TSN: Justin Schultz - 3.675 / 1 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Sorry !!

I am not misrepresenting that he just said Schultz has Norris Trophy potential!

:help::help:

Yup he said that, guys who score points get Norris Trophy nominations. Justin Schultz high end "potential" is Norris Trophy level.

Notice, if you pay attention, he said "I think Schultz has Norris Trophy 'Potential'"

And NOT "Justin Schultz will become a Norris Trophy defenseman"

See there's a Difference There.

gqmixmaster

Jun 1, 2006
im excited for this season, this is the first time Its felt like the Oilers might actually not suck in a long long time.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
The Oilers have had no offensive threat on the back end beside JS.
No one else has cracked 20pts the past couple season while J.Schultz has 60 NHL pts and a boat load AHL ones the past 2 yrs.

If guys like Enstrom, Goligoski, Fowler etc can "survive" the west.. So can J.Schultz.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
What is it with our management and their inability to keep their mouths shut? I'm looking at MacT's comments on twitter and :facepalm: ing.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
True. But by next year we will have almost fully phased out the real big rookie bonus contracts (assuming a non-top 3 pick in next year's draft and Leon excepted), so I'm sure the team wants to be ready to go all in and be a cap team and not worry about insuring themselves against potential bonus'.

If they have a couple million in penalties to pay off, it puts them at a slight disadvantage against the other teams spending to the cap. Minor still as it likely would only be a couple percentage points of the cap, but that may be all it would take to outbid another team on a free agent that could be willing to come.

Also, if Nail hits these bonus', he's looking at minimum $6M like the other golden boys. They need to be ready to absorb that.

You don't worry about that, you look forward to it. Because if he puts himself in the $6M class, that means he's become(/becoming) a hell of a hockey player.

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007
Yup he said that, guys who score points get Norris Trophy nominations. Justin Schultz high end "potential" is Norris Trophy level.

Notice, if you pay attention, he said "I think Schultz has Norris Trophy 'Potential'"

And NOT "Justin Schultz will become a Norris Trophy defenseman"

See there's a Difference There.

Thank you for clarifying. You should become my english teacher.

I could become your eye doctor. If you notice that is what I wrote. "Norris Trophy Potential".

Do you think Schultz has Norris Trophy Potential?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Sorry !!

I am not misrepresenting that he just said Schultz has Norris Trophy potential!

:help::help:

Subban and Karlsson won one and they only have a passing familiarity with the defensive zone. Don't kid yourself, if Schultz can improve defensively (and I think we can all agree he was much better in the 2nd half) and get into the 50+ point range, he'd get votes.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
At a press conference about the player they just signed? You're not serious?

I can't believe there is even a press conference for this but I'm talking about the overconfidence.. Lowe and MacTavish make themselves sound like complete idiots. They should keep their mouths shut.

"Justin has Norris trophy potential and I don't see many people disagreeing with me on that."

"I think it's fair to say half the teams in the league would trade their roster for ours."

It's just embarrassing.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Thank you for clarifying. You should become my english teacher.

I could become your eye doctor. If you notice that is what I wrote. "Norris Trophy Potential".

Do you think Schultz has Norris Trophy Potential?

Absolutely Justin Schultz has Norris Trophy Potential, no question in my mind.

Will Justin Schultz be a Norris Trophy defenseman? I don't know, I doubt it, but in terms of Potential, Absolutely.

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007
Subban and Karlsson won one and they only have a passing familiarity with the defensive zone. Don't kid yourself, if Schultz can improve defensively (and I think we can all agree he was much better in the 2nd half) and get into the 50+ point range, he'd get votes.

I agree you have to put up points and that is key factor, but you can't be a defensive liability playing on the 2nd pairing.

With that theory Torey Krug could be a shoe in for next season.

Schultz would have to put up 50 points, play 27-30 minutes a night and play in all situations.

Would you be comfortable with him playing 27-30 minutes a night ?

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I can't believe there is even a press conference for this but I'm talking about the overconfidence.. Lowe and MacTavish make themselves sound like complete idiots. They should keep their mouths shut.

"Justin has Norris trophy potential and I don't see many people disagreeing with me on that."

"I think it's fair to say half the teams in the league would trade their roster for ours."

It's just embarrassing.

It's embarrassing to you.

The General Manager of the team will probably have positive things to say about His Team.

I REALLY don't understand what's difficult about that understand. Seriously people, do you want an EMO GM in public?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

It's just embarrassing.

They didn't say that again did they? Please tell me they didn't.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Agreed. Keeping Petry and Schultz is going to be tough.

I think Petry is gone either way. Once they brought Fayne in, that signaled that Petry's days were numbered and with Klefbom and Nurse pushing even harder for roster spots next season, I don't see any way that Petry remains here.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I agree you have to put up points and that is key factor, but you can't be a defensive liability playing on the 2nd pairing.

Schultz would have to put up 50 points, play 27-30 minutes a night and play in all situations.

Not a chance - right now. That's the beauty of the word Potential.

The 'all situations' thing is hogwash anyway. Im too lazy to look the numbers up but I kind of doubt the Sens used Karlsson on the PK much. Play your players to their strengths.

Labamba

Too Much 4 CDC
Feb 26, 2013
Shuswap
I actually want the Oilers to be a good team, I miss the days when the NW teams were all great teams. A good Oiler team is good for hockey. Easily the best fans in the league.

I just really don't like this player, I think he is soft and selfish. I don't really think he is a guy you wanna build your D around.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I actually want the Oilers to be a good team, I miss the days when the NW teams were all great teams. A good Oiler team is good for hockey. Easily the best fans in the league.

I just really don't like this player, I think he is soft and selfish. I don't really think he is a guy you wanna build your D around.

He's also the only D we have with a hope offensively. Personally I'm hoping we see a bit of a resurgence in Nikitin's offensive game.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
It's embarrassing to you.

The General Manager of the team will probably have positive things to say about His Team.

I REALLY don't understand what's difficult about that understand. Seriously people, do you want an EMO GM in public?

No.. I want a GM who can establish a track record where he can get away with saying things like this. We have the longest streak of no playoffs in the league. We have been at the bottom of the standings since 2010. When you go out and make claims like "Schultz has Norris potential and I don't see anyone disagreeing with that" how can you even take him seriously?

Come on..

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta

If Justin Schultz played with Chara, in the East, he would be closer to the Norris Trophy then Krug will ever get.

If you honestly see Krug as a comparable for Schultz, you're being a bit dishonest about Schultz to be frank.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
I'm fine with a one-year "show me" deal.

Let him prove that he improved last year, certainly as a couple of people have mentioned, bringing in Ramsay is only going to help.

I do continue to wonder about Lowe & Mac T though - it sounds like it was Eakins who was the catalyst to bring in both Dellow and Ramsay.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
At least he'll be there at camp, hopefully next year we can lock him up long term.

ToeMcDrag83

5-14-6-1
Aug 25, 2010
Oil Country
Dollars to donuts, every time Schultz makes a mistake this season, some kind of Norris potential comment will be trending.

I like the deal. Show me what you got type contracts are always fun for witnessing what kind of drive the player really has.

Hope he has a great year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad