Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Foot speed is the only point of concern, today, but not a big one, yet.

No question skating is an issue and that can be worked on in the offseason with some power skating training but he also needs to have an intense offseason strength training regimen as well.

You must see this as well but he gets knocked off the puck too easily for a guy his size but he has alot of room to fill out and he's still so young that I'm not worried whatsoever.

That said, his last game vs the Isles he looked terrific and as I've said a bunch of times, it was the best he's looked as a Ranger as any issues even his skating didn't come up at all as he was pretty dominant.

He's going to be a star not a question, we just need to be a little more patient that's all.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
an 18 year old should not dominate the NHL unless your name is Crosby or mcdavid, those are generational talents....kakko and Hughes are future stars, there is a difference. everyone should have expected growing pains for both of them....when they are 20 and 21 they will both be top 20 players in the NHL, but for the time being they are children in a mans league which is fine!
We'll put.

Reactions: Rangers in 7

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I just don't think his foot speed is as big of an issue because his game isn't an open ice game..it's a small quarters game. His agility for his size is kinda freakish. He just needs to get stronger and better balance. His endurance is way more of an issue than his skating IMHO. I've always said you can be a slow skater if you're good along the boards. Kakko for his age is surprisingly good...but you can see in2 or 3 years he will probably be the best player in the league from the hashmarks down.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
No question skating is an issue and that can be worked on in the offseason with some power skating training but he also needs to have an intense offseason strength training regimen as well.

You must see this as well but he gets knocked off the puck too easily for a guy his size but he has alot of room to fill out and he's still so young that I'm not worried whatsoever.

That said, his last game vs the Isles he looked terrific and as I've said a bunch of times, it was the best he's looked as a Ranger as any issues even his skating didn't come up at all as he was pretty dominant.

He's going to be a star not a question, we just need to be a little more patient that's all.

Yeah these past couple of games I've liked how he has played. He's been better at holding the puck and skting with it. Setup some real nice chances for his teammates, got a few himself...if he comes back and plays with even more of a jump in his step I think the points will start coming, especially once he figures out how to start getting inside of defenders and attacking towards the net

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I'm not worried, but something ain't right. He went from being an impact player at the WJC, to looking like one of the best players in the WC that was chock full of good NHL players, to having only 17 points through 60 or so NHL games. I expected a 30 to 40 point rookie campaign. If he ends up with 25 or so points that's a disappointment in my book. Even pre draft I thought his ceiling was a 30 goal, 80 point forward, but I'm not so sure now.

Kakko strikes me as a kid that's the anti-Kravtsov. Super coachable and puts a lot of pressure on himself. He probably has a lot of coaches and teammates in his ear about how to adjust better to the NHL. He needs work on his game without the puck. I'm not sure if its coaching that's telling him not to do it, but just once I want to see him absolutely bully a defender and drive the net like I know he can.

Flat out, he's looked lost since December and he should have been in Hartford. Am I concerned by what I'm seeing? Yes, but I also think it's too soon to worry about his long term potential.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
I'm not worried, but something ain't right. He went from being an impact player at the WJC, to looking like one of the best players in the WC that was chock full of good NHL players, to having only 17 points through 60 or so NHL games. I expected a 30 to 40 point rookie campaign. If he ends up with 25 or so points that's a disappointment in my book. Even pre draft I thought his ceiling was a 30 goal, 80 point forward, but I'm not so sure now.

Kakko strikes me as a kid that's the anti-Kravtsov. Super coachable and puts a lot of pressure on himself. He probably has a lot of coaches and teammates in his ear about how to adjust better to the NHL. He needs work on his game without the puck. I'm not sure if its coaching that's telling him not to do it, but just once I want to see him absolutely bully a defender and drive the net like I know he can.

Flat out, he's looked lost since December and he should have been in Hartford. Am I concerned by what I'm seeing? Yes, but I also think it's too soon to worry about his long term potential.

Hes been better since the new year tbh.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
He's figuring it out. I havent seen anything from kakko that makes me worried. Most of his issues are indecision related. He's taking too long to decide what to do and it's costing him. He's got great instincts, a projectile frame, hands, vision, etc. He needs to work on his skating and his shot needs a ton of work. Those are things he can work on. His skating is already acceptable to me (but it can always be better). For his style, size, and game, speed isn't a big deal as much as agility and lower body strength are.

Last edited:

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
The problem with his shot is he can't get it off quickly in tight contested areas. Dmen at the NHL level are really good at reading when someone is taking a shot and putting their stick out last second if you have any sort of long trigger pull. I know they gave Chytil tape of Crosby, they should give KK tape of Matthews to see how he changes his release point to get his shot off.

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
He's figuring it out. I havent seen anything from kakko that makes me worried. Most of his issues are indecision related. He's taking too long to decide what to do and it's costing him. He's got great instincts, a projectile frame, hands, vision, etc. He needs to work on his skating and his shot needs a ton of work. Those are things he can work on. His skating is already acceptable to me (but it can always be better). For his style, size, and game, speed isn't a big deal as much as agility and lower body strength are.

If he has great instincts, he wouldn't be in his current predicament. But, I agree, he is figuring it out, and you can tell.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

Yeah, I feel like I'm watching an 18 year old adjust to the NHL. I can see glimpses of what Kakko is capable of being, but you can tell he's still figuring it out.

I think the challenge is that people don't always realize just how much of a difference there is between 18/19, and especially 18/20.

Compare Chytil at 20 to where he was at 18 for example. And with all due respect to Chytil, he's not Kakko. So that gives you an idea of what you're potentially looking at between Kakko at 18 vs. two years from now.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017

So you expected 30 points, but if he puts up 25 you will be disappointed. Okay.

Reactions: Nickmo82

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
His hands are amazing.

source.gif

Reactions: ecemleafs

Mac n Gs

Gorton plz
Jan 17, 2014
The problem with his shot is he can't get it off quickly in tight contested areas. Dmen at the NHL level are really good at reading when someone is taking a shot and putting their stick out last second if you have any sort of long trigger pull. I know they gave Chytil tape of Crosby, they should give KK tape of Matthews to see how he changes his release point to get his shot off.
A lot of young players - Matthews being one of them - have specialized shooting coaches that they work with in the offseason. I agree with your post, and I'd imagine the Rangers want Kakko to focus on those areas in his training this summer.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Right now, there are three 18 year old kids from the 2019 draft who have consistently been NHL regulars this season.

They are the top three picks in the draft, and they are all, more or less, in the same ballpark in terms of production.

So what we're seeing with Kakko isn't all that different than what we're seeing from his legit peers this season. If Hughes and Dach were pacing at 45 points, and Kakko was only pacing at half that amount, I might be a little surprised and concerned. But that's not the case.

BKGooner

Jun 23, 2017
not that their games are completely analogous, but the guy I always think of when trying to evaluate Kakko is Svechnikov. The way he is trying to put it together, but just doesnt have the timing quite right. Hopefully Kakko can have the same kind of season jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad