Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
This is simply not true. I trust health organizations to know what they are talking about. And it's not just the CDC. The NHS (UK), the GGD (Netherlands), they all say the same thing.

2 of my employees are type-1 diabetics, and they were forced to stay home for 2 months by their doctor. They are 23 and 25, not overweight.

It is true. Go look at the freely available statistics for people with Type 1. Just because there was extra precaution being taken doesn't mean there was imminent danger. If the idea is to avoid risk and make everything as safe as possible, then we need to outlaw cars. Covid-19 doesn't even compare in a minute way to the risk that people take every day when they drive a car. The level of fear has exceeded the actual threat. Do you take the same precautions during flu season?

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
It is true. Go look at the freely available statistics for people with Type 1. Just because there was extra precaution being taken doesn't mean there was imminent danger. If the idea is to avoid risk and make everything as safe as possible, then we need to outlaw cars. Covid-19 doesn't even compare in a minute way to the risk that people take every day when they drive a car. The level of fear has exceeded the actual threat. Do you take the same precautions during flu season?

I listen to our doctors here in Austria.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I guess they are better than the ones I know here in the US. Congrats on being superior.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
Not my words. Your country's CDC says the same thing though
The CDC is not every doctor in the country. Also, the CDC has been wildly inaccurate with its predictions concerning the virus. Not a bit of the actual data supports any of their predictions. I know several doctors that from the beginning disagreed with much of what the CDC reported, and they have been proven correct over time.
Regardless, none of this changes the simple fact that traveling in a car is far more dangerous than this virus. So if your primary concern is removing risk for the players, they should never drive a car again. Should Kakko also hide himself during flu season? The flu is actually more dangerous to younger people than covid-19.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
Kakko has type 1 diabetes, not stage 4 cancer. Covid-19 is not a serious threat to him at all. He is many times more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the rink.
Most type 1s will agree. I have been a type 1 since my early teens and yes it sucks that our immune system sucks but man some people are being way to extreme over this.

First off when your in your early 20s even with subpar control over your sugars you don't really notice.
If you go years without taking good care of it by the time you reach my age (41) things tend to pop up like nerve damage, reduced eyesight and prone to infection.
Domi and Kakko I guarantee you prolly have extremely good A1Cs and the better your A1CS are consistently controlled around 7, the less complications arise.
97% of Diabetics who test positive are Elderly and Type 2 who are often much different then Type 1s
Most type 2 are obese and already suffer from some issues with their respiratory system.
With all the precautions being taken and given their age and obvious control of their sugars (poorly controlled type 1s struggle to gain and keep weight on) The chances of catching it let alone becoming gravely ill are extremely low IMO.

flying v 604

Sep 4, 2014
The CDC is not every doctor in the country. Also, the CDC has been wildly inaccurate with its predictions concerning the virus. Not a bit of the actual data supports any of their predictions. I know several doctors that from the beginning disagreed with much of what the CDC reported, and they have been proven correct over time.
Regardless, none of this changes the simple fact that traveling in a car is far more dangerous than this virus. So if your primary concern is removing risk for the players, they should never drive a car again. Should Kakko also hide himself during flu season? The flu is actually more dangerous to younger people than covid-19.
Exactly. As someone who is pro-return and type1 I have to chuckle at people thinking getting sick is a death sentence. Like I said in an earlier post there is a massive difference between a young healthy type1 getting sick compared to an elderly type1 or a type2 who usually become type2 because they are generally unhealthy.

Over the years I've been hospitalized for DKA which in my cases we're caused by flare-ups of my Chrons\Colitis. During those visits, 99% of the diabetics there were type2 over the age of 45, some were missing limbs had terrible infections etc. My point is the only good thing about being type1 is the fact that by fully regulating our insulin since we were kids, we know what our limits are and believe it or not our immune systems are fine as long as we take proper care like avoiding drinking and not taking the proper amount of Rapid or long-acting insulin.
I'm not saying it's not a risk but overall the risk is something we live with and accept especially at that age. It's like when we get a cut or the flu, it may take a little longer to clot or a few extra days off work but I've yet to meet a diabetic who locks themselves indoors based on a small chance it might make us deathly ill.

Reactions: bl02

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Got some interesting info on Kakko this morning and his military service

I'm more interested in whether or not Kakko while during the shutdown, has worked on his stamina and strength training. What ya think Kreids? I mean it was clearly obvious too me Kakko couldn't keep up with his linemates and seemed gassed 20-30 seconds into any shift he was on the ice.

The best he ever looked was when he was on the PP along the half wall when he really didn't need to skate too much and could rely on his puck handling skills. He also really needs to have some skating training to improve his speed and so I'm hoping while he was in Finland he was able to improve in all those areas.

Obviously me being here in America, I'm not too familiar with how Finland was handling the pandemic and so if it was anything like it's next door neighbor Sweden which has been quite lax in it's social distancing and stuff from what I've read and heard, could it be possible that Kakko was able to work on all the things I mentioned...stamina, strength training and improving his skating.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
I'm more interested in whether or not Kakko while during the shutdown, has worked on his stamina and strength training. What ya think Kreids? I mean it was clearly obvious too me Kakko couldn't keep up with his linemates and seemed gassed 20-30 seconds into any shift he was on the ice.

The best he ever looked was when he was on the PP along the half wall when he really didn't need to skate too much and could rely on his puck handling skills. He also really needs to have some skating training to improve his speed and so I'm hoping while he was in Finland he was able to improve in all those areas.

Obviously me being here in America, I'm not too familiar with how Finland was handling the pandemic and so if it was anything like it's next door neighbor Sweden which has been quite lax in it's social distancing and stuff from what I've read and heard, could it be possible that Kakko was able to work on all the things I mentioned...stamina, strength training and improving his skating.

I don't know the specifics of his training and what he mostly focused on. I know he trained with 3 friends/(former) teammates in Georgiev, Leevi Teisala and Aarne Intonen. I expect him doing what needed to be done to stay in shape. I have not heard anything about meeting up with Finnish coach Hannu Rautala like he did last year but that's certainly possible

Reactions: Maximus

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG

Less than 40,000 people in the US die from car accidents in an average year. There will probably be more than 200,000 COVID deaths in the US this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bozle

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Man wouldnt it be exciting if Kakko took a leap ahead when we start? Talk about a game changing event for us.
I don’t know if enough time has elapsed for him to improve on the things he needs to improve upon, but I could see the break doing him some good.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
I don’t know if enough time has elapsed for him to improve on the things he needs to improve upon, but I could see the break doing him some good.

I'm not sure how much he has been skating, but he probably has been working out a lot and getting stronger. Plus the time away will probably help him to gain perspective on what he has done and what he needs to do to be successful.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
Regardless, none of this changes the simple fact that traveling in a car is far more dangerous than this virus..

please stop preaching this. It’s ridiculous. Millions can can drive for decades for millions of miles with nothing more than a fender bender. We’re still trying to figure out this virus. Everybody is guessing and so far practically everybody has been wrong.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Exactly. As someone who is pro-return and type1 I have to chuckle at people thinking getting sick is a death sentence. Like I said in an earlier post there is a massive difference between a young healthy type1 getting sick compared to an elderly type1 or a type2 who usually become type2 because they are generally unhealthy.

Over the years I've been hospitalized for DKA which in my cases we're caused by flare-ups of my Chrons\Colitis. During those visits, 99% of the diabetics there were type2 over the age of 45, some were missing limbs had terrible infections etc. My point is the only good thing about being type1 is the fact that by fully regulating our insulin since we were kids, we know what our limits are and believe it or not our immune systems are fine as long as we take proper care like avoiding drinking and not taking the proper amount of Rapid or long-acting insulin.
I'm not saying it's not a risk but overall the risk is something we live with and accept especially at that age. It's like when we get a cut or the flu, it may take a little longer to clot or a few extra days off work but I've yet to meet a diabetic who locks themselves indoors based on a small chance it might make us deathly ill.

This is correct, having type 1 and being young there is no elevated risk really. He should be playing.

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
If he is properly maintaining his T1D, like all diabetics should be doing anyway, he is not at a higher risk to contract COVID-19 than a non-diabetic.

The same goes for being a celiac. While it is an immunodeficiency, it is not close to being the same risk level as other immunocompromised patients and is being classified as such. A slightly elevated risk than normal patients, sure.

The bigger risk could be IF he gets it. But even then, properly managed T1D patients just need to be more aware of DKA. And the only celiac patients that are really at risk once they get COVID are the ones with malnutrition/severe weight loss/etc.

But in general, he's not at higher risk to get it just because of T1D or being celiac. And in the health/shape that Kakko is in, he's not inherently at higher risk even if he gets it.

Should there be caution? Of course. Is it something to raise all the alarms about? No.

Last edited:

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
This isn't exactly true. T1 diabetics are a higher risk with COVID-19.

What are you basing this on? Everything I have read/heard suggests that he is not at higher risk as long as managing it properly, which I have to assume he is.

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
This is correct, having type 1 and being young there is no elevated risk really. He should be playing.

Contracting the diseases isn’t elevated yet his risk could be heightened along with all these players in a confined locker room, etc. The serious elevated risk is if he gets Covid and fending off the effects of the disease. Diabetics inflammatory response is often challenging in fighting off infections, etc.

Reactions: Black Aces

Black Aces

Oct 4, 2008
What are you basing this on? Everything I have read/heard suggests that he is not at higher risk as long as managing it properly, which I have to assume he is.

The CDC has stated that type 1, type 2, and gestational diabetes are at higher risk for worse outcomes if they contract the virus.

We don't know if he is at more risk to get infected if exposed. But he is at higher risk for a worse outcome. How much I am not sure.

In addition to this, anecdotally the young people I have seen do poorly were T1 diabetics. Yes, they were not pro hockey players. But they were otherwise healthy individuals.

Reactions: leetch99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad