Speculation: Justin Faulk?

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I prefer to keep Rutta over Murphy, so ideally its Anisimov+Murphy+27th going out for Faulk+Darling+pick

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I don't want to see Murphy or Rutta go. I think both can be good in their roles and both can be 2nd Pairing RHD. The Problem for me is Seabrook.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
Faulk would be nice but the way he plays coach Q would simply neuter him anyway and get him to play to his weaknesses and not his strengths.

dougd

Jul 20, 2002
fortmcmurray ab can
I prefer to keep Rutta over Murphy, so ideally its Anisimov+Murphy+27th going out for Faulk+Darling+pick

Faulk IMO, is overvalued
Not a lot of speed, average defender but granted, good passer and heady on PP.
Murphy has a lot more physicality, better defensive coverage and has some more offensive growth to come, albeit not much.
Anisimov and 27 is more than enough for Faulk and if Darling is included with at least 40-50 retention, would include either From or Soderlund.
The whole point of seeking Faulk is to improve PP in the here and now but to me, a revamp with a new PP coach would go a long way for improvement without spending valuable assets on someone who may help improve it marginally, but be average inother aspects of his game.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Faulk IMO, is overvalued
Not a lot of speed, average defender but granted, good passer and heady on PP.
Murphy has a lot more physicality, better defensive coverage and has some more offensive growth to come, albeit not much.
Anisimov and 27 is more than enough for Faulk and if Darling is included with at least 40-50 retention, would include either From or Soderlund.
The whole point of seeking Faulk is to improve PP in the here and now but to me, a revamp with a new PP coach would go a long way for improvement without spending valuable assets on someone who may help improve it marginally, but be average inother aspects of his game.

He is actually a good skater. I agree is leaves a lot to be desired as a defender.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
I’d keep Soderlund. Probably their best forward prospect atm. I prefer Rutta to Murphy because of three things 1.) Rutta is cheaper and has less term, will be off books by the time Joker and Mitchell are ready, Murphy would not be 2) less likely to result in bad use of cap space because Q likes him more than Murphy, so there is less chance of near 4m cap hit getting third pair minutes. 3.) Rutta is a similar player to Murphy imo. Rutta has a better shot, both are solid skaters for their size and both play physical when needed. Both can play the PK.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
TT is wishful thinking IMO.

If they are doing it, I would hope for:
Saad, Hossa, #8 + #27 for Faulk, Darling, #2, #42

But don't feel like trading Saad for Faulk is that great of an idea.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
TT is wishful thinking IMO.

If they are doing it, I would hope for:
Saad, Hossa, #8 + #27 for Faulk, Darling, #2, #42

But don't feel like trading Saad for Faulk is that great of an idea.

I was being sarcastic more than anything.

I would 100% do your trade.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
apparently Laz thinks Joker isn't AHL eligible??

he says if he doesn't make the NHL full-time, he can be sent back to juniors prior to game #10 in the NHL...hmmm, this one has always confused me...

Joker is only 18, so he looks to fall into the "20 year old player" rule of the CHL/NHL. That any player under the age of 20 who doesn't stick in the NHL has to be sent back down to their CHL team unless they're 20 by December 31st of the current season, or they have 4 years of junior eligibility completed already, I believe. That's why Cat was AHL eligible last year. He was 20 on December 18th, prior to the December 31st cutoff.

Joker would either play in Chicago, or go back to Portland this season, as he'll only be turning 19 in June. So next year he'd be AHL eligible.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Joker is only 18, so he looks to fall into the "20 year old player" rule of the CHL/NHL. That any player under the age of 20 who doesn't stick in the NHL has to be sent back down to their CHL team unless they're 20 by December 31st of the current season, or they have 4 years of junior eligibility completed already, I believe. That's why Cat was AHL eligible last year. He was 20 on December 18th, prior to the December 31st cutoff.

Joker would either play in Chicago, or go back to Portland.

The reason he can play in the A is that he was on loan to Portland.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
He was on loan from a Euro team (at least that is my understanding of the situation).

"The Chicago Blackhawks selected defenseman Henri Jokiharju of the WHL’s Portland Winterhawks with the No. 29 overall pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft amid cheers from the crowd at the United Center on Friday night."

He was originally part of Tappara's U18 and U20 teams in 15-16. He then went to play for Portland in his draft-eligible year, 16-17. Haven't found anything about him being on loan at all. I don't think he's AHL eligible this season... It's Hawks or Portland, and then AHL or NHL eligible once his junior season is over. And then next season, 19-20 he'll be NHL/AHL eligible, and wouldn't have to go back to Portland, as he would be 20 in June next summer.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
"The Chicago Blackhawks selected defenseman Henri Jokiharju of the WHL’s Portland Winterhawks with the No. 29 overall pick in the 2017 NHL Entry Draft amid cheers from the crowd at the United Center on Friday night."

He was originally part of Tappara's U18 and U20 teams in 15-16. He then went to play for Portland in his draft-eligible year, 16-17. Haven't found anything about him being on loan at all. I don't think he's AHL eligible this season... It's Hawks or Portland, and then AHL or NHL eligible once his junior season is over. And then next season, 19-20 he'll be NHL/AHL eligible, and wouldn't have to go back to Portland, as he would be 20 in June next summer.
Scott Powers, who covers the Chicago Blackhawks for The Athletic, reported this week that D Henri Jokiharju may not be back with the Portland Winterhawks for a third
portland.png
season. Jokiharju has been on loan to the Winterhawks from his Finnish team, Tappara, so is eligible to play next season in the AHL. The Blackhawks, who have yet to sign Jokiharju, selected him in the first round, 29th overall, of the NHL’s 2017 draft. . . . The last time something like this happened involving a WHL team it was in the fall of 2014 and the Swift Current Broncos lost D Julius Honka. He had been loaned to them by his Finnish team, JYP, so moved onto the AHL after one season with the Broncos. The Dallas Stars picked him 14th overall in the NHL’s 2014 draft and he played the next three seasons with their AHL affiliate, the Texas Stars. He got into 16 games with Dallas in 2016-17 and had a goal and three assists in 42 games there this season

Reactions: ChiHawks10 and BK

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Scott Powers, who covers the Chicago Blackhawks for The Athletic, reported this week that D Henri Jokiharju may not be back with the Portland Winterhawks for a third
portland.png
season. Jokiharju has been on loan to the Winterhawks from his Finnish team, Tappara, so is eligible to play next season in the AHL. The Blackhawks, who have yet to sign Jokiharju, selected him in the first round, 29th overall, of the NHL’s 2017 draft. . . . The last time something like this happened involving a WHL team it was in the fall of 2014 and the Swift Current Broncos lost D Julius Honka. He had been loaned to them by his Finnish team, JYP, so moved onto the AHL after one season with the Broncos. The Dallas Stars picked him 14th overall in the NHL’s 2014 draft and he played the next three seasons with their AHL affiliate, the Texas Stars. He got into 16 games with Dallas in 2016-17 and had a goal and three assists in 42 games there this season

Thanks. Hadn't been able to find anything saying he was on loan to the Winterhawks from Tappara. :thumbu:

So yeah, then he's AHL eligible, and doesn't have to go back down to Portland.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

It's murky though because he was selected by Portland in the Import Draft, not the regular draft. They signed him but he may still have been technically "on loan" from his European club as is often the case with European/Russian players who come over via the Import Draft.

It may not apply to this case, but it's worth nothing that the rule is a little more nuanced than just "if you're in the CHL you can't play in the AHL until you're 20." It's only if you were drafted by an NHL team while being on a CHL roster. I think you get this, but many people seem to think it's just any CHL player can't play until 20 so that's not entirely true.

In Jokiharju's case, he clearly was on Portland's roster when drafted, but there's still some gray area about the whole loan thing and whether that changes his status or not. Powers is the only one I've seen state this, so I'd be curious to know where he heard it from. I may try to look into that.

EDIT: Dammit, like four posts about this happened int he time I was typing this out! Assuming this is true, once again showing Powers is the best hockey coverage in Chicago. Not one other beat has said this, with Laz today even saying he isn't AHL-eligible yet.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
It's murky though because he was selected by Portland in the Import Draft, not the regular draft. They signed him but he may still have been technically "on loan" from his European club as is often the case with European/Russian players who come over via the Import Draft.

It may not apply to this case, but it's worth nothing that the rule is a little more nuanced than just "if you're in the CHL you can't play in the AHL until you're 20." It's only if you were drafted by an NHL team while being on a CHL roster. I think you get this, but many people seem to think it's just any CHL player can't play until 20 so that's not entirely true.

In Jokiharju's case, he clearly was on Portland's roster when drafted, but there's still some gray area about the whole loan thing and whether that changes his status or not. Powers is the only one I've seen state this, so I'd be curious to know where he heard it from. I may try to look into that.

EDIT: Dammit, like four posts about this happened int he time I was typing this out! Assuming this is true, once again showing Powers is the best hockey coverage in Chicago. Not one other beat has said this, with Laz today even saying he isn't AHL-eligible yet.

I definitely get it. :)

That entire situation is goofy as shit anyways, so I can't fault someone for not getting it. I understand why they do it, to keep the CHL competitive, and keep it from losing all its talent. Still goofy, though, with all the rules and things surrounding it.

Good to know he's AHL eligible.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad