Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

You 'Orns!
Feb 11, 2004
Mannahatta
Kakko plays with a very short stick for a guy his size. I think that aids his close-in puck control, but does anyone think it hurts his shot? Do you think he might look into trying a longer stick during the offseason?

aufheben

#Norris4Fox
Jan 31, 2013
New Jersey
Right now, there are three 18 year old kids from the 2019 draft who have consistently been NHL regulars this season.

They are the top three picks in the draft, and they are all, more or less, in the same ballpark in terms of production.

So what we're seeing with Kakko isn't all that different than what we're seeing from his legit peers this season. If Hughes and Dach were pacing at 45 points, and Kakko was only pacing at half that amount, I might be a little surprised and concerned. But that's not the case.
Do you have a projection for Kakko or are you not yet comfortable enough in that regard?

KirkAlbuquerque

#WeNeverGetAGoodCoach
Mar 12, 2014
New York
His production stinks but then again so does Chytils and everyone loves him this season . The big thing is he’s not the invisible boy he was during large stretches of November - December . He’s playing better. Once Kreider is moved you would have to think the kids line gets broken up and either Filip or Kaapo get some looks with our better players which should give them more chances to score .

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I just don't get the stigma of being sent down to the AHL as a top draft pick.

The NHL's current leading scorer in his rookie season was sent all the way down to the WHL, a minor league.

Kakko is horrendous so far as a NHLer and needs time in the minors to dominate again.

Reactions: I Eat Crow

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
I'd like a bit more assertiveness. 'Fake until you make it'. I was yelling at the TV last night as he he was in a short foot race to a loose puck at the side boards in the O zone. He and sir Dallas Player were going to arrive at roughly the same moment. Instead of jostling for position or engaging along the boards he tried a fly by flick of the puck which the Dallas player contained. Kakko ended up 5 feet away due to said fly by, then had to stop himself (.5 seconds), restart his jets (.5 seconds) and attempted to steal the puck back. The Dallas player actually had trouble corralling the puck on the play but was able to use the extra second Kakko gave him to get it under control. KK needs to man up in those situations and engage the defender. He's gotten better regarding this but it annoyed me to see him take the easy way out.

Other than that he's made nice improvements with his decision making which is all you can ask for. Not forcing dumb cross ice passes into covered players (rest of the team was actually supremely guilty of this last night). Physical changes need to take place in the off season.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I just don't get the stigma of being sent down to the AHL as a top draft pick.

The NHL's current leading scorer in his rookie season was sent all the way down to the WHL, a minor league.

Kakko is horrendous so far as a NHLer and needs time in the minors to dominate again.
No stigma for me, but the issue I see is he's having trouble adjusting to the pace of the NHL. Many times he's in a good spot to shoot or pass and it looks like the defender closes on him a lot quicker than he expected and he gets away a muffled shot or just keeps stickhandling into a lesser chance. Best place to get accustomed to the NHL pace is the NHL.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I'm not worried, but something ain't right. He went from being an impact player at the WJC, to looking like one of the best players in the WC that was chock full of good NHL players, to having only 17 points through 60 or so NHL games. I expected a 30 to 40 point rookie campaign. If he ends up with 25 or so points that's a disappointment in my book. Even pre draft I thought his ceiling was a 30 goal, 80 point forward, but I'm not so sure now.

Kakko strikes me as a kid that's the anti-Kravtsov. Super coachable and puts a lot of pressure on himself. He probably has a lot of coaches and teammates in his ear about how to adjust better to the NHL. He needs work on his game without the puck. I'm not sure if its coaching that's telling him not to do it, but just once I want to see him absolutely bully a defender and drive the net like I know he can.

Flat out, he's looked lost since December and he should have been in Hartford. Am I concerned by what I'm seeing? Yes, but I also think it's too soon to worry about his long term potential.

Last few games I've seen him play, he's been pretty damn good. Creating chances, getting shots on net etc. Definitely not looking lost IMHO.

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
It's starting to look like we're going to be able to point to that Islanders game pre-All Star break as a point where he made a leap in development.

It would be nice if he makes another before the season is out, but if he can just maintain this play for the last 31 games that will be fine by me.

And I could see him very realistically hitting 30 points if he does.

Reactions: Maximus

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
It's starting to look like we're going to be able to point to that Islanders game pre-All Star break as a point where he made a leap in development.

It would be nice if he makes another before the season is out, but if he can just maintain this play for the last 31 games that will be fine by me.

He's already on pace for 30 points

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
He is also playing as an 18 year old a long way from his own country and at the same time battling daily living a life with Diabetes and Celiac disease . Having one of those diseases in one thing...having two is a load to carry . Anyways...food for thought .

Maximus

Dec 23, 2003
Doylestown, PA

Your right, I recall saying something after the Islander game that I thought it was his best game as a Ranger...he was terrific in all aspects and was as engaged as we had ever seen him. Tho he hasn't looked as good as he did in that Islander game, he's been better the past 3 games than he had been 3 weeks ago when he looked lost.

I'm telling you, give him an offseason with no WC games and just and intense training regimen where he improves his stamina and power skating and some serious weight training to get stronger, I have not a doubt in the world, Kakko comes into training camp next year and looks like a totally different guy and will have a much much better season in 2020-21.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
I don’t get where this idea his shot is weak comes from. In no scouting reports do I see this, when I asked Scouching he laughed and said anyone who thinks that doesn’t know what they’re talking about. His shots get blocked a fair bit but I think it’s because of confidence/indecisiveness and how hesitant he is getting his shot off, rather than his shot itself. Watch any Liiga highlights or even him in practise/warmup and he has a great shot.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I'd have thought with Kreider out, he'd move up in the lineup. He's shown enough recently that it wouldn't be charity or whatever.

Give him a change with some players who can create/score and see what happens.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
I don’t get where this idea his shot is weak comes from. In no scouting reports do I see this, when I asked Scouching he laughed and said anyone who thinks that doesn’t know what they’re talking about. His shots get blocked a fair bit but I think it’s because of confidence/indecisiveness and how hesitant he is getting his shot off, rather than his shot itself. Watch any Liiga highlights or even him in practise/warmup and he has a great shot.

I haven't seen it. I've literally never seen him wire a shot. Not once. But hey, maybe I'm wrong. You can of course go by scouting report and what a guy does during warmups, but I've literally never seen him fire off a great shot.

Svenhart2008

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
I haven't seen it. I've literally never seen him wire a shot. Not once. But hey, maybe I'm wrong. You can of course go by scouting report and what a guy does during warmups, but I've literally never seen him fire off a great shot.

His very first game as a ranger, pre-season. One-timer, lower right circle pp. Wired it off the crossbar. His very first shot.

dangsLITE

Jan 16, 2011
NYC
I expected after his highlight reel first goal to see a few more like that throughout the season (showcasing his patience and soft hands), even if it was just every 8-12 games or whatever and if he played somewhat so-so outside of those moments.

Not worried at this point but rather disappointing that after 50ish games he hasn't really made a play like that again when he was able to just 10 or so games in.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
His very first game as a ranger, pre-season. One-timer, lower right circle pp. Wired it off the crossbar. His very first shot.
I need to see a clip. Don't remember that. If it's preseason I have to watch it on an itty bitty screen off an illegal stream since crappy ass NHL center ice doesn't give you preseason games.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Scouting reports are funny...I remember reading lias Anderssons scouting report
High motor. High character. A leader.

Roflmao

ThirdEye

Nov 28, 2006
New York
Scouting reports are funny...I remember reading lias Anderssons scouting report
High motor. High character. A leader.

Roflmao

Except that he does have a good shot... It's one of the primary reasons he was ranked so high. Just because he hasn't figured out how to find space and get it off efficiently at the NHL level doesn't negate that

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Except that he does have a good shot... It's one of the primary reasons he was ranked so high. Just because he hasn't figured out how to find space and get it off efficiently at the NHL level doesn't negate that
To me, a guy doesn't have a good shot till he can score on his shot.

I think it's also important to remember that if Marc staal has an hour and 45 minutes to wind up for his slapper..he's got a canon.

Maybe kakko has great , unseen to me, velocity...but can't get it off...doesn't that mean that he's got a bad shot and needs to work on it?

What if kakko has a great release, great velocity and dog crap accurate....doesn't that mean he has a bad shot and needs to work on it?

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017
Kakko plays with a very short stick for a guy his size. I think that aids his close-in puck control, but does anyone think it hurts his shot? Do you think he might look into trying a longer stick during the offseason?
Changing stick length is a big adjustment. Changing the curve is more reasonable; a more open curve might be more fitting, if he’s going to snipe, though I don’t know how open his current curve is.

Reactions: 007

True Blue

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I'd have thought with Kreider out, he'd move up in the lineup. He's shown enough recently that it wouldn't be charity or whatever.

Give him a change with some players who can create/score and see what happens.
He is playing RW. Kreider is LW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad