Dreger: JVR looking for 6x6 to stay with Leafs

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
If its 6m for 6 years with no other contract stipulations like NMC or MNMC they should get that shit done ASAP. If its with a NMC i honestly would probably pass unless its only for 2-3 years MAX.

member 147413

I would offer

6years x 5million

Or

5years x 5.5million

Anything more then that and he can walk.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I'd be shocked if any of Doughty, Karlsson or Ekman-Larrson make it Free Agency.
I agree but you never want to be handcuffed to a contract you can't move in the event of.
That being said, a signed JVR needs to be movable.

Flukeshot

Briere Activate!
Sponsor
Feb 19, 2004
Brampton, Ont
Who is JVR's agent? Could be an interesting approach, 6x6m means he wants to stay in Toronto but it could be non-negotiable. JVR does not play an overly physical game so I wouldn't be as worried about the term. 35 is still young enough they are low risk years.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
How many of those look like good deals ~2 years in? It's a risky age to give 6 year deals of top line money to a guy.

Leafs would be almost guaranteed to be overpaying JVR for ~3-4 years of the contract. Keep in mind the only thing he brings to the table is offence. He's quite bad defensively 5 on 5, doesn't play the PK, doesn't bring a punishing physical game, etc. So the likely decline of his offence in his early 30s is a big detriment to his value to a team.

It doesn't matter if they look like good deals or not. That's the cost. Does it make sense for the Leafs? Maybe not.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Would like the leafs to trade him now but they will not. Should of giving all those youth waiting a spot a chance. Look we know he can score goals that is fine but problem is development of others as well. He is free agent next year and looking for long term contract. If have to sign him and trade him fine. JVR and Bozak are the last of the old previous leaf teams. Time to move on entirely.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Would like the leafs to trade him now but they will not. Should of giving all those youth waiting a spot a chance. Look we know he can score goals that is fine but problem is development of others as well. He is free agent next year and looking for long term contract. If have to sign him and trade him fine. JVR and Bozak are the last of the old previous leaf teams. Time to move on entirely.
How many young guys do you want to keep throwing in there? Off the top of my head they had Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Hyman and brown from last year. This year they have been playing in limited roles Gauthier, Kapanen, Leivo, Dermott and Borgman. I’m sure I’m also forgetting a player or 2. Not to mention they have other young guys as well still learning in Reilly You need leaders on the team. Or you just end up like the oilers.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
He's looking for something similar to the deals Ladd/Lucic/Eriksson/Okposo/Backes signed a year ago. Its not an unreasonable ask especially considering the cap will be going up but I see the Leafs walking away from that. Just going off of my gut but I get the feeling when Babcock was complimenting the Lightning on moving past certain players, that he was referring to JVR as being one of those players.

UMMM WUT!!!!!!!!!!!

all 5 of those contracts look like total crap now

so noooo thanks

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
I would be ok with this, but would definitely be more comfortable with less term and/or money. 6 years seems like a good max length for a JVR deal in Toronto, as he would be expiring before potential UFA deals for Matthews/Marner/Nylander (I would be surprised if they signed deals less than 6).

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Cap hit seems fair. Contract length isn't ideal, but someone will probably give him that long if he hits UFA.
The real issue will be if he wants a NTC. The Leafs might have issues re-signing all of their young guys if JVR is taking up 6 million. If he doesn't have a NTC, then he'll be movable so there is no harm in signing him.

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
For everyone worried about the term: While age is a factor, his main contributing factors probably won't drop off drastically with age.
He makes his bread in front of the net and cycling which health permitting shouldn't change much between ages 28 and 34.

DatSnipeMatthews

Oct 5, 2017
Canada
How many young guys do you want to keep throwing in there? Off the top of my head they had Matthews, Marner, Nylander, Hyman and brown from last year. This year they have been playing in limited roles Gauthier, Kapanen, Leivo, Dermott and Borgman. I’m sure I’m also forgetting a player or 2. Not to mention they have other young guys as well still learning in Reilly You need leaders on the team. Or you just end up like the oilers.

Great point about needing veterans and leaders. They brought in Hainsey and Marleau for several reasons, and I suspect being veterans and leaders were among that list.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I agree but you never want to be handcuffed to a contract you can't move in the event of.
That being said, a signed JVR needs to be movable.

You can't always get what you want and sometimes you have to bend a little. If JVR and his 25+ goals is piece you need, you make it happen. Otherwise, you move on. Challenge the Leafs have is they would like to get the 3 young guns locked up first I would imagine.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
6. Will you have to protect him over another player in the event of Seattle? expansion?

This is actually a good point. Next expansion draft will be a lot different for the Leafs, in the Vegas one they were completely fine, but the next one they might lose a more high profile player if they don't prepare accordingly.

If i was doing the negotiations, i would start by saying you're not getting a NMC here, if that's fine with you then we're interested in keeping you.

That one protection slot can be crucial for a team that has good depth like the Leafs do.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
The disrespect Leaf fans give JVR is crazy. Comments like think you can just replace him and get what he gives elsewhere is crazy especially with the group of softies in their top 6. Your going to replace him with Kapenen? Come on. He combination of size, strength and grit this team sorely needs. The Leafs will regret letting him go.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
All the deals it's being compared to here are pretty horrendous mistakes. Not sure if JVR specifically is good or bad for that money, but the comparisons don't bode well.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
6x6 is more than reasonable for vanRiemsdyk

he should stay with the leafs... if not he'll most likely get more than that elsewhere

PhiladelphiaKessel

DontCrossthe****Line
Aug 9, 2010
Ryan Callahan 6 x 5.8
Brandon Dubinsky 6 x 5.85
Kyle Okposo 7 x 6
Milan Lucic 7 x 6
Loui Eriksson 6 x 6

Doesn't sound like too high of a number in comparison.

Exactly. And he's better than all those players you mentioned.

Get it done Lou

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad