Confirmed with Link: Justin Schultz (50% retained) to Penguins for 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen Arcade

Bigger than Kiss
Sep 21, 2004
Pittsburgh
I was just thinking earlier about how sending Zatkoff down could help WBS out for the rest of the regular season, because Brian Foster is horrendous and Jarry can't play every game.

But with Schneider out for at least a few weeks and Kinkaid being pretty mediocre on a good day, I can't see the Devils not claiming him. Their other options are Yann Danis and Scott Wedgewood. Zatkoff may be bad, but he's not Yann Danis. And that's not even touching on the Hynes connection.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
I was just thinking earlier about how sending Zatkoff down could help WBS out for the rest of the regular season, because Brian Foster is horrendous and Jarry can't play every game.

But with Schneider out for at least a few weeks and Kinkaid being pretty mediocre on a good day, I can't see the Devils not claiming him. Their other options are Yann Danis and Scott Wedgewood. Zatkoff may be bad, but he's not Yann Danis. And that's not even touching on the Hynes connection.

Good?

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Thing is that as bad as we think Zatkoff is. We might as well hold on to him until after the season and then let him walk. Who knows if MAF or Murray gets injured.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
While I don't think Pouliot is going to be sent down at this point I don't think Zatkoff plays into this minor league roulette at all for the sheer fact that he'd a.) have to clear waivers to go down and b.) isn't eligible for the AHL playoffs...throw in that'd there'd be no financial incentive to do so (one-way deal) and we're basically paying Zatkoff to not play for anyone else at this point in time. He had no trade value and would likely be claimed off waivers by a team wanting to help their tank, so I honestly don't blame the Pens for going for 3 goalies right now. I have faith in Murray to a degree right now, but if we have an injury in net I really wouldn't be comfortable with Jarry being the back-up to Fleury right now and if it were Fleury getting hurt...well...a combined goalie age of 41 would spell instant doom to any team.

I was thinking after the regular season, MAF is starting every game and Zatkoff is the back up. Murray gets called back if there is an injury or if MAF ***** the bed.

Captain Hook

Jul 12, 2007
I thought it was a solid debut from Schultz yesterday. He certainly looks dangerous when he activates. That seems to be his strength. He kind of looks like a bigger version of Derrick Pouliot. By that I mean he doesn't seem to play with much urgency for better or worse but he is very skilled.

From what I saw he's not a guy I'd want out there against the other teams best players all the time, but he looks like he can contribute offensively in a limited, sheltered role short-term, and who knows, maybe his D game will still come together over the long-term.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
5 rows in back of the penalty box yesterday and thought JS looked very good. I think this era of Pens coaches seems to know how to get the best from mobile defensemen and that having them play within themselves without the puck and then when to attack and press.

Pouliot is a good comparison. High end skill and sense but still kind of feeling the ropes defensively. IMO coaching can take over for that as long as the will to compete is there... IMO it seems like it is.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Justin's situation is eerily similar to Niskanen's when we get him in the Neal-Gogo deal. He was young, similar build, offensive-minded and completely broken with zero confidence. He was right-handed, had the same faults, same ceiling, had promise but needed to be rebuilt slowly from the ground up. And it worked. This can potentially have the same fate. Fingers crossed but Justin would be stupid to leave should we not qualify him due to his outrageous 3.9m QO. Its the perfect situation for him with the right system. Plus we showed confidence in giving up an asset for him and are willing to take the time to rebuild his game. Its a win-win. Hope we can sign him to a cap-friendly deal.

SprootsMasterFlex

Sprootsing 4 Life
Apr 20, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
I thought it was a solid debut from Schultz yesterday. He certainly looks dangerous when he activates. That seems to be his strength. He kind of looks like a bigger version of Derrick Pouliot. By that I mean he doesn't seem to play with much urgency for better or worse but he is very skilled.

From what I saw he's not a guy I'd want out there against the other teams best players all the time, but he looks like he can contribute offensively in a limited, sheltered role short-term, and who knows, maybe his D game will still come together over the long-term.

Niskanen 2.0? :naughty:

BobCole

May 21, 2014
Huh, I guess I'm the only one who wasn't blown away by him the other night. I was at the game and thought he looked intimidated under pressure and got bodied quite a bit. I don't think he looked horrible, but I didn't think he looked great, either. Just my $0.02.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Huh, I guess I'm the only one who wasn't blown away by him the other night. I was at the game and thought he looked intimidated under pressure and got bodied quite a bit. I don't think he looked horrible, but I didn't think he looked great, either. Just my $0.02.

I don't think anyone was blown away in a vacuum, but relative to what he was doing in Edmonton and what people were saying he had a good game against a weak team. The bar was set really low for him and he hopped over it. His defensive game still needs to be rebuilt and he's not a physical force, but his offensive game had enough of a showing and he was putting effort in. More than anything like most offensive D I think he really needs to learn when to go for it and when not to because he's supposed to be playing defense. Life will become easier for him if he gets that right most of the time.

Aug 4, 2008
Rochester, NY
I can definitely see the Niskanen comparison for the most part, but I think Niskanen was a little more sound in the D end when he was acquired. I also think Schultz is a bigger threat with the puck at the time of the trade, and maybe even already. There is definitly the same potential for a nice turn around though.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
He looks like Niskanen did when he was traded here. Serviceable. Let him build on that. Sucks that DP is sitting, but this team needs a longterm offensive RHD.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Same could be said about Pouliot tho. Who should see 1st pp time over Letang.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
You're barking up the wrong tree.

Im out of trees i think :-(

I must be the only one who seems that Letang is not a natural PP QB .and only put there because he makes so much money he has to be the go to guy in all instanses. It will look bad paying a guy 7m+ who doesnt crack the 1st pp

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012

I must be the only one who seems that Letang is not a natural PP QB .and only put there because he makes so much money he has to be the go to guy in all instanses. It will look bad paying a guy 7m+ who doesnt crack the 1st pp

Since the coaching change he's been much better on the PP.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh

He looks sloppy a lot of the time on the powerplay. He is infuriating a lot of the time on the powerplay a lot. But he is very effective a lot of the time on the powerplay. He's 9th in the league for D in PPP despite missing 10 games and our team being 17th in PP%.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
If anything, Pouliot should take Malkin's spot on the PP while he's out instead of shuffling everyone else around.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
He looks like Niskanen did when he was traded here. Serviceable. Let him build on that. Sucks that DP is sitting, but this team needs a longterm offensive RHD.

Exactly. I never saw the Cole/Niskanen overlap, but it's there with Schultz. I will say that Schultz looks more composed than Niskanen did in the offensive zone, but only in the offensive zone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad