TSN: Justin Schultz - 3.675 / 1 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
So MacT on weekend states that he feels this contract is a good compromise for J Schultz.

I would alternately state that the most talented D on this team, and most highly touted D, that chose to come here has been compromised with this contract as two newcomers, Nikitin, and Fayne are now being paid more by the org. and with longterm goodfaith contracts that pay them way over what either was ever making before.

I really hope J Schultz REALLY loves it here. Because theres nothing in me that would like what transpired here. This if anything would convince me to be looking elsewhere.

A couple of things here. Schultz has been compromised with the contract because he hasn't proven enough to be worthy of a long term contract although i would have preferred that he be locked up sooner than later if they were willing to take a Gardiner level contract but that didn't seem to be the case since Schultz's camp was apparently looking for more.

Also, handing out a lucrative long term deal to a player as a "Thank You" for signing with the team doesn't make a whole lot of sense. I understand that there is probably some good faith involved since Schultz chose Edmonton over all others but the player needs to at least somewhat earn the contract also. You can't just give him whatever he wants just because he chose Edmonton.

Comparing Nikitin (not a long term deal btw, not sure why you're saying that) and Fayne to the Schultz negotiations is comparing apples and oranges, UFA vs. RFA.
The Oilers can afford to put off signing Schultz long term because he's team controlled for the next several years whereas free agents are only going to come to Edmonton for overpayment since they have a choice of other teams to sign with although the Fayne deal is an excellent one IMO, really underrated player.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
So MacT on weekend states that he feels this contract is a good compromise for J Schultz.

I would alternately state that the most talented D on this team, and most highly touted D, that chose to come here has been compromised with this contract as two newcomers, Nikitin, and Fayne are now being paid more by the org. and with longterm goodfaith contracts that pay them way over what either was ever making before.

I really hope J Schultz REALLY loves it here. Because theres nothing in me that would like what transpired here. This if anything would convince me to be looking elsewhere.

The guy just got overpaid for one year's work and is set up for an even bigger pay day next offseason, all based on little more than potential. He's laughing his ass off right now.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
The guy just got overpaid for one year's work and is set up for an even bigger pay day next offseason, all based on little more than potential. He's laughing his ass off right now.

Yes, but this is coming from the person who's doesn't believe in the player what so ever. If you're lucky, they'll find a trade this season.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
fair enough, I just think both had small sample sizes. Also your missing the fact that last season was 6 months ago. alot can change especially for young players.

Players get better by gaining experience which only happens during the season.

ps. lets not forget Klef is over a year younger. Also Marincin put up his best AHL numbers playing with Hall, ebs and Nuge.

Klefbom played on that team as well and (despite getting prime PP time) it didnt help his numbers much at all.

Kelfbom may be younger than Marincin but that doesn't mean he is going to magically start doing something he has never done at any level. I like Klefbom but he will never have the offensive element to his game that Marincin has.

Both are good young players though but I just cant see Klefboms ceiling being higher than Marincin.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking

Every pro player is overpaid. So in general terms I can see your point. In relative terms theres no universe in which a N Nikitin should be getting paid more than a J Schultz.

I agree that Schultz will probably setup for a bigger contract. I think that will end up being somewhere else or that the Oilers have to dig much deeper. As per usual the Oilers would have had much to do with setting up that higher contract worth. All Schultz agent has to say is Nikitin.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
Every pro player is overpaid. So in general terms I can see your point. In relative terms theres no universe in which a N Nikitin should be getting paid more than a J Schultz.

I agree that Schultz will probably setup for a bigger contract. I think that will end up being somewhere else or that the Oilers have to dig much deeper. As per usual the Oilers would have had much to do with setting up that higher contract worth. All Schultz agent has to say is Nikitin.

I hope the Oilers take a little bit of a harder line internally than the verbiage coming out has suggested (they seem to love this kid for some reason). He needs to step up big time this year and show he's a real top pairing defender.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
I hope the Oilers take a little bit of a harder line internally than the verbiage coming out has suggested (they seem to love this kid for some reason). He needs to step up big time this year and show he's a real top pairing defender.

Yeah, one of the problems with this club is entitlement is *earned* before results are had.

In some sense just showing up here with a smile and playing one end of the rink has been enough to get big contracts.

These guys haven't even had to exhibit all round hockey before scoring big contracts.

Smart Dunsparce*

If you look at his advanced stats its pretty clear that he was playing quite a bit better then any of our other dman. To my eye he also played a simple game and had a good first pass. Was really impressed by what he brought. His only down side is he's still lanky but hopefully he was able to bulk up a bit over the summer.
Marincin apparently gained 5 pounds over the summer.
So that's good news, hopefully Hopkins saw the same type of gains.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Players get better by gaining experience which only happens during the season.

Klefbom played on that team as well and (despite getting prime PP time) it didnt help his numbers much at all.

Kelfbom may be younger than Marincin but that doesn't mean he is going to magically start doing something he has never done at any level. I like Klefbom but he will never have the offensive element to his game that Marincin has.

Both are good young players though but I just cant see Klefboms ceiling being higher than Marincin.

Klef did not play on that team at all. WE are talking about the lock out year. Players develop in the offseason, players work out, play hockey ect and so on. Some times players did big jumps over a offseason.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Tyson Barrie, similar style player, age 24 on his second contract was signed by Colorado Avs with a two year deal for 2.6 per year.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/avalanche-reward-tyson-barrie-with-2-year-deal-1.2756127

How does this compare with Schultz?

Wow. These guys are pretty similar. Drafted about 20 spots apart, almost exact same splits points wise (goal every 6-7 games, point about every 2nd game), same weight. Justin is about 4 inches taller. So is 4 inches, better AHL numbers (in small sample size) and being drafted 20 spots earlier worth an additional $1M? Hard to see that.

Perhaps the Avs got a really good deal, but it definitely makes the Oilers look like they didn't get much of a deal.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
Wow. These guys are pretty similar. Drafted about 20 spots apart, almost exact same splits points wise (goal every 6-7 games, point about every 2nd game), same weight. Justin is about 4 inches taller. So is 4 inches, better AHL numbers (in small sample size) and being drafted 20 spots earlier worth an additional $1M? Hard to see that.

Perhaps the Avs got a really good deal, but it definitely makes the Oilers look like they didn't get much of a deal.

Playing on a team thats good versus a team that just finished bottom 5 might explain some of the price difference

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Fixed that for you.

:laugh: In your mind maybe. No need to be disingenuous about this, because the number I posted was closer to his actual salary and starting point for negotiations. It's really silly to assume otherwise.

So Justin Schultz is going to be your "Shawn Horcoff" then?

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
I'm interested to see how Danny Dekeyser's contract negotiations shakedown in Detroit. They have 5+M in cap space, but a 3M carry over from last season.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I'm interested to see how Danny Dekeyser's contract negotiations shakedown in Detroit. They have 5+M in cap space, but a 3M carry over from last season.

I think the 5M cap space includes accounting for the carry over, so there isn't any concerns over there. He's also coming in on a much smaller first contract ( His AAV value was $1.35M as opposed to Schultz' $3.775M), many less games played, huge difference in goals per game average, and smaller PPG average.

There is no way he ends up with Schultz money. If he is close to Barrie's then that probably shows that there actually is an impact to UFA signed entry-level players on their second contract.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
:laugh: In your mind maybe. No need to be disingenuous about this, because the number I posted was closer to his actual salary and starting point for negotiations. It's really silly to assume otherwise.

That was his take home in year one. He didn't hit all his bonuses in year two. Fact remains, they overpaid for Schultz. It's not a big deal this year, but it does set the stage for a huge payday down the line for a guy who has proven very little and who has little motivation to get better.

Nah. Horcoff actually knew his way around the defensive zone.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
That was his take home in year one. He didn't hit all his bonuses in year two. Fact remains, they overpaid for Schultz. It's not a big deal this year, but it does set the stage for a huge payday down the line for a guy who has proven very little and who has little motivation to get better.

Nah. Horcoff actually knew his way around the defensive zone.

Fact remains Schultz is about himself still and not the team first.

Not that I'm against the contract or shocked at what he got, but you can really see that nothing has changed from the whole "where can I make the most money the quickest" that we heard when he was a UFA.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Thought the real number was 1.8?

Anyway why would it matter that much? Be different if Barrie got his deal first, but why couldn't Barrie ask for more after the Schultz deal?

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I don't like the straight-across comparison with Schultz and Barrie.

Schultz has that unique circumstance of going UFA as a young player, and that is definitely factoring in to his current contract.

And I also agree with Mac T saying that he wants to seem loyal to his team and to keep the players happy. This is professional sports and I doubt that most players have any great allegiance to their team. They want to get paid, particularly if they're in a crappy situation.

Are the Oilers going to have to overpay every single contract until we become successful? The answer is yes.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
Schultz has better past numbers than Barrie and a high draft position. It's no wonder he got more, because he's a better horse to bet on

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad