TSN: Justin Schultz - 3.675 / 1 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I'll be a dissenter and say that I think Klefbom definitely needs another entire season in the AHL... at a minimum. I saw nothing from him last season that says he's an NHL dman at this point and more development in OKC will definitely help him. He's one prospect that they definitely should not be rushing into the lineup because he's dealt with a lot of injury issues and looks to me like he definitely needs more time adjusting to the NA style of play.

Really hard to imagine we were watching the same player. He was far from dominant, but, he looked right at home in the NHL a lot of the time. I am not saying we should pen him in, but, if he looks good in camp I have no problem giving him a NHL spot.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Really hard to imagine we were watching the same player. He was far from dominant, but, he looked right at home in the NHL a lot of the time. I am not saying we should pen him in, but, if he looks good in camp I have no problem giving him a NHL spot.

I want to make it clear... I'm far from a Klefbom hater or anything like that... I just feel he didn't make a strong enough impact at the NHL level... certainly not to the degree Marincin did and I think he could use more time in OKC.

Hopefully getting Fayne and Nikitin allows the Oilers to do just that. They at the least are both legit NHL dmen unlike what the Oilers were trying to put into their blueline last season so that should help the entire defensive structure in the org instead of pushing dmen into situations above their heads and too early into their careers.

Klefbom has had a lot of downtime due to injuries and I simply don't want him rushed into this lineup simply because the Oilers don't have anyone better. He deserves better than that and needs slow and steady development... like how dmen like Musil and Gernat are being developed now and how Marincin was given more time in OKC as well... and it looks to be paying dividends so far for him.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

I agree with this.

The funny thing is that, by the end of the season, Klefbom already looked like our best d-man along the boards.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
My only concern about Klefbom is if he can play a physical style and still stay off the IR. I don't want to see another Pitlick situation where the guy can seemingly only stay healthy when he plays neutered.

IF he can pull that off, then there's no doubt in my mind that he will force his way into the starting 6 D. Maybe not at the beginning of the year, but for sure before the end.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
Marincin by nature likes to play more of an offensive role than what we saw of him at the NHL level last season. I really don't see him as being the stay at home type when he translates his game fully to the NHL level. I think that Marincin would still be an upgrade on Ference as Schultz's partner but IMO Klefbom is the best partner that we have for Schultz in every way except for experience.

Agreed.

But until Marincin gets the opportunity to grow his offensive side he is probably our best option to keep any pairing Schultz is in from being overwhelmed defensively.

Klefbom most likely still isn't ready for a top 4 role next year especially with Schultz's experience level.

Agree with Nexttothemoon as well.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
To be honest I think both Marincin and Klefbom could use another full year in the AHL ... we just don't have that kind of depth so likely Marincin will play up. But it's not like their game would do anything but improve with another year of development in the AHL IMO. I think in Marincin's case he could build his offensive confidence in the AHL. It's much tougher to take chances at the NHL level.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Agreed.

But until Marincin gets the opportunity to grow his offensive side he is probably our best option to keep any pairing Schultz is in from being overwhelmed defensively.

Klefbom most likely still isn't ready for a top 4 role next year especially with Schultz's experience level.

Agree with Nexttothemoon as well.

From what I saw last year, which was that Klef played great with Schultz I think it really sets up our D as.

Fayne-Nikitin
Petry-Ference
Klef-Schultz.

I would love to see this. it is a bit unfair to Marincin, who played well enough to get a spot in the NHL, for that matter Nurse as well. But, I think that is our best Defence out of the gate.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
From what I saw last year, which was that Klef played great with Schultz I think it really sets up our D as.

Fayne-Nikitin
Petry-Ference
Klef-Schultz.

I would love to see this. it is a bit unfair to Marincin, who played well enough to get a spot in the NHL, for that matter Nurse as well. But, I think that is our best Defence out of the gate.

I see our D breaking down something like:

Nikitin-Schultz (Lots of offensive zone starts and weaker competition)
Marincin-Petry(Best Pairing all year last year)
Ference-Fayne( Solid shut down pairing that can move the puck)
Aulie

All the pairings get right around 20 min of ice time a night. The Ference-Fayne pairing gets majority of PK time while Nikitin-Schultz get majority of PP, Marincin-Petry play second unit on both PK-PP.

Klefbom sent down to work on his offensive game and Nurse back to Junior. Klefbom is first call up if anyone gets injured and plays with Schultz.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
I see our D breaking down something like:

Nikitin-Schultz (Lots of offensive zone starts and weaker competition)
Marincin-Petry(Best Pairing all year last year)
Ference-Fayne( Solid shut down pairing that can move the puck)
Aulie

All the pairings get right around 20 min of ice time a night. The Ference-Fayne pairing gets majority of PK time while Nikitin-Schultz get majority of PP, Marincin-Petry play second unit on both PK-PP.

Klefbom sent down to work on his offensive game and Nurse back to Junior. Klefbom is first call up if anyone gets injured and plays with Schultz.

I may come across as pro klef, just think he has more upside than Marnincin. at the end of the day though I don't think either proved they deserve a spot in the NHL yet. I think it will come down to camp. I have no problem giving the one that earns a spot the spot, including Nurse.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
I may come across as pro klef, just think he has more upside than Marnincin. at the end of the day though I don't think either proved they deserve a spot in the NHL yet. I think it will come down to camp. I have no problem giving the one that earns a spot the spot, including Nurse.

Marincin was our best dman last year and has already found his offensive game at the AHL level. Klefbom really needs to put up points down there before taking a full time role on the big team unless we want to turn him into a Smid. Hopefully Eakins gives Marincin the green light for offence this year and a little PP time. I could see him ending up with around 20 points and being our best shutdown defender.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Marincin was our best dman last year and has already found his offensive game at the AHL level. Klefbom really needs to put up points down there before taking a full time role on the big team unless we want to turn him into a Smid. Hopefully Eakins gives Marincin the green light for offence this year and a little PP time. I could see him ending up with around 20 points and being our best shutdown defender.

Agree to disagree I guess. Just don't think Marincin was all that good last year. He looked great for games, but other games he looked week and slow. He got pushed of the puck a lot in our end. He tended to make smart players to make up for it, but, I don't see him as a lock, or as being our best d man last year. I mean he only played half the year for one.

Raab

Oct 6, 2007
Agree to disagree I guess. Just don't think Marincin was all that good last year. He looked great for games, but other games he looked week and slow. He got pushed of the puck a lot in our end. He tended to make smart players to make up for it, but, I don't see him as a lock, or as being our best d man last year. I mean he only played half the year for one.

If you look at his advanced stats its pretty clear that he was playing quite a bit better then any of our other dman. To my eye he also played a simple game and had a good first pass. Was really impressed by what he brought. His only down side is he's still lanky but hopefully he was able to bulk up a bit over the summer.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013

As long as Marincin is waiver exempt he is an option to get sent down, but a full NHL season is the obvious next step for his development. There's no reason to go backwards with him at this point. As for Klefbom and Nurse, there is good reason to hold them back regardless of how they do this year. Klefbom has been stalled by injuries and didn't really master the AHL yet. Nurse is still very young.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
If you look at his advanced stats its pretty clear that he was playing quite a bit better then any of our other dman. To my eye he also played a simple game and had a good first pass. Was really impressed by what he brought. His only down side is he's still lanky but hopefully he was able to bulk up a bit over the summer.

meh, small sample size. Again, I think it comes down to how they look in camp.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
meh, small sample size. Again, I think it comes down to how they look in camp.

So you would rather use an even smaller (and less important) sample size (training camp) to evaluate Marincin and Klefbom?

Marincin played 44 games last season and played tougher minutes than Klefbom during that time. Not the largest of sample sizes to be sure but a hell of a lot more revealing than a training camp would ever be.

Even Klefboms 17 games from last season will have a lot more meaning than some pre-season games against scrubs.

Your criteria for 'sample size' doesnt make a lot of sense.

As I see it....
Marincin has potential to put up some points in the NHL so he has the potential to be a more well rounded dman with shutdown potential. Klefboms offense will always be an issue so his ceiling is that of a shutdown dman.

Marincins ceiling is higher.

oilinblood

Aug 8, 2009
This is the basic fallacy in a nutshell. Guilt by association. As long as the org takes that view of its better players this rebuild will be unending. At some point you assemble and stick with players that are good and treat them with respect.

Not every player on a team are the reason the team is losing. Theres so many holes in recent years version of the team that expecting anybody to do much more than tread water is unrealistic. Especially considering the gongshow coaching we had last season.

Gilbert, Petry, J Schultz are good D that played in a bad environment. They certainly aren't bad players and any credible team in the league would be glad to take them off our hands. Which in the case of Gilbert already happened.

That Gilbert - N Schultz trade btw is a classic example of how fans, and the org, devalue the incumbent Oiler players. Always thinking the grass is greener somewhere else.

Strangely enough there were few people here that disliked that trade, I was one of them. But now you won't anybody that did like that trade. The Oilers shouldn't either because they **** the bed on that one.

I was a Nick Schultz fan and i came on the board backing up the acquisition.
I didnt like that we gave up a RHD for another lefty though and like when we traded both Stoll and Brodziak...i felt there must be another trade in the future on the table to fill the hole they made. Just like when Stoll and Brodz were tossed the hole was never filled by experienced players and our right side became a preschool.
All and all the trade made zero sense unless we had another EXPERIENCED RHD coming in another trade. We didnt.

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
So you would rather use an even smaller (and less important) sample size (training camp) to evaluate Marincin and Klefbom?

Marincin played 44 games last season and played tougher minutes than Klefbom during that time. Not the largest of sample sizes to be sure but a hell of a lot more revealing than a training camp would ever be.

Even Klefboms 17 games from last season will have a lot more meaning than some pre-season games against scrubs.

Your criteria for 'sample size' doesnt make a lot of sense.

As I see it....
Marincin has potential to put up some points in the NHL so he has the potential to be a more well rounded dman with shutdown potential. Klefboms offense will always be an issue so his ceiling is that of a shutdown dman.

Marincins ceiling is higher.

fair enough, I just think both had small sample sizes. Also your missing the fact that last season was 6 months ago. alot can change especially for young players.

ps. lets not forget Klef is over a year younger. Also Marincin put up his best AHL numbers playing with Hall, ebs and Nuge.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
So MacT on weekend states that he feels this contract is a good compromise for J Schultz.

I would alternately state that the most talented D on this team, and most highly touted D, that chose to come here has been compromised with this contract as two newcomers, Nikitin, and Fayne are now being paid more by the org. and with longterm goodfaith contracts that pay them way over what either was ever making before.

I really hope J Schultz REALLY loves it here. Because theres nothing in me that would like what transpired here. This if anything would convince me to be looking elsewhere.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I was a Nick Schultz fan and i came on the board backing up the acquisition.
I didnt like that we gave up a RHD for another lefty though and like when we traded both Stoll and Brodziak...i felt there must be another trade in the future on the table to fill the hole they made. Just like when Stoll and Brodz were tossed the hole was never filled by experienced players and our right side became a preschool.
All and all the trade made zero sense unless we had another EXPERIENCED RHD coming in another trade. We didnt.
The emergence of Petry is what made Gilbert expendable, and last season Petry was better than Gilbert ever was. Also, Nick Schultz can play the right side. He prefers the left but I believe he was playing on the right until we signed Justin.

Nick Schultz was a bit a flubb. He was supposed to be a veteran to stabilize the defense, which is more important than making sure we have enough right handed shooters (some teams have few RHD and just have lefties in those spots- ie Philly). When Schultz didn't work we tried Ference. That was a mixed bag, so we got Fayne.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
So MacT on weekend states that he feels this contract is a good compromise for J Schultz.

I would alternately state that the most talented D on this team, and most highly touted D, that chose to come here has been compromised with this contract as two newcomers, Nikitin, and Fayne are now being paid more by the org. and with longterm goodfaith contracts that pay them way over what either was ever making before.

I really hope J Schultz REALLY loves it here. Because theres nothing in me that would like what transpired here. This if anything would convince me to be looking elsewhere.

RFA contract versus UFA contracts.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
RFA contract versus UFA contracts.

This is understood. What isn't so obvious is that the increases in pay need to be in the range of 150% increases.

and for somebody as insignificant as Nikitin. What we're paying for this player would make me laugh if I was a fan of any other team.

PaPaDee

5-14-6-1
Sep 21, 2005
Saskazoo
This is understood. What isn't so obvious is that the increases in pay need to be in the range of 150% increases.

and for somebody as insignificant as Nikitin. What we're paying for this player would make me laugh if I was a fan of any other team.

C'mon replacement, it's pretty obvious UFAs are going to get overpaid, especially if it's Edmonton.

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton

He is a third pairing d man that you have to hide from tough compition. Schultz can look else where but he would probably be looking at AHL time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad