Dreger: JVR looking for 6x6 to stay with Leafs

wc17

Feb 22, 2009
Toronto
Why not sign him to an 8 year deal at a bit lower amount (maybe 5.5?) and just use the compliance buyout after the next lockout to get out of it?

Jun 27, 2005
Yes they should. Not an easy thing to do but the thing to do. Can even resign him in July if they wish, especially if they deal him to a team most likely to use him only as a rental. Assets will beat the cup run loss of a good roster player.

When has a playoff bound team EVER traded their top goal scorer at the deadline?

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
2013/14 JVR scored 30, therefore he's a 30 goal scorer, you just got nae nah'd, please I only speak FACTS ;). Now, if you'd said he doesn't average 30/yr then you'd know dey way.

Trade him before or at the TDL, get the best you can and continue building this team's base of young quality players.
Lol Jvr is not a 30 goal scorer, he's only broke 30 once, get your facts straight leaf fans

that was my post, so yeah i have my facts straight actually, it's leafs fans who don't

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
did you read my last post ? obviously not, he's scored 30 goals once and leaf fans proclaim him as a consistent 30 goal scorer which he is not.
Lol Jvr is not a 30 goal scorer, he's only broke 30 once, get your facts straight leaf fans

that was my post, so yeah i have my facts straight actually, it's leafs fans who don't
Huh, i guess Ray Borque isn't a Stanley Cup winner then....only did it once. Glad you cleared these "facts" up for us.

Listen, we heard the same bullshit when people used to say "JVR isn't a 60 point player...he's only done it once!!"....well, then he did it twice....so the trolls have shifted the old goalposts to goals....have at it.

Reactions: Placid Perspicuity

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Is he worth that long of a deal and that money? Eh.

Is it fair based on the market? Definitely. He'll get that very easily IMO.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

JVR has scored 0.36 gpg since coming to toronto, that equals 29.5 goals per 82 each season.

Fact - He's hit 30 goals before
Fact - He's consistently near 30 goals or on pace for, every season.

What a stupid f***ing thing to argue over, good lord.

I mean to be consistent with your idiotic logic -- would you agree Jack Eichel isn't a 60 point player? I mean atleast JVR has hit 30 goals before, Eichel hasn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Placid Perspicuity

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
When has a playoff bound team EVER traded their top goal scorer at the deadline?
Probably not happened often. But could it be also that teams usually try to sign their top scorers? Could very well happen with Max P. soon.

All i am saying is IF the leafs decided on not offering him another contract.
Maybe they will or at least are confident they will find a deal both parties like. No need to move him then either now or at the tdl.

Could also be some form of hockey trade.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Probably not happened often. But could it be also that teams usually try to sign their top scorers? Could very well happen with Max P. soon.

All i am saying is IF the leafs decided on not offering him another contract.
Maybe they will or at least are confident they will find a deal both parties like. No need to move him then either now or at the tdl.

Could also be some form of hockey trade.
He said playoff bound. The Leafs are not going to trade their 2nd line winger (tied for team lead in goals, 5th in points) unless it's in a deal for an equally impactfull Dman.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think he gets over payment from another NHL team as a free agent. Don't know if he wants to stay with the Leafs, which I would think he does, but that's still a steal because I would imagine he could get 8 years at $7.5M per season from a bad team.
It's a given he wants to stay with the Leafs, read the headline.

I'm with everyone else, I hope we can drop him down a wee bit more but in the end I'd pay 6 and I would front load so he can be moved later on if needed. Save our big splash in FA for the following year when the 3 #1 D are all available.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Sign and trade for assets. That is what I would do. Has nothing to do with JVR as a player but rather give Leivo/Kapanen ice tine.

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2017
Would like to know how it is so. Since you took some of your precious time.
You said you’d rather have assets than have a quality player in James Van Reimsdyk for a playoff run. The only reason that makes sense is you don’t think they can win it all, even with him there.

Loser talk.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
You said you’d rather have assets than have a quality player in James Van Reimsdyk for a playoff run. The only reason that makes sense is you don’t think they can win it all, even with him there.

Loser talk.
Perfectly clear. TY.

If the right offer comes along yes, i deal him. I do not believe they win the Cup but believe the assets coming in could (offer still hypothetical) make the Leafs closer to the cup next year and beyond.

Neutral fan. No beef with the Leafs. Had JVR in Philly so i know the guy.

Reactions: Dog

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Meh, splitting hairs and making an extremely poorly formed argument. Clearly your bias is showing though.

Has he scored 30 in a season before? Yes
For the lockout shortened season, did he score at a 30 goal pace? Yes
Does his scoring pace round to 30 goals for his career in Toronto? Yes
Is he scoring at a 30+ goal pace right now, this season? Yes

Pretty much any reasonable person would be ok with him being called a 30 goal scorer. You're argument looks foolish.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Meh, splitting hairs and making an extremely poorly formed argument. Clearly your bias is showing though.

Has he scored 30 in a season before? Yes
For the lockout shortened season, did he score at a 30 goal pace? Yes
Does his scoring pace round to 30 goals for his career in Toronto? Yes
Is he scoring at a 30+ goal pace right now, this season? Yes

Pretty much any reasonable person would be ok with him being called a 30 goal scorer. You're argument looks foolish.
he's scored 30 goals ONCE and you're deeming him a consistent 30 goal scorer... and i look foolish

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
JVR has scored 0.36 gpg since coming to toronto, that equals 29.5 goals per 82 each season.

Fact - He's hit 30 goals before
Fact - He's consistently near 30 goals or on pace for, every season.

What a stupid ****ing thing to argue over, good lord.

I mean to be consistent with your idiotic logic -- would you agree Jack Eichel isn't a 60 point player? I mean atleast JVR has hit 30 goals before, Eichel hasn't.

bottom line. he's scored 30 once, once in 9 seasons. so he's not a consistent 30 goal scorer. what is so hard to understand

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Huh, i guess Ray Borque isn't a Stanley Cup winner then....only did it once. Glad you cleared these "facts" up for us.

Listen, we heard the same bull**** when people used to say "JVR isn't a 60 point player...he's only done it once!!"....well, then he did it twice....so the trolls have shifted the old goalposts to goals....have at it.
im not trolling, you're playing word games, to fit your argument. he's has not a consistent 30 goal scorer. he's done it once in 9 years,

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Perfectly clear. TY.

If the right offer comes along yes, i deal him. I do not believe they win the Cup but believe the assets coming in could (offer still hypothetical) make the Leafs closer to the cup next year and beyond.

Neutral fan. No beef with the Leafs. Had JVR in Philly so i know the guy.
Agree that might be one of first times agreed with Flyer fan. Good luck in trying to make the playoffs. Rather see Flyers in then Penguins or Rangers.

Reactions: MSSLYNX

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I don't get the trolling here but 6x6 is very fair value for a UFA on his level. Unfortunately whoever pays him that will probably regret it, but it's probably a better deal than say... Andrew Ladd's deal.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
he's scored 30 goals ONCE and you're deeming him a consistent 30 goal scorer... and i look foolish

Yep, you look foolish. You are splitting hairs for a guy that's averaged > 29.5 goals / 82 games for his time with the Leafs, has hit 30G before, has hit a 30G pace during the strike shortened season and is on pace for 30G right now. You're taking the term "30G scorer" so literally that you can't see the forest through the trees. Thus, your stance is foolish.

If the guy hit 30 goals once and was averaging 20 goals for the rest of his career, then your point would be good, but in this case, it's close enough that your point isn't a good one.

I'd take that 29.5G scorer on my team any day (I'm a Canes fan) and gladly say he's a 30G scorer and pay him that way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad