Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trxjw

Retired.
May 8, 2007
Land of no calls..
I'm not going to lie, part of me is really curious to see how a guy like Andersson might mesh with Kakko.

Not just because he's a former high pick of ours, but from a style perspective. I'd like to see if Kakko opens up space for Andersson, and in turn I'd like to see if Anderson can bring a sense of energy and peskiness that benefits Kakko.

At this point I'm more than willing to give it a shot. I've always viewed Andersson's eventual role as a "glue guy" on a line with a couple of higher skilled players. He's skilled enough that he won't drag them down, but does adds all of the right things to make the line more effective. I know people will groan, but I see Chris Drury in Andersson. He's not going to carry a line, but he could realistically carve out a heck of a productive career by being able to skate alongside great players.

Now, I was pretty convinced that career would be as a winger. However I can't argue against the fact that he's improved his skating significantly over the summer, which is what I felt was holding him back the most.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I'm not going to lie, part of me is really curious to see how a guy like Andersson might mesh with Kakko.

Not just because he's a former high pick of ours, but from a style perspective. I'd like to see if Kakko opens up space for Andersson, and in turn I'd like to see if Anderson can bring a sense of energy and peskiness that benefits Kakko.
Interesting idea. They actually play somewhat similar style with the puck- below the net and on the side boards, win puck battles and find the open man or take it in front. Kakko just has way more skills and can hang on to the puck a second or two longer which eventually will benefit him greatly to make a quick pass to the open man. Kakko also has better iq, though LA is becoming no slouch in that department as he becomes more accustomed to the NHL pace.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Interesting idea. They actually play somewhat similar style with the puck- below the net and on the side boards, win puck battles and find the open man or take it in front. Kakko just has way more skills and can hang on to the puck a second or two longer which eventually will benefit him greatly to make a quick pass to the open man. Kakko also has better iq, though LA is becoming no slouch in that department as he becomes more accustomed to the NHL pace.

And one could argue that LA is the type of player who potentially makes the higher-skilled players better --- aka what we saw with Pettersson a few years back.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I want to win Stanley cups. This team is still rebuilding despite the delusions on this board. Were not winning **** with this "defense". So yeah, now is the time to develop the young players. HELLO?!

And please PLEASE explain to me how Strome helps this team win games. Please enlighten me.

Please point to where I said Strome helps them win games.

Hello.

Goodbye.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Someone suggested putting Panarin on the 2nd line, not a bad idea imo. He's one of the best in the league at creating offense 5v5 and he doesn't need Ziba to do it (propably).
This is a fantasy that needs to stop being indulged. ZBad is a legit top line center. With a better supporting cast, he is then toeing the line of what most around here would be screaming from the rooftops as "elite". Panarin is an elite top line player. He was brought in not to help elevate the second line but to help on the 1st. There is absolutely no way that Panarin is going to the second line to hopefully help Kakko.

And again, this is an 18 year old kid who will not be 19 until February. Perhaps claiming that his production will rival McDavid's as a rookie was not the right set of expectations to be created?

Reactions: Miamipuck

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site

I would agree. I think that Andersson deserves the chance moresoe than Howden. And Strome is doing himself no favors.

Reactions: haveandare

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
This is a fantasy that needs to stop being indulged. ZBad is a legit top line center. With a better supporting cast, he is then toeing the line of what most around here would be screaming from the rooftops as "elite". Panarin is an elite top line player. He was brought in not to help elevate the second line but to help on the 1st. There is absolutely no way that Panarin is going to the second line to hopefully help Kakko.

And again, this is an 18 year old kid who will not be 19 until February. Perhaps claiming that his production will rival McDavid's as a rookie was not the right set of expectations to be created?

I'm not one to set such expectations, 50-60 points seems reasonable, interview with finnish NHL players and the betting sites seem to be support that.

Just saying it's an option if things don't develop on the 2nd line. To me wingers are moveable throughout the lineup, plenty of great wingers play on 2nd lines and some even on 3rd lines. You're not moving Zibanejad anywhere obviously so the only moving pieces to get something going is on the wings unless they feel like bumping a center up which doesn't seem likely either.

Last edited:

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
Question for you. Do you resign Kreider at 7x7? I would deal him at the deadline.
I like him but not at that price.

Definitely wouldn't resign. He should be on a team that is looking to win now rather than a few years from now.

I don't think his game will age well. It's just his style. He isn't a great passer with the puck and gets his goals with pure speed and net presence rather than through positional awareness.

Reactions: CasusBelli

Peltz

Oct 4, 2019
I'm not one to set such expectations, 50-60 points seems reasonable, interview with finnish NHL players and the betting sites seem to be support that.

Just saying it's an option if things don't develop on the 2nd line. To me wingers are moveable throughout the lineup, plenty of great wingers play on 2nd lines and some even on 3rd lines. You're not moving Zibanejad anywhere obviously so the only moving pieces to get something going is on the wings unless they feel like bumping a center up which doesn't seem likely either.
I'm not a fan of messing with chemistry that works. The first line is playing well. They shouldn't be rewarded by being broken up.

I understand the desire to develop younger players, but they can still develop without the number 1 guys on their line.

Kakko needs time more than any other resource right now. No reason to put pressure on his timeline adjusting to the NHL by demanding he become productive with one of the top wingers in hockey to carry the team.

The fact that the first line is so deadly takes the pressure off the youngsters and gives them more opportunity to find their game. Not less.

Also, Panarin came here to play with Mika. Yes, he is on a team and ultimately needs to do whatever the coach says, but you don't want to stifle a talent like that.

Last edited:
Reactions: qq

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
He's fine on the second line for now, but would love for him to get some pp1 time. Should be easy enough for him to nab a few points and get the ball rolling.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
Would not have guessed that both Kakko & Hughes would go pointless through their first 2 NHL games...

JCProdigy

Apr 4, 2002
I want what I want
Agreed, I’d make the PP

Panarin - Zibanejad - Kakko
Trouba - Buchnevich

Strome - Andersson - Kreider
Fox - DeAngelo

I actually don't like taking Kreider off that first line. Other than his speed, he's elite at screening the goalie and tipping in shots. We've already seen numerous times where ZBad has benefited from his screens.

I'd prefer what they did for the one game in the preseason and have Kakko replace Buch if they wanted to get him first PP time.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Would not have guessed that both Kakko & Hughes would go pointless through their first 2 NHL games...
If you told me we scored 10 goals in our first two games I would be surprised that none of our top young players (Kakko, Lias and Fox would have zero points). Howden is the only one who has scored which was a big goal vs Winnipeg.

Ukkosenjumala

Nov 24, 2017
Finland
I'm not a fan of messing with chemistry that works. The first line is playing well. They shouldn't be rewarded by being broken up.

I understand the desire to develop younger players, but they can still develop without the number 1 guys on their line.

Kakko needs time more than any other resource right now. No reason to put pressure on his timeline adjusting to the NHL by demanding he become productive with one of the top wingers in hockey to carry the team.

The fact that the first line is so deadly takes the pressure off the youngsters and gives them more opportunity to find their game. Not less.

Also, Panarin came here to play with Mika. Yes, he is on a team and ultimately needs to do whatever the coach says, but you don't want to stifle a talent like that.

All of this is a bit pre-mature, I prefaced earlier that IF the 2nd line isn't developing then you need to take a look at doing something. To me and most people it's obvious already that Strome isn't the guy to center the 2nd line but seeing as it's not likely that they're gonna bump up Andersson, Panarin was the only other choice that came to mind. Chemistry is a bit of a strong word after 2 games and I don't advocate breaking them up so soon of course but I don't think with Panarin it's as much chemistry as the guy just being an elite line-driver. He's a cerebral player who can adjust to linemates very well.

I agree completely that Kakko needs time, I said as much when I talked about him earlier. I think that goes for everyone right now, 2 games in you're gonna need more time to decide anything. Panarin propably understood he came to a team that has a lot of young talent and is still rebuilding, I'm sure he's eager to play with more people than just one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad