TSN: Justin Schultz - 3.675 / 1 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Is this the same perception of reality that had him stating he believed Eakins would be a top notch coach here for years?

You must learn to read between the lines on things.

"We're married to Eakins because our coaching situation has had yearly turnover for too long" helps nobody and solves nothing.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
IMO they did pretty well together late last season. If Klefbom proves to be ready then I'd have no qualms playing them together. Ference on the other hand would be a better fit with Petry or Fayne IMO.

I think everyone sees Klefbom and Schultz as potentially a great pairing because of their skill sets.

Unfortunately I have to slightly disagree that they did pretty well together. They had full games where they looked alright and others not so much. I am reasonably certain that their overall play was deemed lacking for the stint those two were together. If those two even played "pretty well" last year I don't think we would have signed Nikita at all or acquired enough D-men to bury Klefbom in the minors for another year or two.

Klefbom played well against bottom pairing opposition but fell well short of expectations against tough opposition. With how he played in the AHL that was unfortunately to be expected.

After watching Marincin be fairly successful as Petry's defensive stalwart in that pairing I would like to see Marincin and Schultz tried together for a stint. Marincin did a very good job covering the ice as Petry likes to roam and pinch as well. Although Marincin isn't quite as good as Klefbom in the corners or in front of our net because of his size, I still see this as the more viable option until both Shultz and Klefbom take the next step.

I would like to see this tried.

Nikita Fayne "top pairing"
Marincin Schultz "second pairing"
Ference Petry "bottom pairing that plays more than most bottom pairing typically would"

EDIT: I have to thrown in on the Gilbert talk.

As a puck mover/offensive defenseman: Schultz >>>> Gilbert > Petry. Aka Schutz is waaay better than either but Gilbert is only slightly better than Petry.

As a defenseman: Petry > Schultz >>>> Gilbert. Aka even Petry and Shulta who are weak in their own end are considerably better than Gilbert. This is a slight exaggeration but I am constantly amazed how so many people on these boards completely ignore Gilberts terrible giveaways, and the fact he panics under the slightest pressure in his own zone, and loses damn near every puck battle in the corners/along the wall. Gilbert almost got washed from the league for good reason and now has Campbell to thank for a redemption contract. I typically hate the Montreal Canadians, but recently love their composition and team. Moving Josh Gorges and bringing in Tom Gilbert is going to be a train wreck for them. They are going to be leaking goals like a sieve this year. Price is going to be burnt out, pissed off, and/or injured in short order and you are going to see a defensive collapse if they rely to heavily upon Gilbert.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think everyone sees Klefbom and Schultz as potentially a great pairing because of their skill sets.

Unfortunately I have to slightly disagree that they did pretty well together. They had full games where they looked alright and others not so much. I am reasonably certain that their overall play was deemed lacking for the stint those two were together. If those two even played "pretty well" last year I don't think we would have signed Nikita at all or acquired enough D-men to bury Klefbom in the minors for another year or two.

Klefbom played well against bottom pairing opposition but fell well short of expectations against tough opposition. With how he played in the AHL that was unfortunately to be expected.

After watching Marincin be fairly successful as Petry's defensive stalwart in that pairing I would like to see Marincin and Schultz tried together for a stint. Marincin did a very good job covering the ice as Petry likes to roam and pinch as well. Although Marincin isn't quite as good as Klefbom in the corners or in front of our net because of his size, I still see this as the more viable option until both Shultz and Klefbom take the next step.

I would like to see this tried.

Nikita Fayne "top pairing"
Marincin Schultz "second pairing"
Ference Petry "bottom pairing that plays more than most bottom pairing typically would"

EDIT: I have to thrown in on the Gilbert talk.

As a puck mover/offensive defenseman: Schultz >>>> Gilbert > Petry. Aka Schutz is waaay better than either but Gilbert is only slightly better than Petry.

As a defenseman: Petry > Schultz >>>> Gilbert. Aka even Petry and Shulta who are weak in their own end are considerably better than Gilbert. This is a slight exaggeration but I am constantly amazed how so many people on these boards completely ignore Gilberts terrible giveaways, and the fact he panics under the slightest pressure in his own zone, and loses damn near every puck battle in the corners/along the wall. Gilbert almost got washed from the league for good reason and now has Campbell to thank for a redemption contract. I typically hate the Montreal Canadians, but recently love their composition and team. Moving Josh Gorges and bringing in Tom Gilbert is going to be a train wreck for them. They are going to be leaking goals like a sieve this year. Price is going to be burnt out, pissed off, and/or injured in short order and you are going to see a defensive collapse if they rely to heavily upon Gilbert.

Marincin by nature likes to play more of an offensive role than what we saw of him at the NHL level last season. I really don't see him as being the stay at home type when he translates his game fully to the NHL level. I think that Marincin would still be an upgrade on Ference as Schultz's partner but IMO Klefbom is the best partner that we have for Schultz in every way except for experience.

darkwave09

Nov 5, 2008
Am I alone in thinking that Schultz and Klefbom looked great together last year? I have never been a big Schultz supporter but in IMO he actually looked composed with Klefa. He was the only partner I thought who complimented Schultz skill set perfectly. I was very impressed with that pairing, but I understand that Klefa probably needs another year in the AHL.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Am I alone in thinking that Schultz and Klefbom looked great together last year? I have never been a big Schultz supporter but in IMO he actually looked composed with Klefa. He was the only partner I thought who complimented Schultz skill set perfectly. I was very impressed with that pairing, but I understand that Klefa probably needs another year in the AHL.

Always take into account the sample size.

OnTheBrink

Apr 19, 2013
Airdrie

I thought Schultz looked his best with Klefbom as his partner, granted was a very short sample size. I'm surprised more people are not higher on Klefbom, IMO he was the best Oiler's defender in the corners, and in front of their net in his short stint with the big team. His first pass out of the zone was already one of the best, if not the best as well, these are areas that the team is extremely lacking in, people also need to remember it was his first year on a new continent, playing the smaller ice size, and he missed a whole year of development with injury. Maybe I'm too high on him but I see him turning into the Oilers, Hjalmarsson maybe even a Seabrook.

Last edited:

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

Not at all, and IMO Klefa needing another year in the AHL is TBD. He looked like an NHL defenseman to me last season after a shaky first couple of games.

Always take into account the sample size.

Well when that's all that you have to go by then it means more than no sample size at all. And until he proves that he is not an NHL defenseman or that they are not a good pairing I say that they could continue to be a good pairing. Whether it be with 2nd or 3rd pairing assignments is TBD, but Klefbom was by far the best compliment that Schultz has had at the pro level with the possible exception of Marincin in the lockout season in OKC.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Well when that's all that you have to go by then it means more than no sample size at all. And until he proves that he is not an NHL defenseman or that they are not a good pairing I say that they could continue to be a good pairing. Whether it be with 2nd or 3rd pairing assignments is TBD, but Klefbom was by far the best compliment that Schultz has had at the pro level with the possible exception of Marincin in the lockout season in OKC.

When all you have to go by is a small sample size, you shouldn't give much towards it. Saying they're a good pairing based on the very limited time they've spent together creates an irresponsible conclusion, such as you've founded here.

Sure, try it out in the future. I guess you have to with the poor defensive play we've seen with Schultz and his other partners, but you're really counting your chickens here.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
When all you have to go by is a small sample size, you shouldn't give much towards it. Saying they're a good pairing based on the very limited time they've spent together creates an irresponsible conclusion, such as you've founded here.

Sure, try it out in the future. I guess you have to with the poor defensive play we've seen with Schultz and his other partners, but you're really counting your chickens here.

Until they prove otherwise they were a good fit together. Big surprise that Schultz would do well with a good skating and strong partner that clears the crease and can move the puck worth a damn. Clearly there's no such thing as chemistry or players complimenting each others strengths and weaknesses and such. Personally I'd start them together in TC and see how they do through the preseason. If they play well then I keep that pairing together until they prove otherwise.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Until they prove otherwise they were a good fit together. Big surprise that Schultz would do well with a good skating and strong partner that clears the crease and can move the puck worth a damn. Clearly there's no such thing as chemistry or players complimenting each others strengths and weaknesses and such. Personally I'd start them together in TC and see how they do through the preseason. If they play well then I keep that pairing together until they prove otherwise.

You're missing the point here. All I'm saying is to not get your hopes up. Especially with Schultz. To get excited about how he's playing with Klefbom, albeit and especially as it's only been for a short amount of time doesn't hold a lot ground with a lone wolf D-man like Schultz. Hopefully there's a turn-around and he makes some strides towards playing a complete game, or at least one that doesn't leave his partner out to dry half the time.

This is all likely moot anyways because I can't find a spot for Klefbom in the line-up. I doubt he outplays Marincin, so until we trade Petry, he's likely in the minors.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
You're missing the point here. All I'm saying is to not get your hopes up. Especially with Schultz. To get excited about how he's playing with Klefbom, albeit and especially as it's only been for a short amount of time doesn't hold a lot ground with a lone wolf D-man like Schultz. Hopefully there's a turn-around and he makes some strides towards playing a complete game, or at least one that doesn't leave his partner out to dry half the time.

This is all likely moot anyways because I can't find a spot for Klefbom in the line-up. I doubt he outplays Marincin, so until we trade Petry, he's likely in the minors.

Schultz got better as the season went along, this seems to be lost on some people. He will be a better player this season regardless of his partner. That said Klefbom for the reasons that I've mentioned above is an ideal partner for Justin. I would not be so certain that Marincin beats out Klefbom for the final D spot, however I also think that Petry could be the odd man out due to his contract and that I doubt that recent MacT signings Fayne, Nikitin or Ference aren't basically written in stone. I think that both will make a valiant case at camp but I think that people writing off Klefbom making the team are doing so prematurely.

darkwave09

Nov 5, 2008
Thanks for the feed back evreyone:) I agree with BBO that they should be paired up together in TC and take it from there. IF they are still great together keep the pairing, if not decide what to do with klefa then. As for Schultz improving as the season went on, I didn't really see it until he was paired with klefa, but I could be totally out to lunch on that point. Before he commands top dollar he has got learn how to play mean. This kid does have all the tools but I question his desire to muck it up in the corners,along the boards and in front of the net. Who on this team can teach him those valuable skills? Honestly I'm drawing a blank......

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Thanks for the feed back evreyone:) I agree with BBO that they should be paired up together in TC and take it from there. IF they are still great together keep the pairing, if not decide what to do with klefa then. As for Schultz improving as the season went on, I didn't really see it until he was paired with klefa, but I could be totally out to lunch on that point. Before he commands top dollar he has got learn how to play mean. This kid does have all the tools but I question his desire to muck it up in the corners,along the boards and in front of the net. Who on this team can teach him those valuable skills? Honestly I'm drawing a blank......

IMO expecting him to play mean is setting yourself up for disappointment. His battle level did go up as the year went along, however much like a guy like Eberle you won't see him playing mean very often. The key with Schultz is him playing angles better and utilizing his skating and his reach. That is why it's important for him to be paired with a guy that can clear the crease and separate bigger players from the puck as well as getting him the puck to help set him up in offensive situations. That player as of now is Klefbom. Nurse may become that guy, however he likes to be a river boat gambler as well so it maybe best to keep them on separate pairings.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
I'll be a dissenter and say that I think Klefbom definitely needs another entire season in the AHL... at a minimum. I saw nothing from him last season that says he's an NHL dman at this point and more development in OKC will definitely help him. He's one prospect that they definitely should not be rushing into the lineup because he's dealt with a lot of injury issues and looks to me like he definitely needs more time adjusting to the NA style of play.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
You must learn to read between the lines on things.

"We're married to Eakins because our coaching situation has had yearly turnover for too long" helps nobody and solves nothing.
I can read between the lines just fine, thank you. This is what I see.

Mactavish contributed to this situation himself when he fired Krueger. Had he fired him at the end of the year and then conducted a proper search for a coach he probably wouldn't be "married" to Eakins. When he says the coach wasn't responsible for the teams performance, goes looking for an assistant for him and then hires his replacement instead, it indeed ties his hands. Hiring the first guy you talk to when you realize you're changing your coach was a recipe for disaster. It makes it worse when the replacement was as bad as he was. IMO, it makes you question his judgement on many matters.

Hearing Mactavish talk up Schultz, just like he talked up Eakins doesn't inspire much confidence in me in his perceptions of reality. If anything I think Mactavish is so confident in his own abilities that it's difficult or maybe even impossible for him to ever conceive that he could be wrong about anything. His record shows he's wrong quite a bit. Not sure if that's a good perception of reality.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
I'll be a dissenter and say that I think Klefbom definitely needs another entire season in the AHL... at a minimum. I saw nothing from him last season that says he's an NHL dman at this point and more development in OKC will definitely help him. He's one prospect that they definitely should not be rushing into the lineup because he's dealt with a lot of injury issues and looks to me like he definitely needs more time adjusting to the NA style of play.

I agree. He looked very sloppy to me, despite having pillow easy comp. But i also watch almost every bruins game and i can see viewers who only watch the oilers thinking the kid should make the team...because the Oilers have suckked for a hockey lifetime. There are Oilers fans that have yet to see a real NHL defense in their life time. If a persons world is only based on oilers hockey he looks like a keeper. He can point out which is our defensive zone....thats a start.

darkwave09

Nov 5, 2008
IMO expecting him to play mean is setting yourself up for disappointment. His battle level did go up as the year went along, however much like a guy like Eberle you won't see him playing mean very often. The key with Schultz is him playing angles better and utilizing his skating and his reach. That is why it's important for him to be paired with a guy that can clear the crease and separate bigger players from the puck as well as getting him the puck to help set him up in offensive situations. That player as of now is Klefbom. Nurse may become that guy, however he likes to be a river boat gambler as well so it maybe best to keep them on separate pairings.

IF he can't play mean then that means he can't ask for big money or 'win ' the norris IMO. Meaning he's a one way offensive defenceman who can't play in all situations like the top D-men do. I hope this kid proves me wrong and becomes a total beast out there.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006

IF he can't play mean then that means he can't ask for big money or 'win ' the norris IMO. Meaning he's a one way offensive defenceman who can't play in all situations like the top D-men do. I hope this kid proves me wrong and becomes a total beast out there.

completely disagree, lidstrom was the best defenceman of his generation and there was nothing mean about his game. now don't get me wrong, shultz couldnt hold lidstroms jock right now, but the point is NHL d-men don't have to be webers or prongers to be considered elite. the leetchs, lidstroms and niedermeyers of the world made a pretty damn good living not playing a "mean" game.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009

Agreed completely

darkwave09

Nov 5, 2008
completely disagree, lidstrom was the best defenceman of his generation and there was nothing mean about his game. now don't get me wrong, shultz couldnt hold lidstroms jock right now, but the point is NHL d-men don't have to be webers or prongers to be considered elite. the leetchs, lidstroms and niedermeyers of the world made a pretty damn good living not playing a "mean" game.

Thats the whole point, what are his chances of becoming as good as Leetch or Niedermayer? Not very high IMO. AS for Lidstrom, like you said he was the best of his generation so 0.0000001 % IMO this kid has all the tools, he just needs to put it all together mentally. That means shoring up the ares of his game which are lacking, namely the defensive side and the tenacity to outwork the opposition. It's these areas of his game that I question, along with that killer attitude that the top guys have which he seems to be lacking. The elite guys play in all situations and I don't see him on the PK or protecting a lead late in the game on a continual basis. I just don't see him being more than 3rd pairing PP specialist on a contending team.I want him to prove me wrong and I will gladly eat crow, because that will mean Mac T was right and we have a norris trophy candidate on our team.

Throttlehead

Jan 22, 2014
Victoria B.C.
This makes no sense. People get so obsessed with the true number 1 they forget you need a god dam pp guy. You don't need a number 1 if you have a shutdown guy and a pp guy, they combine for a number 1. There aren't many Shea Webbers out there. Get your head out of your :sarcasm: and stop thinking we are getting one, or need one. Schultz is what we need.

I can't remember any in recent history that were #1 after 120 games. People need to relax a bit, they want to trade everyone after 2 years NHL experience. This board should have blown up after the Nikitin signing, if they think the Schultz or Petry one was bad. We finally have a coach for our backend guys, I think there will be big improvement by all of them, providing Eakins gets scotch guarded before each game and lets Ramsay handle the D.

MrOiler

Jul 28, 2006
Calgary
I read the deal as this: prove to us that the first year in the AHL/NHL wasn't a fluke. Show us you're that good at the NHL level and you have more room to grow and we'll give the big contract.

Schultz's camp thinks he's worth a lot or a longer term deal would have been signed this summer (at least 2 years).

If Schultz steps up, we'll see a longer term (6 year deal) so the Oil can lock him up. If he remains the same player as last year, the leverage goes to the Oilers. I'm okay with that strategy. Hemsky wasn't locked up until he hit the 200 NHL game mark either - that contract turned out to be a bargin.

Let the games begin.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
imo it's high considering that Demers signed 3.4 x 2

It could end up for the best though if we get Schultz on a long term deal right after this deal (rather than another bridge). After two years, with cap inflation and with Schultz getting better, his cost might go up by a lot.

If all goes well this season I could see Schultz getting 6 million long term, which would technically be less than Hall's deal considering when it was signed and that it would have a lot of UFA years

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
imo it's high considering that Demers signed 3.4 x 2

It could end up for the best though if we get Schultz on a long term deal right after this deal (rather than another bridge). After two years, with cap inflation and with Schultz getting better, his cost might go up by a lot.

If all goes well this season I could see Schultz getting 6 million long term, which would technically be less than Hall's deal considering when it was signed and that it would have a lot of UFA years

That is my take as well and why I was happy that it was a one year deal instead of a two. We also didn't try to cheap out on him on this deal so it shows good faith on our side. Outside of a max deal which is what I was advocating (I obviously believe in him a lot more than most and I think that the amount of games that I watched of him in OKC has a lot to do with this) this is the next best thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad