Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
He didn't look good for long stretches of the season. At times he was Howden-level bad. I was hoping he'd be at least last years Chytil
This year's Chytil was a .38 PPG player compared to Kakko's .35, the latter being 18. People need to chill. What did Hughes do? Dach was playing with better linemates than Kakko majority of the year AND was getting more PP time and o-zone starts, the same pace essentially as far as PPG goes.

Reactions: egelband

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
The strength and conditioning will really help, but even with that, I think it's the decision-making that needs the most work. There were so many times last year where he'd come flying down the wing and have a great chance to rip on on net, but he'd hesitate and slow down and either flop a sharp-angle wrister right into the goalie's belly, or he'd throw the puck into the middle where it was stolen, or he'd try some weak wraparound. He generated some really good scoring chances that never even ended up with a SOG because he wasn't processing things fast enough. I think this is also why his SH% was so low--he had good opportunities that he turned into non-opportunities.

That stuff all hopefully is addressed by more experience. And of course if he's separating better from the opposition and moving with more speed, he'll have a little more time to make better decisions. I'm not worried, just surprised he was so...underwhelming last season.
Skating and conditioning need the most work. His skill set is tantalizing and elite. Once he improves his skating, gets rested over the summer (he's played so much hockey since last year), and improves his stamina and conditioning, he will be fine.

Reactions: CasusBelli

mrmovies779

The Greatest Teacher,Failure is.
Feb 5, 2013
Skating and conditioning need the most work. His skill set is tantalizing and elite. Once he improves his skating, gets rested over the summer (he's played so much hockey since last year), and improves his stamina and conditioning, he will be fine.
His decision making also needs to improve.Too many times he was slow to react with the puck resulting in giveaways or a weak shot on net.

Reactions: CasusBelli

LokiDog

Get pucks deep. Get pucks to the net. And, uh…
Sep 13, 2018
Dallas
He needs to work on his first step and his stamina. His edge work and speed in the O zone seem pretty good (can always improve) but the first step acceleration and endurance is what shows to be lacking most clearly. He’ll have a nice little burst playing keep away for a few seconds and fending off a checker, pass the puck away and if it comes back his way he’s gassed and noticeably more sluggish than the first time.

Otherwise he needs a lot of confidence to play his game effectively, I think. Quinn should throw him an 8 game audition in the top six when next season starts. Especially if he does improve his endurance a this off season, if he could pot a few goals early and be in the mix from the get go I think that confidence would lead to him being more decisive with the puck, believing in his skill set, shooting more, driving to the net more, etc.

Reactions: haveandare

Anthony5967

Dec 24, 2015
Strong Island, NY
He needs to work on his first step and his stamina. His edge work and speed in the O zone seem pretty good (can always improve) but the first step acceleration and endurance is what shows to be lacking most clearly. He’ll have a nice little burst playing keep away for a few seconds and fending off a checker, pass the puck away and if it comes back his way he’s gassed and noticeably more sluggish than the first time.

Otherwise he needs a lot of confidence to play his game effectively, I think. Quinn should throw him an 8 game audition in the top six when next season starts. Especially if he does improve his endurance a this off season, if he could pot a few goals early and be in the mix from the get go I think that confidence would lead to him being more decisive with the puck, believing in his skill set, shooting more, driving to the net more, etc.
He will have every chance to crack the top-6 with the likely Fast departure.

chosen

Aug 2, 2005
ASPG
I'd say if you were disappointed then you were expecting too much from an 18 year old player in his first year playing in North America in the best league in the world.

If you expected him to be arguably the worst forward in the league, you would not be disappointed. Otherwise....

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Statistically he was
He was by GAR. And near the bottom in P/60 5v5. That's just two ways of looking at it. And as others pointed out, his play did improve--statistically--after the first 25 games or so. His CF improved substantially. I mean IDK what the numbers say, buy Howden was trash all year long and Kaapo was better than him.

Kakko sucked overall last year but I don't believe for a second that he was the worst skater in the league.

Reactions: NYRFANMANI
Feb 27, 2002
NYC
He was by GAR. And near the bottom in P/60 5v5. That's just two ways of looking at it. And as others pointed out, his play did improve--statistically--after the first 25 games or so. His CF improved substantially. I mean IDK what the numbers say, buy Howden was trash all year long and Kaapo was better than him.

Kakko sucked overall last year but I don't believe for a second that he was the worst skater in the league.

The Rangers seem to have an annoying habit of always having the worst player in the league on their team. Glass, Haley, Nieves, and now Kakko.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
Totally tells a full story.

Eye test he was worse. So many times I saw him lose his man or just not properly cover him. He sucked at getting the puck out of the zone, and offensively he made many questionable decisions. It’s clear he’s not ready for the big show. He looked like a lost rookie. That doesn’t mean I don’t think he can get better, but he needs a lot of work, and it’s a big concern he won’t get it this offseason with everything going on.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
The Rangers seem to have an annoying habit of always having the worst player in the league on their team. Glass, Haley, Nieves, and now Kakko.

To be fair, Glass was probably legit. Some of the numbers surrounding his time here are mind-boggling.

e - didn't we go until January in his second season without him even being on the ice for a Rangers goal? And we finished the season with more shorties than goals with Tanner Glass on the ice? And somehow through that January stretch, Dom Moore had like 10 points? :laugh:

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Meeeeh, out of all the factors, I'd like to point out that he might be beating up himself the most.

This guy was the SHIET until he got to the NHL. Only every level he stomped people.

He might think he's letting people down, himself down. So many psychological factors ... that are neither linear nor advanced stats.

------

Actually, you know what? Just how dare you guys? Ugh, we need new supply bad.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
To be fair, Glass was probably legit. Some of the numbers surrounding his time here are mind-boggling.

e - didn't we go until January in his second season without him even being on the ice for a Rangers goal? And we finished the season with more shorties than goals with Tanner Glass on the ice? And somehow through that January stretch, Dom Moore had like 10 points? :laugh:
Hey man, some of us worked really hard to purge these memories. You just undid YEARS of suppression...

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003

Close. I think the second even strength goal he was on for was late January. It was something like 1 GF and 12 GA before he got the second. And the Rangers' 4-on-5 goals scored rate without Glass was better than the 5-on-5 goals scored rate with him. So yeah, it was alarming.

Mugless

Aug 26, 2004
Less time and space on the smaller ice surface, playing against the best players in the world. Being overly deferential to veteran teammates. Conditioning not up to par. All contribute to a slow start, but he seems like the type of kid who will work hard, make some adjustments and thrive with more experience.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Aren't you the same person who said Staal is better than Trouba?
Yes, but the advanced stats agree with me on that one.
ZU3uekV.png

Also, we’re talking about a veteran in the tail end of his career against a guy in the prime of his career. 26 year old Staal was heads & shoulders better than Trouba. Staal is also a very important leader on our team regardless of how much the progressive analytics types like to bash intangibles

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Yes, but the advanced stats agree with me on that one.
ZU3uekV.png

Also, we’re talking about a veteran in the tail end of his career against a guy in the prime of his career. 26 year old Staal was heads & shoulders better than Trouba. Staal is also a very important leader on our team regardless of how much the progressive analytics types like to bash intangibles

So wait, you're saying you'll never take advanced stats seriously, then attempting to cite them (incorrectly) to say Staal's better? I'm sorry, but it's very clear you have no idea what you're talking about here.

TheDirtyH

Jul 5, 2013
Chicago
I'll be curious how Kakko comes in next year. on one hand, the team was really coming on and I wouldn't be surprised if the team continuing to win, push for the playoffs, lean on the established superstars, and cohere as individuals into more stable, effective roles would've helped Kakko a lot. On the other hand, maybe an extended break could be to his benefit as well; we saw how much everyone from Kakko to Quinn was relieved to get him home to Finland in February. Maybe the space can help him put the struggles behind him (mentally) and help him to regain his confidence and come in next year fired up.

In any case, I don't buy that he was the worst player in the league. He wasn't even the worst on our team.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
So wait, you're saying you'll never take advanced stats seriously, then attempting to cite them (incorrectly) to say Staal's better? I'm sorry, but it's very clear you have no idea what you're talking about here.
You've never heard of using other peoples arguments against them even when you reject the premise of their argument? :laugh:
He has the lowest skatr score of any of our dmen, his whopping 17th percentile in shot assists backs up the eye test perfectly as he has the worst vision on the team. Whenever he gets the puck at the blueline he panics & immediately fires a slapshot wide of the net, regardless of what passing lanes are open. Many people thought he was a stud powerplay QB when we got him LOL, thank God for DeAngelo & Fox.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad