Dreger: JVR looking for 6x6 to stay with Leafs

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Too much money invested in wingers. Marleau, Marner, Nylander...not to mention Martin, Komarov and Brown all making around 3 and providing very little offfence.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
How many young guys do you want to keep throwing in there? Off the top of my head they had Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Hyman and brown from last year. This year they have been playing in limited roles Gauthier, Kapanen, Leivo, Dermott and Borgman. I’m sure I’m also forgetting a player or 2. Not to mention they have other young guys as well still learning in Reilly You need leaders on the team. Or you just end up like the oilers.
Yes, but they need to think long term how much money do you think Nylander will get? Matthews and Marner? Then comes next expansion draft. I like JVR and think he provides offense but it is also a business. Meaning if he gets 6×6 contract and does he offer leadership? He is 29 he will be 35 by end of contract. The chances of him being still productive will not be good. Just like Marleau when he signed that long term but he offers leadership. He been to stanley cup final. So, management jumped all over Marleau and he is providing role Leafs did not have previous around decade aka Mats Sundin.

Last edited:
Reactions: CujosMask

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
JVR realizes if he pushes too much Toronto will let him walk so obviously he wants to stay and be a part of the future here. In order to do that he'll have to leave some money on the table.

I hope Lou can work some magic and get it closer to 5x5... maybe settle on 5.5 or something.

Hyman - Matthews - Marner
JVR - Nylander - Kapanen
Marleau - Kadri - Brown
Leivo - Aaltonen - Soshnikov/Martin

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
Too much money invested in wingers. Marleau, Marner, Nylander...not to mention Martin, Komarov and Brown all making around 3 and providing very little offfence.

so much wrong with this post.

1. Marleau's deal ends after year 1 of Matthews and Marner's new contracts.
2. Nylander will be a center as of next year.
3. Martin makes 2.5 million.
4. Komarov is a UFA this summer.
5. Brown makes 2.1, had 20 goals as a rookie and is on pace to get close to that again.

Pucker77

May 10, 2012
Minnesota
The price is very fair for what he is capable of, but I think the Leafs dont go 6 years.

I like JVR, despite his defensive deficiencies, but 29-35 is tough to predict his production. The good news is that he is not overly physical so his body might not breakdown, and he is a decent skater and his game is not predicated on speed, so that should not be a problem either. However, with the raises the young kids will need over the next few years, I dont know if the Leafs will take a chance on his production even though it would only be a $1.75 mil raise.

The problem for me is the hype hegets for whathe does in front of the net. He is fantastic in tight like that, but there are several teams that has great offenses without a JVR-type on their team.

The only question I have is which would you prefer: JVR at $6 mil who may score 25-30 goals, 50-60 points, but is not very good defensively. Or take Kapanen at >$1 mil with 15-20 goals, 40-50 points, but adds speed to the team and possibly prevents more goals than JVR due to his defensive abilities?

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
so much wrong with this post.

1. Marleau's deal ends after year 1 of Matthews and Marner's new contracts. So...what I said stands?
2. Nylander will be a center as of next year. Speculation.
3. Martin makes 2.5 million. "around 3 million"
4. Komarov is a UFA this summer. Fair enough
5. Brown makes 2.1, had 20 goals as a rookie and is on pace to get close to that again. That's fair, I thought his deal was 2.8. Also, his 3pts in the last 20 so games has skewed my view of his productivity this season.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Brown and Hyman are closer to 2 than 3, and are both effective players. Leo’s gone after this year, or will be back for 2ish annually. There is no cap problem in Toronto

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
6x6?
Nah. Love what he does in the low slot but don't love anything else about his game.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
Brown and Hyman are closer to 2 than 3, and are both effective players. Leo’s gone after this year, or will be back for 2ish annually. There is no cap problem in Toronto

We would have something in 2019 like:

Marner - 6
Nylander - 6
Marleau - 6
JvR - 6
Martin - 2.5
Hyman - 2.25
Brown - 2.1

That's around 30 million in 7 wingers, if Nylander stays winger and assuming his production doesn't spike up or down. 7 of 12 wingers, so let's say the other 5 make around a million each with a few ELCs and a couple vets sprinkled in. So 35 million in wingers, on maybe 84 million cap that year (speculation).

40% of the cap on wingers. Not horrible, and might be doable because Reilly and Kadri are on great deals. The idea of 4x6 million dollar wingers just isn't ideal for me.

New Leaf

Oct 16, 2008
That's a really good deal. Leafs should be all over that. Maybe try to get 5 years, but still... hometown discount for sure.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Seems fair. I'd think the point where you negotiate from Toronto's side is end of contract NTC/NMC and buy out structure. JVR has every right to go for the 6 year deal, but Toronto needs the flexibility that should he be washed out by the end they can move or buy him out. For a lot of the comparable UFA signings the last few seasons agents are getting them made 'buyout proof'.

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Damn if this is his asking price you can easily get 5 for 5 or better. I think he knows he’s in a good situation there and cares more about winning, culture and all than a few extra bills.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010

Marner - 6
Nylander - 6
Marleau - 6
JvR - 6
Martin - 2.5
Hyman - 2.25
Brown - 2.1

That's around 30 million in 7 wingers, if Nylander stays winger and assuming his production doesn't spike up or down. 7 of 12 wingers, so let's say the other 5 make around a million each with a few ELCs and a couple vets sprinkled in. So 35 million in wingers, on maybe 84 million cap that year (speculation).

40% of the cap on wingers. Not horrible, and might be doable because Reilly and Kadri are on great deals. The idea of 4x6 million dollar wingers just isn't ideal for me.
I predict Nylander will transition to C, Marleau will either be effective or gone, so 6.25 for one season is manageable. Martin probably gets moved that summer when young guys push past him & he’s been paid his bonus July 2019. Long term with a rising cap it’s feasible to look like this

Xxx. Matthews (11). Marner (6)
JVR (5-6). Nylander (6) Kapanen (2)
Xxx. Kadri (4.5). Brown (2.1)
Xxx. Goat (1.5) Hyman (2.25)
That’s 40-41m on your nine core forwards. Lots of young guys look like they can be ready to push for jobs by this season.
Rielly (5) Xxxx
Borgman/Gardiner (3-6) Zaitsev (4.5)
Dermott ELC Liljegren ELC
Roughly 14-16m on D with the need for a big time top 4.

Andersen (5)
Pickard (1.5)
That’s 60-63m on the high end with a projected cap of 80-84m so 17-24m to spend on a top 2/4 D, a couple wingers and players who don’t dress. Heck leave Nylander on Matthews’ RW and try to sign Backlund for around 5.5-6 to replace Bozak between Jvr & Mitch. Marleau easily fits for the one year, if you really think we’re stuck with him. Point is there’s no problem locking in Jvr long term and keeping the “core” team together. Marleau and even Martin could stay, and still sign a DD or EK (dreaming) quality D man in UFA for about 9-11m with only minor maneuvering needed.

SB84

Jul 22, 2015
Calgary, AB

Marner - 6
Nylander - 6
Marleau - 6
JvR - 6
Martin - 2.5
Hyman - 2.25
Brown - 2.1

In what world do you think you'll get Nylander and Marner on $6M deals. Think $7M.

I'm on the fence about JVR. He's a nice complimentary player but he's not fast, doesn't give you 100% effort shift in/shift out and he is not great in his own zone. 6x$6M is absolutely fair market value, i'm sure he can even get more on the open market, but those last few years might be a killer. Not sure what I would do with him tbh.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014

Marner - 6
Nylander - 6
Marleau - 6
JvR - 6
Martin - 2.5
Hyman - 2.25
Brown - 2.1

I dont get it, why should Nylander only get 6 mil? I have been told he is the best player in the 2014 draft, and 1 center/winger hybrid makes 8,5, best scoring winger makes over 6 mil, and Ehlers, who is not even the same ballpark as the MIGHTY NYLANDER makes 6 mil. Same with Marner, whole summer and start of the season, this player has been pumped as the second best player from the 2015 draft? Should he really make less than Eichel??.....

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
He won't get 6x6 unless that is what the leafs are offering. If that is what his agent is asking for then you can expect the leafs will give him less.

In no way am I saying he should get less. It's just the way negotiations usually go.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Why? They'd want top dollar and where else's to get that?

Another big market team? I think they'll either be re-signed or traded to a team they'll re-sign with (That could be the Leafs of course, but salary will go in the other direction so I don't see how signing JVR would effect that)

Last edited:

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Another big market team? I think if they'll either be re-signed or traded to a team they'll re-sign with (That could be the Leafs of course, but salary will go in the other direction so I don't see how signing JVR would effect that)
leafs definitely will not get one of the big 3

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I dont get it, why should Nylander only get 6 mil? I have been told he is the best player in the 2014 draft, and 1 center/winger hybrid makes 8,5, best scoring winger makes over 6 mil, and Ehlers, who is not even the same ballpark as the MIGHTY NYLANDER makes 6 mil. Same with Marner, whole summer and start of the season, this player has been pumped as the second best player from the 2015 draft? Should he really make less than Eichel??.....

Other teams signing stupid contracts isn’t the Leafs problem.

Reactions: bukwas

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad