TSN: Justin Schultz - 3.675 / 1 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I agree with you that anything Mac says in public is really "mere puffery". Even things like "there isn't going to be a trade" doesn't mean he doesn't have several irons in the fire.

But when this organization is really the laughing stock of the league (and let's be honest, it is), why throw out tweetbait comments like "Norris trophy potential"?

At least leave that for when you sign him to a 7-year deal for $49 million or something.

The jury is out, both Jultz and Mac T admitted that, and it's a "show me" contract.

That's true. MacT certainly didn't do himself any favours with those statements. Hopefully the team improves a lot this year and we can look back at the things he said today differently than we see them now.

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007
You're right, just ask Erik Karlsson

That's ridiculous and dumb frankly. He make Nick Schultz worse? FFS

First, corrected for you, second, ok then, so you've already written him off as a hockey player.

That doesn't mean his potential doesn't exist, you just have to deal with the fact it exist outside your frame of reference or view.

"You're right, just ask Erik Karlsson"
Yes his 78 points earned him a Norris trophy. I wonder why he didn't win the Norris in 2013? Or Why Letang didn't beat out PK in 2012? Or Vishnovski in 2010? Should I keep going?

"That's ridiculous and dumb frankly. He make Nick Schultz worse? FFS "
I would love to know Nick Schultz stats with and without Justin on his line. I could be wrong here. You don't think a veteran Dman playing with a free wheeling offensive defencemen who is below average in his own end, doesn't make him a worse player?

"First, corrected for you, second, ok then, so you've already written him off as a hockey player".
For an english teacher, you take the context of my posts and turn them pretty quick. Where did I write him off as a player? I said he is a 2/3/4 defencemen, and is a VERY VERY long stretch to be a Norris Trophy canidate. Something tells me I could name 10 dmen his age or younger in which you would trade in a heartbeat for him (not including the 30 that are already better then him)

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
[/B]

Yes his 78 points earned him a Norris trophy. I wonder why he didn't win the Norris in 2013? Or Why Letang didn't beat out PK in 2012? Or Vishnovski in 2010? Should I keep going?

I would love to know Nick Schultz stats with and without Justin on his line. I could be wrong here. You don't think a veteran Dman playing with a free wheeling offensive defencemen who is below average in his own end, doesn't make him a worse player?

"First, corrected for you, second, ok then, so you've already written him off as a hockey player".
For an english teacher, you take the context of my posts and turn them pretty quick. Where did I write him off as a player? I said he is a 2/3/4 defencemen, and is a VERY VERY long stretch to be a Norris Trophy canidate. Something tells me I could name 10 dmen his age or younger in which you would trade in a heartbeat for him (not including the 30 that are already better then him)

You're bad at this.

Yup, Nik Lidstrom won a lot of Norris, with the way the PHWA works, make you wonder if the Name had something to do with it. (This is not to say Lidstrom wasn't great, he was, but the PHWA has it's issues)

Again, it's a ridiculous and dumb statement, Justin Schultz has his struggles, but "makes other players worse" is stupid argument that holds little water.

No, what you said is you think Justin Schultz' max is a marginal/middling offensive defenseman on bad teams. So, clearly you don't see any value in the play, he's this thing you describe. My point is the same, Justin Schultz has very high end potential, who knows if he gets all the way there, but IT IS THERE. Just because you've Written that Off (as in you don't consider it any more) doesn't mean it isn't there.

You have to figure out how you will reconcile the reality, Justin Schultz a young offensive defenseman with high end potential, with Your reality, Justin Schultz as this middling player who won't do much.

oilz89*

Fingers cross. Maybe he'll have a hot start and the Oilers can sell high on a 1st rounder or something.

Uhhh NO :help: We DON'T need any more friggin first rounders we need established NHL players!!!!:help: If Schultz can establish himself as a legit NHLer then you keep him!!! Why the heck would we need a first rounder?? ENOUGH with rebuilding!!! I want this team to win some games. Not lie back and wait for the damn NHL entry draft :shakehead:shakehead

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Uhhh NO :help: We DON'T need any more friggin first rounders we need established NHL players!!!!:help: If Schultz can establish himself as a legit NHLer then you keep him!!! Why the heck would we need a first rounder?? ENOUGH with rebuilding!!! I want this team to win some games. Not lie back and wait for the damn NHL entry draft :shakehead:shakehead

:laugh:, I know it was meant slightly in jest.

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007
You're bad at this.

Yup, Nik Lidstrom won a lot of Norris, with the way the PHWA works, make you wonder if the Name had something to do with it. (This is not to say Lidstrom wasn't great, he was, but the PHWA has it's issues)

Again, it's a ridiculous and dumb statement, Justin Schultz has his struggles, but "makes other players worse" is stupid argument that holds little water.

No, what you said is you think Justin Schultz' max is a marginal/middling offensive defenseman on bad teams. So, clearly you don't see any value in the play, he's this thing you describe. My point is the same, Justin Schultz has very high end potential, who knows if he gets all the way there, but IT IS THERE. Just because you've Written that Off (as in you don't consider it any more) doesn't mean it isn't there.

You have to figure out how you will reconcile the reality, Justin Schultz a young offensive defenseman with high end potential, with Your reality, Justin Schultz as this middling player who won't do much.

1. So now the Norris has to factor in the PHWA as well? So it isn't just points? Pretty sure that is what I said all along. You factor in more then just points.

2. I'm not sure how you can say that on a defensive pairing (which means 2 people) , when 1 person isn't all that great in his own end, it doesn't make the other person at a disadvantage? Do you not agree that it would be easier for NShucltz to play with a guy like Ladi Smid or Andrew Ferrence then it would be with JShultz?

3. My original comment was he would be a 2/3 guy on a poor team and a 3/4 guy on a good team.

You have only knocked holes into my opinion but have yet to really state your own?
Try to answer the following:
1. Do you beleive Justin Schultz will ever be nomintated for a Norris Trophy? Yes or no?
2. On a Cup contending team, do you Schultz ever being a number 1 Dman? Yes or No?

3. Are there 20 defencemen better then Schultz right now not including the 10 under 25 that are better then him as we speak?

If your answers are no to all of the above, are we not saying the same thing?

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
i love when hfoil gets divided on anything and both sides just dig their feet into the ground and start bashing on every granular piece of info they can. it means the season is starting soon so we can all fight about that.

oilz89*

i love when hfoil gets divided on anything and both sides just dig their feet into the ground and start bashing on every granular piece of info they can. it means the season is starting soon so we can all fight about that.

so much fun :yo:

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
1. So now the Norris has to factor in the PHWA as well? So it isn't just points? Pretty sure that is what I said all along. You factor in more then just points.

2. I'm not sure how you can say that on a defensive pairing (which means 2 people) , when 1 person isn't all that great in his own end, it doesn't make the other person at a disadvantage? Do you not agree that it would be easier for NShucltz to play with a guy like Ladi Smid or Andrew Ferrence then it would be with JShultz?

3. My original comment was he would be a 2/3 guy on a poor team and a 3/4 guy on a good team.

You have only knocked holes into my opinion but have yet to really state your own?
Try to answer the following:
1. Do you beleive Justin Schultz will ever be nomintated for a Norris Trophy? Yes or no?
2. On a Cup contending team, do you Schultz ever being a number 1 Dman? Yes or No?

3. Are there 20 defencemen better then Schultz right now not including the 10 under 25 that are better then him as we speak?

If your answers are no to all of the above, are we not saying the same thing?
This is completely disingenuous

Potential

Ok, so you need to think this way about Justin Schultz, you go ahead and do that, just Stop being surprised when you opposition to your self-confirmed opinion on the player.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

How about "many players do worse when paired with Justin Schultz than with other players like Jeff Petry?"

I don't even buy the idea that he's got high-end potential, certainly not elite.

Pros: He's got better than average instincts for when to jump into the play, a good, quick release wrist shot, decent mobility and good size

Cons: no slap shot to speak of, poor positioning, not physical for his size, slow to come back, generally indifferent to defending.

This isn't PK Subban of two years ago who had every single tool you could want in a elite defender (size, speed, skating, physicality, shot, offensive instincts), and for whom it was just a question of pulling it all together.

OttawaOilers

Nov 12, 2012
Image92.gif

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
[/B]

PK didn't win the Norris in 2012. It was Karlsson.

You know Nick Schultz was a scratch in Columbus and is slotted as a #7 in Philly right? Is that Justin's fault too?

Red Deer Rebel

Apr 7, 2008
Red Deer
Schultz is the most underrated player on this board IMO, his upside is huge.

Schultz is a fairly polarizing player, BBO.

I would argue he is the most overrated player on this board.

Watching Schultz and Ference get slaughtered in our end last year was a pretty gut-wrenching experience.

He honestly wasn't that good on the power play either ...

Yes, he's got "potential", but he is now the second highest paid D on the team, and, to be frank, should be on the 3rd pairing at ES until he grows a pair.

...Are there 20 defencemen better then Schultz right now not including the 10 under 25 that are better then him as we speak?

Just 10? Marincin totally outplayed him last year, and, in my view, so did Klefbom. So there is 2 from our team alone, with Nurse yet to come.

If we're speaking of potential, I expect to see a lot more from Marincin and Klefbom - especially offensively. Marincin was jumping up into the play at the right times all year, but didn't really get rewarded for it in terms of points.

Marincin is 2 years younger than Schultz; Klefbom is 3 years younger. Both are bigger, have more cojones, and actually have a clue what they are doing in their own end.

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007
This is completely disingenuous

Potential

Ok, so you need to think this way about Justin Schultz, you go ahead and do that, just Stop being surprised when you opposition to your self-confirmed opinion on the player.

I am still waiting to hear your opinion on the player! You obviously disagree with mine or just like to argue any opinion!

Ctrl C -Ctrl P.

Lets try and get an opinion out of you rather than just knocking mine.

Try to answer the following without going off on a tangent as all the questions below pertain to POTENTIAL :

knockoutpanda

Oilers Fan
Dec 10, 2008
Edmonton
Try to answer the following without going off on a tangent as all the questions below pertain to POTENTIAL :
1. Do you beleive Justin Schultz will ever be nomintated for a Norris Trophy? Yes or no? No
2. On a Cup contending team, do you Schultz ever being a number 1 Dman? Yes or No?No

3. Are there 20 defencemen better then Schultz right now not including the 10 under 25 that are better then him as we speak?Yes

Do you need a list of 20 defencemen?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I am still waiting to hear your opinion on the player! You obviously disagree with mine or just like to argue any opinion!

Ctrl C -Ctrl P.

Lets try and get an opinion out of you rather than just knocking mine.

You are being and these questions are disingenuous.

The point of "potential" is the lack of certainty. If you need certainty, tell yourself you're right.

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint

The season is NOT starting soon and you are a fool if you believe so! I will fight you on this till the day I die!!

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007
You are being and these questions are disingenuous.

The point of "potential" is the lack of certainty. If you need certainty, tell yourself you're right.

All i'm asking is you form an opinion and state and opinion rather than knock another opinion.

Your like the wife that wants to go for supper and "doesn't care " where we eat. But every time you make a suggestion she doesn't want to eat there. but "doesn't care" where we eat.

Form an opinion-

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
Holy balls this thread.

I could care less if Schultz never wins a Norris or even comes close (Keep in mind this is an award Phaneuf was once nominated for and Doughty hasn't won yet).

I just want the team to be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad