Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Someones can think that staying to one more year in TPS would have been OK too in Kakko's case.
New York Rangers deserves all shit what they can ever get
of that how they used Kakko in NHL this past season.
OK, pal.

He wasn't a very good NHL player this season. I think he needs time to adjust to the speed of the NHL game. I think the best place to do that is the NHL.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
OK, pal.

He wasn't a very good NHL player this season. I think he needs time to adjust to the speed of the NHL game. I think the best place to do that is the NHL.

Yeah, I think the confidence will come in time, and his biggest weaknesses (skating & conditioning), wouldn't be changed whether he was in the NHL, AHL, or Liiga

Reactions: Thirty One

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Yeah, I think the confidence will come in time, and his biggest weaknesses (skating & conditioning), wouldn't be changed whether he was in the NHL, AHL, or Liiga
And just knowing how fast the space closes and then how fast he needs to make a decision.

Kords

Jun 19, 2019
Not sure how to link to it, but he's gotta new video of him practicing with Georgie on his IG. I love the kid's drive, you can tell he lives and breathes hockey.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Not sure how to link to it, but he's gotta new video of him practicing with Georgie on his IG. I love the kid's drive, you can tell he lives and breathes hockey.

Aarne Intonen and Leevi Teissala are on the ice as well. Tarmo Reunanen trains with them but wasn't there the last few days as he was visiting family

Reactions: Kords

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
after learning the Habs won’t risk diabetic Max Domi

“Sam Stern
@SternScouting
This is *exactly* what the Rangers need to do with Kakko.

His legs were gassed all year and considering he’s a diabetic as well it seems like the safe move.

Absolutely no need to risk injury or illness.

Let him recover and come back strong next season.“

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011

“Sam Stern
@SternScouting

His legs were gassed all year and considering he’s a diabetic as well it seems like the safe move.

Just a suggestion: Copy-paste the URL of the tweet on here, and it will automatically embed the tweet

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland

“Sam Stern
@SternScouting

This tweet seems to say nothing of substance. Montreal won't let Domi play if "it's not safe". Does this person think the other teams will send out their guys if the doctors tell them it's not safe? No team is going to do that, knowing the backlash and potential liability if something happened.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
The study shows that two thirds (65%) of COVID-19 patients with diabetes admitted to hospital are men, and the average age of all patients is 70 years. Worse blood sugar control did not seem to impact a patient's outcome, however the presence of diabetic complications and increasing age increase the risk of death, and increased BMI is associated with both increased risk of needing mechanical ventilation and with increased risk of death.
The CORONADO study analysed 1,317 patients admitted to 53 French hospitals (public and private) between 10 and 31 March 2020. The majority of hospitalised subjects had type 2 diabetes (89%) while only 3% had type 1 diabetes, with other types of diabetes in the remaining cases. In 3% of cases, diabetes was actually diagnosed during hospitalisation for COVID-19.

Microvascular complications (eye, kidney and nerves) were found in 47% of the subjects in the study, while macrovascular complications (arteries of the heart, brain, legs) were present in 41% of the patients analysed. Across all patients in this study, by day 7 one in five (20.3%) had been intubated and placed on a ventilator in intensive care, and one in 10 (10.3%) had died. A further 18% had been discharged home at this point.

The presence of microvascular or macrovascular complications each more than doubled the risk of death at day 7. Advanced age also substantially increased the risk of death, with the group of patients aged 75 years and more than 14 times more likely to die than younger patients aged under 55 years, while patients 65-74 years old were three times more likely to die than those under 55 years. The presence of the respiratory condition obstructive sleep apnoea almost tripled the risk of death at 7 days, as did the presence of dyspnoea symptoms (shortness of breath).

Increasing BMI raised the risk of reaching the combined primary outcome of the study (intubation/ventilation or death at day 7). Women were 25% less likely to reach the combined primary endpoint than men (a result that had borderline statistical significance). However, when looking at death only, men were not statistically more likely to die at day 7 than women.
The authors say: "The risk factors for severe form of COVID-19 are identical to those found in the general population: age and BMI."
They add: "Elderly populations with long-term diabetes with advanced diabetic complications and/or treated obstructive sleep apnoea were particularly at risk of early death, and might require specific management to avoid infection with the novel coronavirus. BMI also appears as an independent prognostic factor for COVID-19 severity in the population living with diabetes requiring hospital admission. The link between obesity and COVID-19 requires further study."

First study of COVID-19 patients with diabetes shows that 10% die within seven days of hospital admission

A 19 year old professional athlete with type-1 diabetes who will only be around people who are in a very strict quarantine with 24/7 access to testing & some of the best medical professionals in the world; is at an INCREDIBLY low risk. There is no chance he doesn’t play imo.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
The study shows that two thirds (65%) of COVID-19 patients with diabetes admitted to hospital are men, and the average age of all patients is 70 years. Worse blood sugar control did not seem to impact a patient's outcome, however the presence of diabetic complications and increasing age increase the risk of death, and increased BMI is associated with both increased risk of needing mechanical ventilation and with increased risk of death.
The CORONADO study analysed 1,317 patients admitted to 53 French hospitals (public and private) between 10 and 31 March 2020. The majority of hospitalised subjects had type 2 diabetes (89%) while only 3% had type 1 diabetes, with other types of diabetes in the remaining cases. In 3% of cases, diabetes was actually diagnosed during hospitalisation for COVID-19.

Microvascular complications (eye, kidney and nerves) were found in 47% of the subjects in the study, while macrovascular complications (arteries of the heart, brain, legs) were present in 41% of the patients analysed. Across all patients in this study, by day 7 one in five (20.3%) had been intubated and placed on a ventilator in intensive care, and one in 10 (10.3%) had died. A further 18% had been discharged home at this point.

The presence of microvascular or macrovascular complications each more than doubled the risk of death at day 7. Advanced age also substantially increased the risk of death, with the group of patients aged 75 years and more than 14 times more likely to die than younger patients aged under 55 years, while patients 65-74 years old were three times more likely to die than those under 55 years. The presence of the respiratory condition obstructive sleep apnoea almost tripled the risk of death at 7 days, as did the presence of dyspnoea symptoms (shortness of breath).

Increasing BMI raised the risk of reaching the combined primary outcome of the study (intubation/ventilation or death at day 7). Women were 25% less likely to reach the combined primary endpoint than men (a result that had borderline statistical significance). However, when looking at death only, men were not statistically more likely to die at day 7 than women.
The authors say: "The risk factors for severe form of COVID-19 are identical to those found in the general population: age and BMI."
They add: "Elderly populations with long-term diabetes with advanced diabetic complications and/or treated obstructive sleep apnoea were particularly at risk of early death, and might require specific management to avoid infection with the novel coronavirus. BMI also appears as an independent prognostic factor for COVID-19 severity in the population living with diabetes requiring hospital admission. The link between obesity and COVID-19 requires further study."

First study of COVID-19 patients with diabetes shows that 10% die within seven days of hospital admission

A 19 year old professional athlete with type-1 diabetes who will only be around people who are in a very strict quarantine with 24/7 access to testing & some of the best medical professionals in the world; is at an INCREDIBLY low risk. There is no chance he doesn’t play imo.

Yeah but people have been incredibly stupid about the virus. I’d rather lose the playin though, so keep him out.

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Was shooting pucks outside on his Instagram story today. Consistently going top corner lol. He also looked pretty big compared to last summer.

Reactions: bl02

NYSPORTS

back afta dis. . .
Jun 17, 2019
This tweet seems to say nothing of substance. Montreal won't let Domi play if "it's not safe". Does this person think the other teams will send out their guys if the doctors tell them it's not safe? No team is going to do that, knowing the backlash and potential liability if something happened.

nothing of substance yet post about substance. And people “like” your take lol.

Hilarious

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
nothing of substance yet post about substance. And people “like” your take lol.

Hilarious
I don't think there's anything hilarious about it. Saying we won't play our guy unless it's safe (in the context and scrutiny of COVID-19)...isn't that basically to be expected? Any team that knowingly played a guy despite doctors saying it was unsafe, that team would be absolutely excoriated.

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
I don't think there's anything hilarious about it. Saying we won't play our guy unless it's safe (in the context and scrutiny of COVID-19)...isn't that basically to be expected? Any team that knowingly played a guy despite doctors saying it was unsafe, that team would be absolutely excoriated.
Kakko has type 1 diabetes, not stage 4 cancer. Covid-19 is not a serious threat to him at all. He is many times more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the rink.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Kakko has type 1 diabetes, not stage 4 cancer. Covid-19 is not a serious threat to him at all. He is many times more likely to die in a car accident on the way to the rink.

Type-1 diabetics are high risk. Every health organization in the world has stated this.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That's fine, I didn't say anything about whether Kakko should or shouldn't play. I would expect that any player that team doctors determined would be "unsafe" in playing, would not play. I have no idea how that applies to Kakko or any other NHLer.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
they’re at higher risk for complications if infected.

I don’t know what the NHL protocols are for this but I’d rather take it out of our teams hands. They rush everyone and their mother back from Injury.

Oh, these players need to be evaluated by third party doctors. Team doctors are on the payroll. I don't trust them to make the right decision, sorry.

Reactions: nyr2k2

dshea19

Jun 9, 2015
Type-1 diabetics are high risk. Every health organization in the world has stated this.
Type 1 is a risk if you are overweight and older. Type 2 is the higher risk. Kakko is in no danger. Average age of deaths is around 80, with vast majority having other comorbidity issues. He is a young professional athlete in prime condition. He is many more times in danger from the ride to the rink than he is from Covid-19.

Amazing Kreiderman

Apr 11, 2011
Type 1 is a risk if you are overweight and older. Type 2 is the higher risk. Kakko is in no danger. Average age of deaths is around 80, with vast majority having other comorbidity issues. He is a young professional athlete in prime condition. He is many more times in danger from the ride to the rink than he is from Covid-19.

This is simply not true. I trust health organizations to know what they are talking about. And it's not just the CDC. The NHS (UK), the GGD (Netherlands), they all say the same thing.

2 of my employees are type-1 diabetics, and they were forced to stay home for 2 months by their doctor. They are 23 and 25, not overweight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad