Dreger: JVR looking for 6x6 to stay with Leafs

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
That’s very greedy.

For the production he gives, 6m is a good deal for Toronto. Even very good. The risk is in the term, and that’s where JVR is probably expecting to make the money back.

Cutting into both the salary and the term is a lose-lose for him. If you want to cut the term, you should up the per year salary.
Both Rielly and Kadri took very freindly deals, nothing wrong with trying to see if JVR will do the same, the worst that can happen is he says no.

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
Fair deal, even though it may be a couple of years too long. Keep in mind the cap will probably be pushing 90 million 5 or 6 years from now.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think the leafs could work that in.

Sign both Nylander (16g/58pt pace) and Marner (9g/56pt pace) to an Ehlers type deal (6milx7years coming off 25g/64pts)

let Komarov and Bozak walk and trade Martin for a conditional pick. thats 18.5mil freed if you include the dead space of gleason,fehr,marincin, and cowen plus the overages off the books as well.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
I think he gets over payment from another NHL team as a free agent. Don't know if he wants to stay with the Leafs, which I would think he does, but that's still a steal because I would imagine he could get 8 years at $7.5M per season from a bad team.

impossible. only the leafs could give him 8

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
Try for 5x5.5....that's probably to greedy, but worth a shot.

maybe even 5.75 to match what Oshie got in salary.

pretty sure jvr knowsthe leafs are on the verge of something special. If he wants to chase the money and go to a black hole like buffalo (okposo) or edmonton (lucic) so be it

Reactions: Liferleafer

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I'm all for it. It works very well with the salary cap long term.

The leafs still have a lot of solid contributers or potential contributers on ELCs and value contracts.
Dermott, Gauthier, Connor brown, Kapanen, Johnsson, Liljegren, will all be cheap contributers for at least a few years yet. Use that as an opportunity to keep JVR.

MSSLYNX

Jul 27, 2009
Toronto should trade him at the deadline, plenty of teams looking for scoring line LWs, including my Penguins.
Yes they should. Not an easy thing to do but the thing to do. Can even resign him in July if they wish, especially if they deal him to a team most likely to use him only as a rental. Assets will beat the cup run loss of a good roster player.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Ricky Bobby

Aug 31, 2008
I'm all for it. It works very well with the salary cap long term.

The leafs still have a lot of solid contributers or potential contributers on ELCs and value contracts.
Dermott, Gauthier, Connor brown, Kapanen, Johnsson, Liljegren, will all be cheap contributers for at least a few years yet. Use that as an opportunity to keep JVR.

Also front load the deal in real dollars as much as possible and only give him a limited NTC. This will allow the team to have JVR in the first few years then deal him if necessary a few years down the road when that money is needed elsewhere on the roster.

For next season Leafs are set to have lots of cap space but likely have an issue of nowhere to really be able to spend it wisely. So JVR shouldn't be an issue next season. It's great to dream about Tavares, etc. but come closer to July 1st and it's likely not even an option.

Season after there is a lot of doom and gloom comments about the cap. But don't be surprised if Leafs have a wink wink nudge nudge deal for Marleau to retire. I doubt he's going to play for 1.25M that season. Also expect Matt Martin who had his contract heavily front loaded to be moved out. Also expect guys like Dermott, Liljegren, Borgman to be really start making an impact.

A1LeafNation

Obsession beats talent everytime!!
Oct 17, 2010
He's looking for something similar to the deals Ladd/Lucic/Eriksson/Okposo/Backes signed a year ago. Its not an unreasonable ask especially considering the cap will be going up but I see the Leafs walking away from that. Just going off of my gut but I get the feeling when Babcock was complimenting the Lightning on moving past certain players, that he was referring to JVR as being one of those players.

All these guys were overpaid. I'd wait until June 30 to make a decision on JVR.

If we can sign Tavares, it's going to be a no on JVR.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Both Rielly and Kadri took very freindly deals, nothing wrong with trying to see if JVR will do the same, the worst that can happen is he says no.

This deal is already team friendly, and Kadri and Rielly were at different stages in their career when they signed theirs. This will probably be JVR's last big contract. A player like Rielly is going to make up that money later, and Kadri was still proving himself to a degree when he signed his, or at least proving he could keep it up. JVR has been showing, and for a longer period of time, what kind of player he is.

I'll be the first to say I wouldn't want to see my team sign him for his market value, so I'm definitely not going to pretend that Toronto should re-sign him, but his market value is already above $6M. He was already on a very team friendly contract for you, and we're talking about what is probably his last big pay day. Food for thought.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Lol Jvr is not a 30 goal scorer, he's only broke 30 once, get your facts straight leaf fans

Since his time as a Leaf, JVR has scored 137 goals in 376 games. For an 82 game pace, that's 29.9 goals / 82 games. In that time, he's scored 18 in 48 games (lockout season) which for 82 games is 30 goals, 30 in 80 games, 27 in 82 games, 14 in 40 games (due to injury), 29 in 82 games and has 19 in 44 games right now (which is a 35 game pace).

It's splitting hairs saying he's not a 30 goals scorer so not sure what the LOL is for.

Raym11

Oct 6, 2009
I think the leafs could work that in.

Sign both Nylander (16g/58pt pace) and Marner (9g/56pt pace) to an Ehlers type deal (6milx7years coming off 25g/64pts)

let Komarov and Bozak walk and trade Martin for a conditional pick. thats 18.5mil freed if you include the dead space of gleason,fehr,marincin, and cowen plus the overages off the books as well.

Neither player is worth an Ehlers deal this year, which is good for Leafs because they're better players than the goal totals suggest (Nylander most definitely). Maybe potential bridge deals of 5M while we wait out the Marleau contract

MacDonald4MVP

May 7, 2016
I think jvr would be wise to hold out for desperate teams in need of power play improvement to start bidding on offseason. Basically the same thing Stamkos did.

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
You're right, he only averages 29.5 goals/season as a Toronto Maple Leaf... You caught us big time :(
Since his time as a Leaf, JVR has scored 137 goals in 376 games. For an 82 game pace, that's 29.9 goals / 82 games. In that time, he's scored 18 in 48 games (lockout season) which for 82 games is 30 goals, 30 in 80 games, 27 in 82 games, 14 in 40 games (due to injury), 29 in 82 games and has 19 in 44 games right now (which is a 35 game pace).

It's splitting hairs saying he's not a 30 goals scorer so not sure what the LOL is for.
you got us man, rekt us dawg

You guys just got nae nae'd, please i only speak FACTS, i know dey way, JVR is NOT A 30 GOAL SCORER

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
You guys just got nae nae'd, please i only speak FACTS, i know dey way, JVR is NOT A 30 GOAL SCORER

2013/14 JVR scored 30, therefore he's a 30 goal scorer, you just got nae nah'd, please I only speak FACTS ;). Now, if you'd said he doesn't average 30/yr then you'd know dey way.

Trade him before or at the TDL, get the best you can and continue building this team's base of young quality players.

Feb 24, 2017
Yes they should. Not an easy thing to do but the thing to do. Can even resign him in July if they wish, especially if they deal him to a team most likely to use him only as a rental. Assets will beat the cup run loss of a good roster player.
Loser talk.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
This deal is already team friendly, and Kadri and Rielly were at different stages in their career when they signed theirs. This will probably be JVR's last big contract. A player like Rielly is going to make up that money later, and Kadri was still proving himself to a degree when he signed his, or at least proving he could keep it up. JVR has been showing, and for a longer period of time, what kind of player he is.

I'll be the first to say I wouldn't want to see my team sign him for his market value, so I'm definitely not going to pretend that Toronto should re-sign him, but his market value is already above $6M. He was already on a very team friendly contract for you, and we're talking about what is probably his last big pay day. Food for thought.
Oh, i certainly didn't say offer him that...take it or leave it. But when JVR "starts" at 6x6, then it's in MLSE's best interest to make an offer a tad lower than that, that's just negotiating 101.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad