Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntNYR

Apr 30, 2019
I've never been so happy to see a Devils logo pop up as during the draft lottery in April
To me that moment was when Blackhawks went up and pretty much confirmed the earlier Viasat leak. Before that I'd been on an endless "must be fake"-loop.

Now Kaapo go prove us right.

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
1) A number of young players made great strides last year.

2) We’re 6 games into this season.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but which young players? Buch? He's already down the line up again. Certainly not either Andersson or Chytl, both of whom Quinn seems to have zero patience for. Skjei was bad last season and he's bad to start this season. Mika isn't a young guy anymore.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
I'm not trying to be difficult here, but which young players? Buch? He's already down the line up again. Certainly not either Andersson or Chytl, both of whom Quinn seems to have zero patience for. Skjei was bad last season and he's bad to start this season. Mika isn't a young guy anymore.
Yes, Buch. He was the team’s best player in the 3rd last game. And DeAngelo (who I am notably not a cheerleader of), though he’s started slow post-holdout. Chytil has been disappointingly demoted, but has thrived since being sent down, so seems like the right choice. And while I too would like Andersson bumped higher in the lineup, is there any denying his play has improved?

TheBloodyNine

Pure Bred Soviet Savage
Oct 8, 2016
Queens
Yes, Buch. He was the team’s best player in the 3rd last game. And DeAngelo (who I am notably not a cheerleader of), though he’s started slow post-holdout. Chytil has been disappointingly demoted, but has thrived since being sent down, so seems like the right choice. And while I too would like Andersson bumped higher in the lineup, is there any denying his play has improved?
Again, Buch is already in his doghouse 6 games into the season, so if anything he's regressed back to where he was. Andersson might have improved but he can't even get a chance to show it at a higher level - at that point, what does it even matter? How's he going to get better getting next to no ice time. Tough to really measure improvement there. Chytil has played well in Hartford but how long will his leash be once he comes back up? If what we've seen so far is any indication, not very long.

He has no patience with these young players, development is not on his mind at all.

Tony D had a very good second half I will give you that, but he still struggles defensively and the jury is still out as to whether or not he will be a part of this team long term.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I keep saying forever confidence is everything for young players.

The coach sure hasn't done a good job with that on Kakko.

And I'll still say playing him in lower lines isn't sheltering him, it's throwing him into the ice to get dominated the way this lineup has been built.
Outside of the top2 there's no quality F vets.

Reactions: Berserk

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey

And I'll still say playing him in lower lines isn't sheltering him, it's throwing him into the ice to get dominated the way this lineup has been built.
He’s not really in a different situation than most top 2 picks are in. And his conditioning isn’t great, so I don’t know if giving him more minutes is the answer to getting a better performance out of him

Kaako Kappo

Kaako Kappo
Oct 12, 2016
Kaako Kappo
He’s not really in a different situation than most top 2 picks are in. And his conditioning isn’t great, so I don’t know if giving him more minutes is the answer to getting a better performance out of him
I don't understand this. Everything that has been told about him would've indicated that he's very well conditioned and in an excellent shape.

GeorgeKaplan

Dec 19, 2011
New Jersey
I don't understand this. Everything that has been told about him would've indicated that he's very well conditioned and in an excellent shape.
Quinn mentioned him looking tired during the game Friday, and he’s looked tired as games and shifts have gone on. He could be well conditioned and great shape, but not exactly up to par for a league he’s never played in

Reactions: romba

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Quinn mentioned him looking tired during the game Friday, and he’s looked tired as games and shifts have gone on. He could be well conditioned and great shape, but not exactly up to par for a league he’s never played in

The jump between the NHL and the next closest league in the world, regardless of which league one believes it to be, is SIGNIFICANT.

I know this isn’t a great revelation to anyone on here, but it’s also easy to take that difference for granted.

AntNYR

Apr 30, 2019

Like it or not, Kreider is a quality NHL vet. Actually he is the third best forward this team has, even if his play so far this season hasn't shown it. Kakko has been given a decent chance to succeed but he hasn't yet been able to grasp it, and that's not solely on Quinn, Rangers lack of a proper #2C, Kreider's troubles etc. but also on Kakko. We can't expect the other two forwards to carry Kakko, even if he is only a rookie 6 games into his NHL career. Most players start their NHL careers on the lower lines without any PP time, with less than stellar linemates yet many still manage to keep their confidence and find success.

Rangers are a young team that had the least ROW of any team last season. No prospect here is going to be in a perfect situation and we must manage with what we have. This team, Kakko and his linemates are going to struggle at times, but hopefully they'll also develop and find some success. To me Kakko has already improved, and he seems both more active and less tentative. Have some patience folks.

Reactions: xigon
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad