Confirmed with Link: Justin Schultz (50% retained) to Penguins for 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuck Norris Trophy

Jan 22, 2015
You remember those school and youth hockey games, where everyone stood still and the two of the best of the class got to choose, where the snipers and playmakers got picked first, where someone was last? Schultz was one of them. Too clumsy for forward, too attack focused on defense. And he got picked up last and the D got stuck.

Asuna

Lvl 94 Sub-Leader
Apr 27, 2014
Pittsburgh
jesus. why the **** is kunitz on the top pp. with hornqvist nonetheless. they play the same ****ing position.

Offhisgame*

Mar 17, 2016
Anyone else thinks schultz looks really weak on d? I know hrs been great offensively as you would hope. But i can see why hed get eaten alive in the western conference. I dont want him touching the ice in the playoffs against a philly or boston. They would abuse him

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Anyone else thinks schultz looks really weak on d? I know hrs been great offensively as you would hope. But i can see why hed get eaten alive in the western conference. I dont want him touching the ice in the playoffs against a philly or boston. They would abuse him

Shocking news, Schultz is bad defensively. More shocking news, Phil Kessel is soft.

Schultz is what he is, he's an offensively gifted defenseman who has struggles in his own end. Everyone knew that when they acquired him. Schultz is a net positive when he's on the ice, even with his defensive struggles. We're also not going to play Philly in the playoffs and we probably won't play Boston either.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I don't know, I've noticed Cole being worse. I don't think Schultz has been bad or even shaky defensively. He's looked fairly decent. The only issue I see is that he holds the puck too long on the powerplay, he needs to dish it off quicker. And yeah, why would you put Kunitz AND Hornqvist on the powerplay? Kunitz is just flat out useless, but Horny is good in front of the net, if you want to use 2 defensemen, put out a trio of Sid, Kessel and Horny.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Schultz isn't afraid to go deep in the Ozone, but he is always at risk to get trapped and doesn't have the wheels of Tanger or Daley to get back in position.

HarrySPlinkett

Not a film critic
Feb 4, 2010
Calgary
Shocking news, Schultz is bad defensively. More shocking news, Phil Kessel is soft.

Schultz is what he is, he's an offensively gifted defenseman who has struggles in his own end. Everyone knew that when they acquired him. Schultz is a net positive when he's on the ice, even with his defensive struggles. We're also not going to play Philly in the playoffs and we probably won't play Boston either.

As a fan of his former rivals, I can assure you he is not.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As a fan of his former rivals, I can assure you he is not.

We've been rebuilding a few players here that have struggled elsewhere. Schultz has been a net positive in his role for our team thus far. We'll see if he can pull off a Daley-esque resurgence long-term.

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015
As a fan of his former rivals, I can assure you he is not

As bad as we suck at developing, we're just as good at reviving careers of D-men that failed with previous teams. So hoping Schultz can hopefully revive it a bit too. 3rd rounder is a not a huge payment for someone of his skill set and he's looked very solid for us so far.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
As bad as we suck at developing, we're just as good at reviving careers of D-men that failed with previous teams. So hoping Schultz can hopefully revive it a bit too. 3rd rounder is a not a huge payment for someone of his skill set and he's looked very solid for us so far.

What? The Pens aren't bad at developing D. Not even in the least. They're fantastic in both rejuvenating careers and developing players on D. When was the last Pens D prospect that legitimately busted, Samuelsson?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Even Samuelsson is still a borderline # 7 on the Yotes.

Eh I think of him as more than an AHL depth guy, which is a bust for a 2nd round pick.

The Pens have developed Strait, Bortuzzo, Letang, Maatta, Dumoulin, Pouliot, Harrington and Despres just off the top of my head. I also take back Samuelsson as the last Pens D prospect to bust and replace him with Morrow. So there's 2 Pens D prospects that were busts while on the Penguins in the last 7 years, that's about it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Eh I think of him as more than an AHL depth guy, which is a bust for a 2nd round pick.

The Pens have developed Strait, Bortuzzo, Letang, Maatta, Dumoulin, Pouliot, Harrington and Despres just off the top of my head. I also take back Samuelsson as the last Pens D prospect to bust and replace him with Morrow. So there's 2 Pens D prospects that were busts while on the Penguins in the last 7 years, that's about it.

Harrington hasn't proven anything at the NHL level yet so I wouldn't be pumping the Pens tires for developing him.

Does Ruopp count as a Pens D prospect? He's well on his way to busting, not that I'm mad or surprised about it.

Obviously longer than 7 years ago but let's never forget the great Carl Sneep.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Harrington hasn't proven anything at the NHL level yet so I wouldn't be pumping the Pens tires for developing him.

Does Ruopp count as a Pens D prospect? He's well on his way to busting, not that I'm mad or surprised about it.

Obviously longer than 7 years ago but let's never forget the great Carl Sneep.

I think you could count Ruopp, the Pens did trade for him only a year after he was drafted. Although at the same time, I'm not sure that's a development issue as much as it's a Ruopp isn't good issue, although the same could be applied to Samuelsson. I think Morrow is the only true bust of Pens recent D prospects, the rest were just not good.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I think you could count Ruopp, the Pens did trade for him only a year after he was drafted. Although at the same time, I'm not sure that's a development issue as much as it's a Ruopp isn't good issue, although the same could be applied to Samuelsson. I think Morrow is the only true bust of Pens recent D prospects, the rest were just not good.

Dumo was acquired the same time as Ruopp so whatever you attribute to the Pens for Dumo should probably also be attributed to Ruopp. I agree there's a big difference in quality there though.

Call me betty*

Sheary Baggins
Nov 8, 2015
my bad guys, i forgot to put in forwards. I was gonna say "as bad as we are at developing forwards". Sorry for the confusion.:laugh:

#1GuinFan

Apr 4, 2003
canada
Visit site
I don't think that Morrow was a Pens bust when discussing development, he developed elsewhere for the most part. he was a trade chip before any significant development with us

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
We've been rebuilding a few players here that have struggled elsewhere. Schultz has been a net positive in his role for our team thus far. We'll see if he can pull off a Daley-esque resurgence long-term.

Daley has looked like a bonafide top 4 defenseman. Just don't imagine Daley on a defense that could have been here. That'll make you sad.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I don't think that Morrow was a Pens bust when discussing development, he developed elsewhere for the most part. he was a trade chip before any significant development with us

I've always been a huge Morrow fan. I hope he develops because he'll be fun to watch, even if it isn't with us.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Morrow was crap for the Penguins before he got traded though and really hasn't become anything in the NHL. He's only playing because of how bad Boston's D is. He's a 7th D for Boston right now while having 8 career points. He's a bust at this point.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Morrow's offensive game just hasn't developed, which is really what made him a worthwhile top prospect in the first place. Without that, I think all anyone can hope for is him becoming a vanilla, middle of the road, two-way guy like Bret Hedican or Greg DeVries or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad