Speculation: Justin Faulk?

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
You really don't think Toews can put up 60+ with Saad bouncing back? I get 70 -80- points is probably a distant memory, but Saad put up 35 points last year which almost 20 points lower than his average. If he gets back to normal Toews is easily at 60.

Saad’s down season isn’t the reason Toews has gone from a ~30 goal scorer to a ~20 goal scorer. So no, I don’t have much faith in this guy.

Something has changed in him, or we all overrated him/underrated Hossa from the beginning.

We used to think of Bergeron, Kopitar, and Toews all being in the same tier of player. Those two are clearly performing several notches above Toews.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Toews 82 game pace this year was 57 pts. 60 is certainly doable.

That said, his game needs to improve/rebound beyond just his offensive production.

Absolutely. Even if he hit 60 points this season, it doesn’t change the fact that he’s not playing like the player we thought he was.

60 points this season still doesn’t bring $10.5 million in value.

And we can’t blame his role for his offensive production, there are several other centers who are proving a two-way game can produce 70+ points while taking tough matchups.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Toews 82 game pace this year was 57 pts. 60 is certainly doable.

That said, his game needs to improve/rebound beyond just his offensive production.
I don’t know if I agree with that. His underlying numbers are back to elite levels he just needs to hit the back of the net along with his wings. His shooting % is the major problem along with Saad.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don’t know if I agree with that. His underlying numbers are back to elite levels he just needs to hit the back of the net along with his wings. His shooting % is the major problem along with Saad.

I know the corsi was really strong, but from watching him this year, his board work and back checking really seemed to be below what we have seen before.

But shooting percentage (him and Saad) would go along way. A functional PP would help too, dare to dream.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Saad’s down season isn’t the reason Toews has gone from a ~30 goal scorer to a ~20 goal scorer. So no, I don’t have much faith in this guy.

Something has changed in him, or we all overrated him/underrated Hossa from the beginning.

We used to think of Bergeron, Kopitar, and Toews all being in the same tier of player. Those two are clearly performing several notches above Toews.

Doesn't hurt that Bergeron is playing with Marchand and Pastrnak..JS

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL

This year, but the year before Toews out scored both of them. Things can change.

Edit: Random fact I found interesting

2016-17 Kopitar 8.0 sh% and Bergy 7.0%, both career lows
2017-2018 Kopitar 17.0% and Bergy 13.4% both career highs

Toews was a career low 9.5% in 2017-18. Here's hoping he has a similar correction coming this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: RememberTheRoar

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
This year, but the year before Toews out scored both of them. Things can change.

Edit: Random fact I found interesting

2016-17 Kopitar 8.0 sh% and Bergy 7.0%, both career lows
2017-2018 Kopitar 17.0% and Bergy 13.4% both career highs

Toews was a career low 9.5% in 2017-18. Here's hoping he has a similar correction coming this year.

I sure hope so, but many posters who know more than me have mentioned how it’s just not bad luck. They’ve said Toews shot looks weaker and more telegraphed than ever before

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Toews doesn’t do what Kruger did, he gets a hell of a lot more offensive zone starts. Also, Toews hasn’t been a 60 point player since 2014-2015.

I’m not saying Toews role isn’t valuable, I’m saying what he’s doing over the last three years is absolutely not worth $10.5 million.

Drop down your expectations to 45ish points (7 less than Toews) and you can have a center that matches up against top lines in Jordan Staal, and he only costs you $6 million.

Kopitar, Barkov, and Couturier all played a similar or harder role (Kopitar especially) than Toews did this year, and put up 76-92 points.

Toews is much closer to Jordan Staal at this point than those three.
Not to the extent Kruger did, but he is still playing against the other teams best players every night, and coming out on top at the end of the day.
No, he isn't worth 10.5mil, but good luck finding a palyer as good as Toews for 6mil. You won't. Is it really worth a big downgrade at C to save <4mil?
Give Toews decent linemates that can finish for an entire season and I guarantee he can put up 65pts.

You are assuming Staal will sign for 6mil on his next contract and sign it with the Hawks. More often than not, those players don't become available, and for good reason.

it will be a big hole, that won't be filled for a long time.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That’s definitely huge for Bergeron, he has his team’s two best offensive wingers playing with him.

But Kopitar and Couturier didn’t have that
Couturier had Giroux and Voracek/Konecky most of the year...?
And Kopitar had Brown who had a bounce back year and finished on his opportunities.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
You know what

I would rather Hawks brought in Cam Ward as a vet #2 then bring back Darling at partial salary retention

Ward at 2M for a year or two > Trading for Darling

Ward is not what he once was but I would feel far more comfortable with him in net then a guy like Forsberg

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Ward had a worse save percentage than Forsberg last season on a better team (season before that as well). Forsberg over Ward at 2M all day everyday.

Not saying Forsberg is the answer but he at least has the potential at this point. Ward is just not that good at this point.

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Not to the extent Kruger did, but he is still playing against the other teams best players every night, and coming out on top at the end of the day.
No, he isn't worth 10.5mil, but good luck finding a palyer as good as Toews for 6mil. You won't. Is it really worth a big downgrade at C to save <4mil?
Give Toews decent linemates that can finish for an entire season and I guarantee he can put up 65pts.

You are assuming Staal will sign for 6mil on his next contract and sign it with the Hawks. More often than not, those players don't become available, and for good reason.

it will be a big hole, that won't be filled for a long time.

Exactly, if Toews had Kane and Dcat (comparable to what Bergeron has) his points total will go up and 65pts maybe higher is not out of the question

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Ward had a worse save percentage than Forsberg last season on a better team (season before that as well). Forsberg over Ward at 2M all day everyday.

Not saying Forsberg is the answer but he at least has the potential at this point. Ward is just not that good at this point.

Canes team was poorly coached and D struggled most of year

Ward was not greatest but some of the problems in Carolina are not on goalies though they pay price. And Ward > Forsberg any day

Forsberg Huet moments occurred far too often and he cant be relied on to be our backup

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I can’t believe we’re actually talking about bringing in Ward. He’s hit a .910% once in the last 6 years. He’s really only had a few good seasons in his entire career.

Even though I’m not crazy about Forsberg, I’d much rather stick with the young guy with potential than sign a 34 year old that you know will be mediocre at best.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

Ward was not greatest but some of the problems in Carolina are not on goalies though they pay price. And Ward > Forsberg any day

Forsberg Huet moments occurred far too often and he cant be relied on to be our backup

The Hawks were coach much worse and were far worse defensively.

How can you say the issues are not on the goalies in Carolina? They were brutal.

As inconsistent as Forsberg was last season he was still better than Ward on a worse team. This is a fact, check the stats.

When Forsberg started to get consistent playing time he started to become more consistent...shocker. Q handled our goalies last season as well as colander holds water.

Reactions: LordKOTL

goldenbladz1

Feb 11, 2015
Has anyone heard or read anything on Ivan Nalimov? if Crawford isn't ready to play is he an option to bring over if the number 1 is available. wasn't his KHL contract voided.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

I don't know how somebody who railed against Stan so hard for not having an adequate backup last year is offering up Cam Ward as our backup when we don't know what's going on with Crawford.

Reactions: Blue Liner

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Ward for all his flaws is a better goalie then Forsberg

How anyone can support Forsberg coming back when he looked Huet like most of season is odd

Except the facts show that Forsberg was better last season.

People can support Forsberg over Ward because he was statistically better and when he was given consistent playing time his play improved.

Ward saw less shots on consistent basis and his D was MUCH better.

You are blatantly wrong on this.

Enrico Ciccone

May 7, 2018
Canada
Why are people so quick to sell Saad?
No idea. It would be a classic peter chiarelli move if they did Saad for Faulk. Hey, I'm as big a fan of mediocre at best offensive defensemen who struggle defensively, as the next guy....but good lord not for Saad.

Now rumours of the Hawks open to trading the 8th pick. Now my excitement for the draft is turning into fear. I feel like an Oilers fan.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
No idea. It would be a classic peter chiarelli move if they did Saad for Faulk. Hey, I'm as big a fan of mediocre at best offensive defensemen who struggle defensively, as the next guy....but good lord not for Saad.

Now rumours of the Hawks open to trading the 8th pick. Now my excitement for the draft is turning into fear. I feel like an Oilers fan.
Almost every team in the top 10 says they’re open to the idea of moving their pick. Very rarely do the picks ever get moved. The thought process is probably “if someone is willing to deal us a top pairing defender then the 8th is available”, as it probably should be for a top pairing defender.

I mean I’m pretty sure the canes have said they’re open to trading 2OA this year. Does anyone really believe that’s going to happen short of a MASSIVE overpayment?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad