TSN: Justin Schultz - 3.675 / 1 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
We have 0 players left to sign and nobody of note available with approximately 4 million in space. Unless we are trading for big contract i think its irrelevant.

It's relevant when discussing any possible acquisitions, like a 2C at some point.

tempest2i

Jigsaw Falling Into Place
Oct 25, 2009
Cowtown
High TOI on the Oilers though that was more due to organizational ineptitude rather than Schultz actually proving to be a top-level defenceman.

It's probably worth noting here that J.Schultz and Petry led the team in TOI and were separated by 52 seconds last season. And both guys have an AAV that starts with a 3.

It's not the end of the world.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
It's relevant when discussing any possible acquisitions, like a 2C at some point.

If we are acquiring players via trade... i'm guessing we will be moving some money out as well.

I know its always possible to acquire players using our prospects and picks but usually if you get a player like a 2C your giving an NHL player/contract as well. So i'm not concerned.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I think a one year is pretty ballsy on Schultz's part. 82 games is not a long time to prove you are an allstar. Hope he does it. It will mean the Oil have a good PP and he's improved his OZ play.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
I guess we're paying Schultz more than he's worth, but we're only locked in for a year. Shows MacT wants results ASAP.

Weird deal though.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
It's not exactly a cap friendly deal for the team, but it's also not a home run for Schultz's camp either.

It's called a compromise, and given the situation it's a deal that makes sense for both sides.

Now to camp...it's almost here, can't wait! :handclap:

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
after this we should still have between 4-5 Million is space, thats alot of wiggle room during the season

That tightens up significantly if either of Yak or Draisaitl start hitting their bonus'.

As the Oilers' season is pretty dependent on how they fare, if the Oilers are a good team this year, they may be flirting with the cap. If they suck again, they'll probably have space.

I've got them currently at 4.2M cap space with 23 players signed, with 5.5M in potential bonus' (assuming I've pegged the appropriate players making the team). Using the bonus cushion of 7.5% they end up with about 3.9M in space but if they used it, without demoting at least Draisaitl or being certain that the bonus' won't be hit, they are facing some risk.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
That tightens up significantly if either of Yak or Draisaitl start hitting their bonus'.

As the Oilers' season is pretty dependent on how they fare, if the Oilers are a good team this year, they may be flirting with the cap. If they suck again, they'll probably have space.

I've got them currently at 4.2M cap space with 23 players signed, with 5.5M in potential bonus' (assuming I've pegged the appropriate players making the team). Using the bonus cushion of 7.5% they end up with about 3.9M in space but if they used it, without demoting at least Draisaitl or being certain that the bonus' won't be hit, they are facing some risk.

I don't think their bonuses count against this year's cap regardless.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
I don't think their bonuses count against this year's cap regardless.

Correct, this year is not the concern if bonus' are hit. It's next year. If we have the cap space this year to cover the bonus', they are covered by this year's space. If the Oilers go over due the cap to bonus', they are penalized that amount out of next year's cap. If all goes well, next year, they hope to be augmenting for a playoff run and as such any hit to next year's cap would be a bigger deal than accounting for it in this year's cap.

All in all, it's not a huge risk, but a risk nonetheless.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012

So what you're saying is, if the Oilers use all their cap space, they won't have any cap space left.:nod:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
fair deal from both sides, the last half of last season schultz showed definite improvement. he probably feels like with the addition of fayne, nikitin and the removal or garbagekov, potter, fraser, larsen etc etc he has a better chance to put up better numbers both offensively and defensively. smart play for one year. MacT wants him long term and this is the quickest way to get there. im not concerned with the cap, these things always find a way to work out, chicago and boston have been cap flirting for years. as long as the team is producing wins the cap is irrelevant.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
We actually are getting close to a cap team now.

well its about time we spent close to cap. Katz has been enjoying the ELC caphit number these past years to mask the lack of actual spending. We still have ~3M to try and upgrade a player for that number 2 C.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Schultz gonna get PAID after this season now that he finally have some coaching stability, a competent coach in Ramsay to help guide him and a bit more protection in the lineup with Fayne and Nikitin. I think it was a mistake to not get him locked up now but I guess we'll see.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Correct, this year is not the concern if bonus' are hit. It's next year. If we have the cap space this year to cover the bonus', they are covered by this year's space. If the Oilers go over due the cap to bonus', they are penalized that amount out of next year's cap. If all goes well, next year, they hope to be augmenting for a playoff run and as such any hit to next year's cap would be a bigger deal than accounting for it in this year's cap.

All in all, it's not a huge risk, but a risk nonetheless.

Not really, because there's almost a 0% chance there's a $69M cap next season.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Finally. I could care less about the dollar amount on a 1 year deal. Hopefully Schultz can prove himself deserving of the big raise he's looking for this season.

Now we'll see if MacT adds another C like Loktionov or if this is the team we're heading into camp with.

[MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007
Mac T:
"Schultz is a GREAT player " ???

Mac T:
"One of the greatest moments in franchise history"

Come on Maaaaaaaan

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Well its on Schultz to have a big year and demand bit long term bucks. Personally I wanted long term, but I don't know. I get the feeling Schultz is the kind of guy who might need the kick in the ass of a one year deal, kind of like Del Zotto.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Schultz gonna get PAID after this season now that he finally have some coaching stability, a competent coach in Ramsay to help guide him and a bit more protection in the lineup with Fayne and Nikitin. I think it was a mistake to not get him locked up now but I guess we'll see.

Agreed. Keeping Petry and Schultz is going to be tough.

bone

5-14-6-1
Jun 24, 2003
Edmonton
Visit site
Not really, because there's almost a 0% chance there's a $69M cap next season.

True. But by next year we will have almost fully phased out the real big rookie bonus contracts (assuming a non-top 3 pick in next year's draft and Leon excepted), so I'm sure the team wants to be ready to go all in and be a cap team and not worry about insuring themselves against potential bonus'.

If they have a couple million in penalties to pay off, it puts them at a slight disadvantage against the other teams spending to the cap. Minor still as it likely would only be a couple percentage points of the cap, but that may be all it would take to outbid another team on a free agent that could be willing to come.

Also, if Nail hits these bonus', he's looking at minimum $6M like the other golden boys. They need to be ready to absorb that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad