This team is still rebuilding despite the delusions on this board. Were not winning **** with this "defense". So yeah, now is the time to develop the young players. HELLO?!

He doesn't. And considering they aren't actively trying to contend this year, there is no real reason to panic and get another guy to replace him.

Kakko will be fine. I'm sure there is a small adjustment for him. I've got a feeling he gets his first goal on Saturday.

Reactions: NY Lito

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Definitely will have to disagree. Not only does he win most of his board battles, but he's very good at winning them and getting the puck to the point to maintain the cycle. There's a reason he's been the best driver of play on the team since like 2015 (someone more stat savvy than I can fact check this claim for me).

The bolded in particular has been a strength of his since he first entered the league.

Rongomania

Dec 31, 2017
Inwood
I like that Quinn is treating Kakko like any other 18 yr old. He is playing small minutes and learning NHL defensive play. I like this. Quinn knows he could throw him out on the top line and PP1 whenever he wants, but he doesn't.

DQ is one smart MOFO and I have a lot of trust in his system/his treatment of rooks.

The Kakko will be unleashed soon enough.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Zero concerns about Kakko. He's an elite talent and he'll find his foothold eventually.

I do wish we had a better center to match him up with. That line just seems to have very little chemistry and thus almost nothing to build on.

I'm not going to lie, part of me is really curious to see how a guy like Andersson might mesh with Kakko.

Not just because he's a former high pick of ours, but from a style perspective. I'd like to see if Kakko opens up space for Andersson, and in turn I'd like to see if Anderson can bring a sense of energy and peskiness that benefits Kakko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad