Speculation: Justin Faulk?

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
I definitely get it. :)

That entire situation is goofy as shit anyways, so I can't fault someone for not getting it. I understand why they do it, to keep the CHL competitive, and keep it from losing all its talent. Still goofy, though, with all the rules and things surrounding it.

Good to know he's AHL eligible.

He is still awaiting 100% confirmation about this.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Not really on board with a Faulk for Saad base. Saad was pretty snakebitten last year. I'd bet about anything on a bounceback year from him.

With TT or the 2nd coming back like proposed it probably changes things but I don't see the Canes moving either of those pieces short of an overpay.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
Saad +Hossa+ Hino + 27th for Faulk + Skinner

Sign De Haan @ 4 mil per year
Draft Tkachuk

Tkachuk-Schmaltz-Kane
Debrincat-Toews-Skinner
Hayden-Anisimov-Sikura
Kahun-Kampf-Edjsell
Martinson

Keith-Faulk
DeHaan-Murphy
Forsling-Rutta
Seabrook

Crawford
Forsberg

This team has about 4 mil in cap...if you dont get tkachuk in the draft go get a capable winger for 4 mil or so in free agency. Yes i know pipe dream

Last edited:

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Back to Faulk...I would like him as a Hawk, but I don't love him enough to go crazy on what it cost to get him. He has enough defensive flaws, that I don't consider him a top pairing guy on a legit contender. He is a nice top 4 that will help the PP. Pence is already better then Faulk on Carolina (a non playoff Carolina). Teuvo ain't coming even if you are including Saad. He has the whole Finish connection thing with Aho going on and is on a nice deal another year before Carolina has to open the wallet. A wing you MIGHT be able to pry out of Carolina by including Saad is Skinner....if the Canes realize he will not resign or that they are not interested in his price (I assume that is the case and why there is trade speculation surrounding Skinner). Saad would give the Canes a similar player for 3 season and Saad is likely a decent chunk cheaper then Skinner is for year 2 and 3 once Skinner signs an extension. I think Skinner is a slightly better player then Saad, but Saad's contract and term tip the scale toward him being a better current asset.

Saad, Murphy, #27 OA for Faulk & Skinner is a fair deal. Again Skinner for Saad is a slight advantage to the Canes based on signability & Saad's current contract. Murphy gives them a top 4 signed for a million a year less then Faulk and 2 years longer. 27OA in a good draft should end up as a solid future piece. I could maybe be talked into a conditional pick based on if Skinner resigns with us.

Last edited:

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Scott Powers, who covers the Chicago Blackhawks for The Athletic, reported this week that D Henri Jokiharju may not be back with the Portland Winterhawks for a third
portland.png
season. Jokiharju has been on loan to the Winterhawks from his Finnish team, Tappara, so is eligible to play next season in the AHL. The Blackhawks, who have yet to sign Jokiharju, selected him in the first round, 29th overall, of the NHL’s 2017 draft. . . . The last time something like this happened involving a WHL team it was in the fall of 2014 and the Swift Current Broncos lost D Julius Honka. He had been loaned to them by his Finnish team, JYP, so moved onto the AHL after one season with the Broncos. The Dallas Stars picked him 14th overall in the NHL’s 2014 draft and he played the next three seasons with their AHL affiliate, the Texas Stars. He got into 16 games with Dallas in 2016-17 and had a goal and three assists in 42 games there this season

Powers is a very good beat reporter. I recently subscribed to The Athletic and his recent Hawks articles have been way better than the guano the Trib is spewing.

Reactions: Blue Liner

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Powers is a very good beat reporter. I recently subscribed to The Athletic and his recent Hawks articles have been way better than the guano the Trib is spewing.
Yeah the Athletic is great, glad I bought a subscription. I have a lot of respect for Powers because he does his own homework and isn't a rumor monger. He's also a great twitter follow too because he goes and watches a lot of Hawks prospects live and posts videos completely keying in on the Hawks prospects entire shift.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I like that Bowman is going after guys like Faulk, is interested in signing Tavares. Bowman is not accepting last Season.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I like that Bowman is going after guys like Faulk, is interested in signing Tavares. Bowman is not accepting last Season.

Accepting last season is tantamount to surrendering his post. Bowman is definitely going to be making moves. Here's hoping they work. Myriad options available. Most interesting offseason in years.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner

Every GM is interested in signing him, it’s only realistic for the Hawks if Toews is traded.

The move should be Toews for Faulk+, then sign Tavares. I’d even be willing to take back Staal, and use him as an overpaid third-line center if the Canes wanted to move that contract.

Saad had one bad year with a shit shooting percentage, but good underlying numbers that point to a bounce back.

Swapping out Toews for Tavares alone could make a huge difference. Add in you’re getting a 1RHD in the process, it makes it even more impactful.

Last edited:

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Trading Toews leaves a massive hole that won't be fixed for years. Who is going to take the tough matchups and come out on top offensively?
Schmaltz? Tavares? Anisimov? No.

Reactions: goldenbladz1

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Trading Toews leaves a massive hole that won't be fixed for years. Who is going to take the tough matchups and come out on top offensively?
Schmaltz? Tavares? Anisimov? No.

A third or fourth line center? We found a guy in Marcus Kruger who did that at 1/10th of the cost of Toews.

If you’re really concerned about that, try to bring Staal back, he could play that role for $4.5 million less than Toews.

You don’t necessarily need your number 1 center playing that role.

It was great when Toews played that role and put up nearly 70 points — but when you can only point to his ability to be matched up with top lines as his value to the team, it’s a sign he’s not worth $10.5 million.

Spending that 10.5 on a top-pairing D, and using the rest to put toward an 85-100 point Tavares is much more beneficial.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
A third or fourth line center? We found a guy in Marcus Kruger who did that at 1/10th of the cost of Toews.

If you’re really concerned about that, try to bring Staal back, he could play that role for $4.5 million less than Toews.

You don’t necessarily need your number 1 center playing that role.

It was great when Toews played that role and put up nearly 70 points — but when you can only point to his ability to be matched up with top lines as his value to the team, it’s a sign he’s not worth $10.5 million.

Spending that 10.5 on a top-pairing D, and using the rest to put toward an 85-100 point Tavares is much more beneficial.
LOL @ comparing marcus Krugers role to Toews' role.

Toews does what Kruger did, except he puts up 50-60pts a year doing it.

It's a hole that won't be replaced anytime soon.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
LOL @ comparing marcus Krugers role to Toews' role.

Toews does what Kruger did, except he puts up 50-60pts a year doing it.

It's a hole that won't be replaced anytime soon.

Toews doesn’t do what Kruger did, he gets a hell of a lot more offensive zone starts. Also, Toews hasn’t been a 60 point player since 2014-2015.

I’m not saying Toews role isn’t valuable, I’m saying what he’s doing over the last three years is absolutely not worth $10.5 million.

Drop down your expectations to 45ish points (7 less than Toews) and you can have a center that matches up against top lines in Jordan Staal, and he only costs you $6 million.

Kopitar, Barkov, and Couturier all played a similar or harder role (Kopitar especially) than Toews did this year, and put up 76-92 points.

Toews is much closer to Jordan Staal at this point than those three.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
You can say that without making a ridiculous comparison to Kruger.

I wasn’t making a comparison between Toews and Kruger offensively. He asked who matches up against and shuts down top lines, I said we had a guy in Kruger who was effective in shutting down top lines. I never said Kruger put up points like Toews.

When you have two really good offensive top lines, you have your third or fourth line center play that role. You don’t need your 1C playing a shutdown role. Not sure what’s controversial about saying that.

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Dealing Saad for Faulk is not a good idea unless seabeook is part of the deal..,,

Reactions: BK

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
Moving Saad for Faulk almost seems like a lateral move to me, even though one is obviously as a forward and the other a defenseman.

Saad will be gine, if anything I’m glad he had hopefully his worst season this year since it was a lost cause anyway.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
No clue. I feel like we should have a lot more faith in Saad bouncing back than we should for Toews becoming a 60+ point center again.
You really don't think Toews can put up 60+ with Saad bouncing back? I get 70 -80- points is probably a distant memory, but Saad put up 35 points last year which almost 20 points lower than his average. If he gets back to normal Toews is easily at 60.

Reactions: b1e9a8r5s

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
Faulk ........... no thanks ... rather have Saad

Faulk has size and is an offensive d man

but c'mon ... a -109 in 477 career games

thats a swiss cheese dman

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
You really don't think Toews can put up 60+ with Saad bouncing back? I get 70 -80- points is probably a distant memory, but Saad put up 35 points last year which almost 20 points lower than his average. If he gets back to normal Toews is easily at 60.

Toews 82 game pace this year was 57 pts. 60 is certainly doable.

That said, his game needs to improve/rebound beyond just his offensive production.

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad