Player Discussion Kaapo Kakko: Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Changing stick length is a big adjustment. Changing the curve is more reasonable; a more open curve might be more fitting, if he’s going to snipe, though I don’t know how open his current curve is.
He’s switched back & forth between a Bauer 2N Pro & some CCM stick. I know with the Bauer he was using a P92, which is the most open of the stock curves. I think he should maybe switch to a low kickpoint stick as that gives you a quicker release (he uses a mid kickpoint)

But again I think it’s more so that he’s hesitant about shooting and not used to the time & space in the NHL; than his actual shooting mechanics.

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
To me, a guy doesn't have a good shot till he can score on his shot.
This makes sense, because he's gotten off some nice wristers that have either hit the post or been saved by the goalie which would refute your 'bad shot' argument, but they didn't go in soooo000....*shrug*

I mean Panarin was stoned the other day multiple times on lasers from prime positions. Doesn't mean the shots he took weren't excellent, there's a crap ton of luck and circumstances that it takes for even great shots to find their way in on today's excellent composed butterfly goalies.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
This makes sense, because he's gotten off some nice wristers that have either hit the post or been saved by the goalie which would refute your 'bad shot' argument, but they didn't go in soooo000....*shrug*

I mean Panarin was stoned the other day multiple times on lasers from prime positions. Doesn't mean the shots he took weren't excellent, there's a crap ton of luck and circumstances that it takes for even great shots to find their way in on today's excellent composed butterfly goalies.
Jesus Christ

Kakko has scored how many goals off of his shot..not talking dekes...not talking deflections..not talking shots where the goalie didn't see it ..talking about him...shooting the puck... Past the goalie? Has he had even 1?

Panarin probably has 15...this season.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
And hell..show me these shots he's taken that have ripped off the post...I seriously want to see them, because I honestly don't remember any of these...I know he hit the post on a deke or 2..but I really don't remember him beating a goalie clean with his shot and then it went post and out

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
Jesus Christ

Kakko has scored how many goals off of his shot..not talking dekes...not talking deflections..not talking shots where the goalie didn't see it ..talking about him...shooting the puck... Past the goalie? Has he had even 1?

Panarin probably has 15...this season.
The point was you can't judge a shot by only if it went in. If you want to try to blow that up by saying Panarin if a future HOF player and Kakko hasn't done crap as of yet, go ahead. My point still stands. Just because a shot doesn't make its way into the net, doesn't mean it wasn't a good one.

Gl finding highlights of posts hit, sounds like a real PITA chore.

Edit: The better a shot, the more likely it goes in, but with KK having difficulty finding room to get it off it is a bit early to judge the shot itself, as opposed to his ability to get open/find time and space.

Last edited:

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
to me it looks like Kakko's shot is more like Nash's shot...Nash never had an overpowering or snappy shot but he was great at placement with it. When you look at more than just Kakko's NHL time you can see him scoring with his shot plenty and it seems like he was pretty good at finding the holes in a goalie with it.

Reactions: 007 and romba

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey
to me it looks like Kakko's shot is more like Nash's shot...Nash never had an overpowering or snappy shot but he was great at placement with it. When you look at more than just Kakko's NHL time you can see him scoring with his shot plenty and it seems like he was pretty good at finding the holes in a goalie with it.
I imagine he'd add some velocity to it as well as he grows into his Man body

Harbour Dog

Jul 16, 2015
St. John's
I think the velocity and accuracy of Kakko's shot is fine, and it will only get better.

I don't think that he was getting it off quickly enough for most of the season, and he hasn't been finding soft spots in defensive coverage where he could get more dangerous shots.

And this makes a lot of sense to me, as he has always been the guy on his line until now. He has never been the one trying to get open each shift to receive a pass. He wants to have the puck, draw guys to him, beat them and create opportunities.

Ideally, he becomes that driving force at the NHL level, but there is a valuable lesson for him to gain from watching how guys create a couple seconds of space for themselves in the slot. That's all it takes at this level for your teammates to put the puck on your stick.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
He’s switched back & forth between a Bauer 2N Pro & some CCM stick. I know with the Bauer he was using a P92, which is the most open of the stock curves. I think he should maybe switch to a low kickpoint stick as that gives you a quicker release (he uses a mid kickpoint)

But again I think it’s more so that he’s hesitant about shooting and not used to the time & space in the NHL; than his actual shooting mechanics.

You fell for the hockey equipment marketing. Low vs mid kickpoint is negligible at the level these guys can torque the stick. Plus Pro sticks can be manufactured to be whatever the player's preference and is painted to the current model. Kane's Vapors aren't actually Vapors for example.

I used to be a Bauer nut then fell in love with Easton Stealths all the way up until Easton dissolved. Some guys will switch sticks like crazy (Malkin is a good example) if they feel like their shot is off or they aren't playing up to their standard.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
You fell for the hockey equipment marketing. Low vs mid kickpoint is negligible at the level these guys can torque the stick. Plus Pro sticks can be manufactured to be whatever the player's preference and is painted to the current model. Kane's Vapors aren't actually Vapors for example.

I used to be a Bauer nut then fell in love with Easton Stealths all the way up until Easton dissolved. Some guys will switch sticks like crazy (Malkin is a good example) if they feel like their shot is off or they aren't playing up to their standard.
I believe it was ProStockHockey who got his stick and said that’s what he uses, they specify when players are using a different stick wrapped in something else. They said he used the retail version

I know a lot of it is marketing but you don’t think the technology in the stick makes any significant difference? If not then why are players so particular about them? I obviously don’t play at the level of these guys but I notice a difference that’s too significant to be placebo. The blade of my Nexus seemed way more damp and didn’t have the same pop the Vapor has

romba

Aug 2, 2005
New Jersey

uhhhhhhh...
giphy.gif

nyrage

Aug 2, 2005
Houston, TX
I’ve never used a non-composite stick in my life other than the plastic ones in PE class :laugh:

I'm just old. Back in the old days, you basically only had a choice of curve and length of your stick. At least sticks weren't expensive back then. I wouldn't have broken so many sticks on other players if they were this expensive. I might have even been a Lady Byng winner.

Anyway, KK will figure things out. It just takes time. Not only will he physically mature, but he will also learn what works, what doesn't work, and things like how to create space. Confidence is a huge factor, too.

CasusBelli

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 6, 2017

Yeah, he’s not a pure shooter, so an OV or Matthews curve might not be his thing ... but a Thornton curve definitely isn’t either.

Edit: maybe the flex is worth revisiting? He could use some more whip on his shot maybe? It might give him more confidence to just let it rip.

WojtekWolski86

Nov 14, 2019
I believe it was ProStockHockey who got his stick and said that’s what he uses, they specify when players are using a different stick wrapped in something else. They said he used the retail version

I know a lot of it is marketing but you don’t think the technology in the stick makes any significant difference? If not then why are players so particular about them? I obviously don’t play at the level of these guys but I notice a difference that’s too significant to be placebo. The blade of my Nexus seemed way more damp and didn’t have the same pop the Vapor has

Players are particular and will stick with a particular kickpoint, flex, lie and blade pattern for years until the manufacturer doesn't want to support it anymore (Mike Green or St Louis with Easton Stealth). They will wrap the current retail stick design on a legacy design. Some guys like off the shelf curves.

I wouldn't read into him switching sticks as something that is going to drastically change his shot unless he switches flex, which is whole another story where guys start the year at say 100 flex and finish at 80 flex when they are fatigued.

Inferno

Nov 27, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Idk what the charts say but the last 3 games for kk have been really good. He's being a bit more decisive and making a lot of good plays out there.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Love that Quinn is giving him a real chance out then when he puts him on a line with McKegg. Fast should be on the 3rd/4th line and KK playing with Strome and Breadman for the remainder of the season.

Reactions: Rangers in 7
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad