Speculation: Justin Faulk?

Enrico Ciccone

May 7, 2018
Canada
This might sound dumb, but it is an honest question. What, aside from a much larger contract, is the difference between Justin Faulk and say, Jordan Oesterle?

Every time I have watched Faulk I expect to see a decent defenceman and am completely disappointed. He is billed as an effective offensive defence man but even that part of his game is underwhelming. He could be be the second coming of David Rundblad defensively.

Toews2Bickell

It's Showtime
Nov 24, 2013
Comparing him to Oestlerle/Rundblad is a serious stretch. The guy played for team USA multiple times at the Olympics and at one point was drawing some comparison to Drew Doughty iirc. Oesterle and Rundblad are, were and have always been fringe NHL players.

Enrico Ciccone

May 7, 2018
Canada
Comparing him to Oestlerle/Rundblad is a serious stretch. The guy played for team USA multiple times at the Olympics and at one point was drawing some comparison to Drew Doughty iirc. Oesterle and Rundblad are, were and have always been fringe NHL players.
Faulk is certainly a household name and has played at a higher level in his career that the two I mentioned (Rundblad was a major stretch for effect, I’ll give you that), but the last two seasons for Faulk have simply been terrible. Has it been a level of disinterest on his part due to Carolina being bad? Maybe. But realistically how long will it take him to be in Q’s doghouse? Because every time I see him and also what I’ve read, he gets lost defensively. IMO the stretch is giving up a 1st and or good forward for him.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
+- is a bad stat we all know that. He’s played a bad team getting average goaltending his entire career. That said he’s slightly overrated PP scoring D that isn’t the best in his own zone. If we give up Saad for him and take back Darling, I’m officially on the clean house band wagon. That’s a terrible trade.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
The bonus for acquiring him would be he’s playing for a new contract in two years so he will have motivation.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
And Faulk will magically save MR.-29?No way...only Keith can save himself by actually wanting it again ..

Faulk will not do anything g but post another -29 along side a Keith who mails it in like last season.

Now if instead we got a guy who could actually defense like Calvin DeHaan..that would be entirely different. .but he is a LD ....and that cannot help bail out a listless and decline in Keith..Faulk ads RD would not help fix the defending part either.

Secondly he is on contract...would cost us either a prospect asset (what if Carolina demanded Jokiharju back...or Hinostrozza and a 2019 3rd...or worse a 2019 1st?)...I for one do not want to give anymore 2019 picks away ...too good a draft ..we already have up our 5th..do not want especially any of our top 3 picks involved let alone Jokiharju just for a guy who cannot defend anything and at a high cost in pay and assets back. FORGET HIM...do not do it,Stan.

Rather go the Ufa route..

Last edited:
Reactions: Rolo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad