TSN: Justin Schultz - 3.675 / 1 year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
I think some people here get way too worked up by things MacT says in the media. So what if he's optimistic about the team and Schultz's potential? I judge him on his actions, not the things he says to the media in order to boost the ego of a player the team desperately wants to keep.

What should he say after signing this deal? "We like Schultz but don't see him as a top pairing guy. But he's our only option on the backend for a PP for now, so he'll have to do." Would that put people's minds at ease a bit more?

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
I think some people here get way too worked up by things MacT says in the media. So what if he's optimistic about the team and Schultz's potential? I judge him on his actions, not the things he says to the media in order to boost the ego of a player the team desperately wants to keep.

What should he say after signing this deal? "We like Schultz but don't see him as a top pairing guy. But he's our only option on the backend for a PP for now, so he'll have to do." Would that put people's minds at ease a bit more?

He could speak like a normal, professional GM and say something like "We really like Justin and see him as a player with a lot of potential". What's wrong with saying that?

Instead, he has to go the usual hyperbolic route that he did with all the BOLD talk and his buddy with all of his outlandish statements. What's wrong with toning it down every now and then?
Only Oilers management speaks so highly about a franchise and players that they have accomplished so little with as managers.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
He could speak like a normal, professional GM and say something like "We really like Justin and see him as a player with a lot of potential". What's wrong with saying that?

Instead, he has to go the usual hyperbolic route that he did with all the BOLD talk and his buddy with all of his outlandish statements. What's wrong with toning it down every now and then?
Only Oilers management speaks so highly about a franchise and players that they have accomplished so little with as managers.

Maybe he understands he need to be "open to risk" about giving the fans and media fodder to chew on and regurgitate

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB
Schultz is the most underrated player on this board IMO, his upside is huge.

I have no idea why every one is all over this kid. He makes some mistakes but you almost want that from a offensive D man. He got lit up last year, but, ya so did the whole dam team. If he can be paired with the right guy (love him and klef going forward) he will be dangerous.

Insta

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2005
Edmonton
Norris potential? lmao. Who says that? He might want to up his PPG/season from 1 first before we start talking about his Norris potential.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

Does it really matter? So long as MacT's actions are working towards bettering the team, I don't really care what he has to say in public. If it's hyperbolic or understating, it doesn't make a difference to me.

We have to remember, he's in the entertainment business and a good part of that is hype. Getting customers excited for the product. But maybe I am a bit jaded. I don't take business executives at their word in the media often, and entertainment executives even less so.

MacT's actions are what I judge him on and today he signed a key player and ensured it wasn't going to turn into a media circus when training camp started. He also got it done with enough time so he can turn his attention towards a 2/3C now that he knows how much cap space he has to work with. I count that all as a win in my books.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Slight overpay I guess, but it's basically where the QO was at, so I'm glad he's signed before camp.

if you think we over paid for a guy who is our default number 1 d-men--what do you think about the other contracts we gave out during tthe off season to guys who were healthy scratches last year on teams almost as bad as the oilers

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Maybe he understands he need to be "open to risk" about giving the fans and media fodder to chew on and regurgitate

It was stupid to make bold comments when you don't have the credentials or resources to back up such a statement.
It is now stupid and unnecessary to go on about how Schultz has Norris caliber abilities.
He was also under the delusion that the team was making big strides forward last season (lol) and has one of the best development systems in the league (lmfao).

Ultimately, it's not a big deal but it just displays the type of arrogance that he and the management team has. It's ok to have arrogance if you actually accomplished something but when you haven't accomplished anything in a management capacity and speak with such arrogance, it's a big turn off.

Does it really matter? So long as MacT's actions are working towards bettering the team, I don't really care what he has to say in public. If it's hyperbolic or understating, it doesn't make a difference to me.

We have to remember, he's in the entertainment business and a good part of that is hype. Getting customers excited for the product. But maybe I am a bit jaded. I don't take business executives at their word in the media often, and entertainment executives even less so.

MacT's actions are what I judge him on and today he signed a key player and ensured it wasn't going to turn into a media circus when training camp started. He also got it done with enough time so he can turn his attention towards a 2/3C now that he knows how much cap space he has to work with. I count that all as a win in my books.

The problem is that he makes it a circus when he makes the outlandish comments that he does. It also puts a ton of pressure on Schultz to perform at an absurdly high level.
There is hype then there is delusion and all of his comments (the ones I outlined in my reply to Jimmi) are filled with delusion.
I would actually be ok with these comments if he actually accomplished something. All he has done thus far is make a bad team worse.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
if you think we over paid for a guy who is our default number 1 d-men--what do you think about the other contracts we gave out during tthe off season to guys who were healthy scratches last year on teams almost as bad as the oilers

I'm stumped...Purcell? We didn't give him that contract. Nikitin? The Jackets are infinitely better than the Oilers. Pouliot? Weren't the Rangers in the final? Fayne? Doubt he was ever scratched.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I'm honestly suspecting that Mac-T is just trolling the fans and Media, because the pointless fervor it whips you into is hilarious (and a little annoying)

chris11inter

Jul 18, 2007
If Justin Schultz played with Chara, in the East, he would be closer to the Norris Trophy then Krug will ever get.

If you honestly see Krug as a comparable for Schultz, you're being a bit dishonest about Schultz to be frank.

All I'm saying is that it's not just points that determine a Norris Trophy winner. Points plays a big part of it, but there is more to a norris then just offensive production.

I would argue in the years he has been here, he has actualy made the players around him worse (or at least the dmen that have played with him). I don't think the same can be said for previous Norris Trophy winners.

My opinion on Shultz is that he can be a solid dman who will always be a 2/3 guy on a poor team, and 3/4 guy on a good team. Pretty hard to put that into Norris trophy thoughts.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
The problem is that he makes it a circus when he makes the outlandish comments that he does. It also puts a ton of pressure on Schultz to perform at an absurdly high level.
There is hype then there is delusion and all of his comments (the ones I outlined in my reply to Jimmi) are filled with delusion.
I would actually be ok with these comments if he actually accomplished something. All he has done thus far is make a bad team worse.

It's only a circus when fans turn it into one. And It'd argue that statements like half the teams in the league would trade their roster for ours or that Schultz has Norris potential aren't delusional. Just very optimistic. And do you really thing the team we have now is worse than the one MacT had when he took over? How do you justify that stance?

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007

I agree. Not many players can totally destroy the AHL in their 1st year of pro hockey. Yeah yeah, it's only the AHL but not many players have ever done what he did in year one.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
All I'm saying is that it's not just points that determine a Norris Trophy winner. Points plays a big part of it, but there is more to a norris then just offensive production.
You're right, just ask Erik Karlsson

I would argue in the years he has been here, he has actualy made the players around him worse (or at least the dmen that have played with him). I don't think the same can be said for previous Norris Trophy winners.
That's ridiculous and dumb frankly. He make Nick Schultz worse? FFS
My opinion on Schultz is that he can be a solid dman who will always be a 2/3 guy on a poor team, and 3/4 guy on a good team. Pretty hard to put that into Norris trophy thoughts.
First, corrected for you, second, ok then, so you've already written him off as a hockey player.

That doesn't mean his potential doesn't exist, you just have to deal with the fact it exist outside your frame of reference or view.

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
It's only a circus when fans turn it into one. And It'd argue that statements like half the teams in the league would trade their roster for ours or that Schultz has Norris potential aren't delusional. Just very optimistic. And do you really thing the team we have now is worse than the one MacT had when he took over? How do you justify that stance?

A worse record the previous year perhaps? The oilers front office can start talking when they achieve ANY tangible results. I totally agree with Cupofoil. These guys constantly talk as if we have done anything of note, even progressing but we haven't for YEARS!

Winners can talk losers should ****.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008

I agree with you that anything Mac says in public is really "mere puffery". Even things like "there isn't going to be a trade" doesn't mean he doesn't have several irons in the fire.

But when this organization is really the laughing stock of the league (and let's be honest, it is), why throw out tweetbait comments like "Norris trophy potential"?

At least leave that for when you sign him to a 7-year deal for $49 million or something.

The jury is out, both Jultz and Mac T admitted that, and it's a "show me" contract.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC

I'd say calling those statements "very optimistic" is being kind but to each their own.

Here's the thing s7ark. I'm looking at results and the only result under MacT's watch is probably the worst season that I've ever witnessed as an Oilers fan all things considered.

He has made some positive additions this offseason but then again, he made positive additions last offseason and Tambo made some additions that looked positive as well and we saw how those seasons turned out so i'll believe the team is better when I see the climb in the standings.
Until then, I think he should go about his business without making such outlandish proclamations. Then again, I'm just a lowly 25th tier fan so my opinion doesn't really matter.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
I'd say calling those statements "very optimistic" is being kind but to each their own.

Here's the thing s7ark. I'm looking at results and the only result under MacT's watch is probably the worst season that I've ever witnessed as an Oilers fan all things considered.

He has made some positive additions this offseason but then again, he made positive additions last offseason and Tambo made some additions that looked positive as well and we saw how those seasons turned out so i'll believe the team is better when I see the climb in the standings.
Until then, I think he should go about his business without making such outlandish proclamations. Then again, I'm just a lowly 25th tier fan so my opinion doesn't really matter.

Then you have a very short memory my friend.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Then you have a very short memory my friend.

Been a fan since '97 and can honestly say that last season was the most disappointing that i have experienced as an Oiler fan. Maybe the season before the Hall draft comes close but we all kind of knew that the Oilers were headed towards a dark period. Last season was supposed to be a step forward and it was over by Thanksgiving. Throw in the apathetic play of the players (a clearly unhappy group), the jersey throwing fiascos, the Yak situation and all the Eakins drama and it was an utter disaster.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

This.

He also the closest elite D-man to reaching his potential.

People talk about how great Klefbom could potentially be but he is years out from reaching it and so far has shown nothing compared to what Shultz has already. If Klefbom racks up 19 goals and 41 assists in his first 120 games I will be shocked to the core.

Moose Coleman

Apr 12, 2012
This.

He also the closest elite D-man to reaching his potential.

People talk about how great Klefbom could potentially be but he is years out from reaching it and so far has shown nothing compared to what Shultz has already. If Klefbom racks up 19 goals and 41 assists in his first 120 games I will be shocked to the core.

I haven't heard anyone talk about Klefbom as an elite defender. That being said, Schultz doesn't belong in the conversation at all either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad