Confirmed with Link: Justin Schultz (50% retained) to Penguins for 3rd round pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
It's amazing what being on a team that isn't throwing you to the wolves and offers you support, can do to your confidence.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Now lets see if he can keep it up, particularly against a good team. The Devils were really bad tonight. But it was definitely a good first showing.

Let's see if he gets in the game against the Islanders, that should be a tough test. They have big and fast forwards that like to play an aggressive game. If he handles that well, that should be a huge boost to his confidence. It was nice to see a huge smile on his face on the assist today.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Let's see if he gets in the game against the Islanders, that should be a tough test. They have big and fast forwards that like to play an aggressive game. If he handles that well, that should be a huge boost to his confidence. It was nice to see a huge smile on his face on the assist today.

Indeed. Now I just hope we don't see what Schultz can do completely at the expense of Pouliot.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Really starting to look like Pouliot is going to play in the playoffs for WBS. He is the only one who can move down and he needs to play. He would certainly be getting the stud minutes in WBS, as much as I would like him to play the year in the NHL.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Really starting to look like Pouliot is going to play in the playoffs for WBS. He is the only one who can move down and he needs to play. He would certainly be getting the stud minutes in WBS, as much as I would like him to play the year in the NHL.

I thought he had to be sent down by the deadline to be eligible for the AHL playoffs.

Waffle Fries

Mar 7, 2013
Murray was definitely sent down on a paper transaction. I can't remember if Pouliot was.

Edit: looks like Pouliot was

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Pouliot isn't going to be sent down. He's going to be kept up down the stretch in case we need him and then once the playoffs start if we make it he'll be kept on the roster for that as well just in case.

Only way he goes down and plays is if we go out in the first round.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
With Schultz and Zatkoff still around as an in game back up, it looks like Murray and Pouliot will be playing for WBS.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
As good as Pouliot's been, I don't see much downside in demoting him if Schultz can come in and play well in that bottom pair PMD role.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Pouliot isn't going to be sent down. He's going to be kept up down the stretch in case we need him and then once the playoffs start if we make it he'll be kept on the roster for that as well just in case.

Only way he goes down and plays is if we go out in the first round.

I think with Schultz and Lovejoy coming back, Pouliot will need to play. Assuming that him sitting today is an indication of what to expect, unless injury or Schultz turns into crap.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
As good as Pouliot's been, I don't see much downside in demoting him if Schultz can come in and play well in that bottom pair PMD role.

I just hate seeing him putting it together then immediately being demoted. But its better than benching him at least. But I'd really like to see him get some playoff experience.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think with Schultz and Lovejoy coming back, Pouliot will need to play. Assuming that him sitting today is an indication of what to expect, unless injury or Schultz turns into crap.

I think he will play. I'd expect Pouliot to get back into the lineup the moment Cole or Schultz has a bad game.

Sullivan said he expects to use all 7 d down the stretch and I think we'll see that.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Is Lovejoy even coming back at all? I mean, it's been two weeks of silence with what was characterized by the team as a "Long term injury." And they picked up Schultz almost immediately after.

I feel like the team is going forward as though Lovejoy isn't going to be available, not any time soon at least.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Is Lovejoy even coming back at all? I mean, it's been two weeks of silence with what was characterized by the team as a "Long term injury." And they picked up Schultz almost immediately after.

I feel like the team is going forward as though Lovejoy isn't going to be available, not any time soon at least.

not that this means much, but in the game today Errey said that Fehr, Bennett and Lovejoy would be back soon.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That should muddle up the defense situation even further.

Pouliot should be sent down if that happens, since they are unlikely to have some weird rotation of 3 guys for 1 spot.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve

Steigy and Errey were talking like he'd come back, so I assume they were at the funeral.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
Demoting Pouliot undeservedly, just because there's competition, is Despres 2.0 stuff. I don't think people realize what that could do to his confidence, which I think is a really big factor in his play.

We (should) have way more invested in Pouliot's development than the futures of Lovejoy, Cole and Schultz. There is no need to compromise his development for the sake of a guy that's going to walk in a few months, a guy we'll probably trade in a few months, and a guy who's had one game in a Penguins uniform.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Schultz was better than I expected offensively and made two great plays, but was as expected, unfortunately, in his own zone.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
With Schultz and Zatkoff still around as an in game back up, it looks like Murray and Pouliot will be playing for WBS.

While I don't think Pouliot is going to be sent down at this point I don't think Zatkoff plays into this minor league roulette at all for the sheer fact that he'd a.) have to clear waivers to go down and b.) isn't eligible for the AHL playoffs...throw in that'd there'd be no financial incentive to do so (one-way deal) and we're basically paying Zatkoff to not play for anyone else at this point in time. He had no trade value and would likely be claimed off waivers by a team wanting to help their tank, so I honestly don't blame the Pens for going for 3 goalies right now. I have faith in Murray to a degree right now, but if we have an injury in net I really wouldn't be comfortable with Jarry being the back-up to Fleury right now and if it were Fleury getting hurt...well...a combined goalie age of 41 would spell instant doom to any team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad