Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
URXSkAF.png
Uh... what am I looking at here? No title to the graph and no label to the x-axis...

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
But everyone was raving about how NHL ready Kakko was and how Hughes will be manhandled. Although in points they’re not far apart, Hughes is very noticeable when I watch the Devils. It’s funny I was one of the only people on here who said they’d rather have Hughes than Kakko prior to the draft
Hughes is getting manhandled though lol. He’s more “noticeable” because he can skate better, but he’s still having a disappointing season for a first overall. Just as Kakko is having a disappointing season for a 2nd.

But it is clear that Kakko isn’t NHL ready, the scouts were way off there.

Reactions: ZiGOODejad

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
He’s 18 years old. Please give him time.

Exactly time and a very intense off season training regiman this upcoming off season where Kakko gets power skating training as well as strength and stamina training. He will do that as he never had time this past offseason to do that due to his league play in Finland and all the tournaments he was in.

I'm very confident like a Lemieux and a Chytil did this past off season, both of whom came into camp this year faster and stronger and it's very very noticeable with both of them, the same will occur with Kakko.

Nothing to worry about at all seeing this isn't a "skills issue" with him as he has an elite skill set...it's a "stamina and skating issue" this year. That can be taken care of this offseason and we'll see the Kakko we hoped he would be this year start to emerge.

This is another reason why sending him down to the AHL is not going to happen nor the right thing to do IMO seeing the same shit that's happening here with him not being able to keep up with the pace of play would happen in Hartford.

So IMO you might as well keep him here where he's insulated for the most part and the pressure really isn't all that intense for him compared to if he went to Hartford where he'd have a bullseye on his back and he would be expected to produce something he's not ready to do at this point.

Last edited:

GoAwayGiannone

Feb 2, 2012
Queens, New York
Let's say the absolute impossible happens and they somehow manage to not only climb onto a playoff spot, but make it past a round. Would it be more beneficial for Kakko in the described scenario, (that isnt going to happen) or get in a longer offseason of weight training in order to become faster and stronger next season, which will happen naturally as he's only 18, but to a lesser degree than if he was to hit the weights heavy.

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA
Let's say the absolute impossible happens and they somehow manage to not only climb onto a playoff spot, but make it past a round. Would it be more beneficial for Kakko in the described scenario, (that isnt going to happen) or get in a longer offseason of weight training in order to become faster and stronger next season, which will happen naturally as he's only 18, but to a lesser degree than if he was to hit the weights heavy.

I don't think it matters either way for Kakko in your scenarios and no the Rangers aren't going on any miracle playoff run. Next year is a different story but this year it's a pipe dream.. That said, this year he is what Kakko is...an 18 year old who has serious skills but can't make it past 20-30 seconds of any shift withought being gassed and it's not going to change for now.

Next year tho is a different story as we'll see a different Kakko seeing as you know if it's obvious to me and others that he needs to improve his skating, stamina and strength that the training staff will come up with an intense offseason regimen that will address these obvious weaknesses of his.

What's very promising is that there is no question about his skill set and that it's simply a conditioning issue. That can be corrected.

I dunno maybe I'm in the minority here, but I have no concerns whatsoever about Kakko and that he'll ultimately be what a 2nd overall player in a draft is expected to be. For those of y'all in here who are worried, keep in mind Kakko is just 18 and there's a reason why he was so highly touted...it wasn't a fluke.
An offseason that consists of all the things I described above will be just what the doctor ordered...let it be written..let it be done!...:)

will1066

Your positivity is not welcomed
Oct 12, 2008
He’s 18 years old. Please give him time.

No offense, and nothing personal, but the "he's 18, give him time" excuse is tiresome. Do we always preface McKegg sucks "because he's dumb"? It doesn't change the reality of the here and now, which is he's not effective (not my careful choice of word here).

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
No offense, and nothing personal, but the "he's 18, give him time" excuse is tiresome. Do we always preface McKegg sucks "because he's dumb"? It doesn't change the reality of the here and now, which is he's not effective (not my careful choice of word here).
Not a good take.

An 18 year old player #2OA pick and is extremely likely to change. And in the near term.

A 27 year old journeyman is not.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

He's played 40 nhl games and we haven't hit the AS break and you're tired.

Maybe go take a look back at some of the top 5 picks over the past decade, and how they performed in their 18 year old season.

For every McKinnon, there's a Barkov (who had 35 pts his rookie season). Or Draisaitl who had 7 pts in 37 games after coming over from Europe.

It's not easy to transition from Europe at 18 right into the NHL. There are far bigger life changes than some kid who grew up in Ontario.

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
McKegg is not an 18 year old who had to move halfway around the world and away form his family to play in the best league in the world. Nor is McGegg playing over half of his rookie season at 18 years old.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I hope all of you guys are right. I want to see him live up to his potential like the rest of you. I guess he is learning if not improving. That is about as good as I can say about him right now.

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
an 18 year old should not dominate the NHL unless your name is Crosby or mcdavid, those are generational talents....kakko and Hughes are future stars, there is a difference. everyone should have expected growing pains for both of them....when they are 20 and 21 they will both be top 20 players in the NHL, but for the time being they are children in a mans league which is fine!

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I hope all of you guys are right. I want to see him live up to his potential like the rest of you. I guess he is learning if not improving. That is about as good as I can say about him right now.
People in general, not you specifically, made up fantasy numbers of what they believed an 18 year old would do in his rookie season. The 50 point projections were not even close to the realm of reality. By and large, he is performing as I expected an 18 year old would.

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
an 18 year old should not dominate the NHL unless your name is Crosby or mcdavid, those are generational talents....kakko and Hughes are future stars, there is a difference. everyone should have expected growing pains for both of them....when they are 20 and 21 they will both be top 20 players in the NHL, but for the time being they are children in a mans league which is fine!

We are our own worst enemy sometimes.

Reactions: leetch99

Rangers in 7

Dec 17, 2015
Long Island
We are our own worst enemy sometimes.
I'm assuming your criticizing that prediction....hughes is going to be dynamic, you can see it, his team is terrible....kakko to a similar extent needs a few years to grow. I truly believe in 3 or so years we will both be discussing how truly skilled they are....maybe I should have prefaced that they will be top 20 in their position...but they are both going to be very very good players

will1066

Oct 12, 2008
I'm assuming your criticizing that prediction....hughes is going to be dynamic, you can see it, his team is terrible....kakko to a similar extent needs a few years to grow. I truly believe in 3 or so years we will both be discussing how truly skilled they are....maybe I should have prefaced that they will be top 20 in their position...but they are both going to be very very good players

Yes, at their positions, I can believe.

Reactions: Rangers in 7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad