Speculation: Justin Faulk?

Enrico Ciccone

May 7, 2018
Canada
Almost every team in the top 10 says they’re open to the idea of moving their pick. Very rarely do the picks ever get moved. The thought process is probably “if someone is willing to deal us a top pairing defender then the 8th is available”, as it probably should be for a top pairing defender.

I mean I’m pretty sure the canes have said they’re open to trading 2OA this year. Does anyone really believe that’s going to happen short of a MASSIVE overpayment?
True. Probably mostly smoke screens from everyone this time of year. I'm just scared McD and his "make a splash" PR train has his hands in this.

BobbyJet

I am Canadian
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
You know what

I would rather Hawks brought in Cam Ward as a vet #2 then bring back Darling at partial salary retention

Ward at 2M for a year or two > Trading for Darling

Ward is not what he once was but I would feel far more comfortable with him in net then a guy like Forsberg

That is, assuming 25-year-old Forsberg with less than 50 NHL games under his belt doesn't improve and 34 year-old Ward can repeat last seasons performance. Neither is even close to being a guarantee.

.... and we've all seen how good Darling can be. Last season was an anomaly, IMO. He's better than both Ward and Forsberg.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That is, assuming 25-year-old Forsberg with less than 50 NHL games under his belt doesn't improve and 34 year-old Ward can repeat last seasons performance. Neither is even close to being a guarantee.

.... and we've all seen how good Darling can be. Last season was an anomaly, IMO. He's better than both Ward and Forsberg.
And Crawford, right? ...lol

Reactions: LordKOTL

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Hawks are not moving the 8th overall pick, unless they absolutely got floored by an offer...

And if we look in between the lines, moving the 8th pick doesn't mean back or completely gone, the "right situation" could be moving up...IMO, Bowman is either moving up using #27 as bait in a bigger package, or drafts right there at 8...moving that pick for a proven player right now seems pretty stupid when we have a good shot at landing a couple of quality free agents (Moore, JVR, Riley Nash...whoever)..

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Hawks are not moving the 8th overall pick, unless they absolutely got floored by an offer...

And if we look in between the lines, moving the 8th pick doesn't mean back or completely gone, the "right situation" could be moving up...IMO, Bowman is either moving up using #27 as bait in a bigger package, or drafts right there at 8...moving that pick for a proven player right now seems pretty stupid when we have a good shot at landing a couple of quality free agents (Moore, JVR, Riley Nash...whoever)..

None of those guys are on the level of what you could potentially get by moving the 8 though.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
None of those guys are on the level of what you could potentially get by moving the 8 though.
we have no clue what you "could" potentially get, and though I understand that what you could get is likely better than the names listed, I doubt it would be significantly better. My point was, we have the ability for the first time in years to be at least a semi-decent player in the FA market this year, why trade away what is likely to be a blue chip player for the next 10 years when we can keep that pick, and add through FA?? for me, it is almost the best of both worlds, draft a Wahlstrom, Dobson, Hughes, whoever...then land a Moore, Nash, Stastny - and this team has completely changed around for the current and future outside of coaching.

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
we have no clue what you "could" potentially get, and though I understand that what you could get is likely better than the names listed, I doubt it would be significantly better. My point was, we have the ability for the first time in years to be at least a semi-decent player in the FA market this year, why trade away what is likely to be a blue chip player for the next 10 years when we can keep that pick, and add through FA?? for me, it is almost the best of both worlds, draft a Wahlstrom, Dobson, Hughes, whoever...then land a Moore, Nash, Stastny - and this team has completely changed around for the current and future outside of coaching.

If you’re not getting someone significantly better than the names you listed, you absolutely keep the 8 and draft that blue chipper.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Why are people so quick to sell Saad?
While in all rights Saad should and better damned well have a bounceback year...he's also the only high-priced deal we have without and trade clause whatsoever.

I agree that it would be dumb to sell him low, but if any McDonut splash hinges on a high priced player being moved and none of the deep core waives or their chosen destinations work, Saad might be the odd-one out.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
If you’re not getting someone significantly better than the names you listed, you absolutely keep the 8 and draft that blue chipper.
Yep, unless we move up, I simply do not want to even hear about trading this pick...we need skilled ELC players for the next 5-7 years until some of our bigger contracts fade out...move up or shut up lol!!!

Reactions: RememberTheRoar

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Firmly on the fence on Faulk, lol. There are obvious pros and our D obviously needs help. That said, the fit isn't optimal and Carolina probably wants too much. As a bridge the gap ('til Joker and/or Mitchell) are ready for top 4 duty, I can see the rationale for acquiring him.

Then again, pairing Murphy with Keith could work. Tough call.

Reactions: Melrose Munch

RememberTheRoar

Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
Firmly on the fence on Faulk, lol. There are obvious pros and our D obviously needs help. That said, the fit isn't optimal and Carolina probably wants too much. As a bridge the gap ('til Joker and/or Mitchell) are ready for top 4 duty, I can see the rationale for acquiring him.

Then again, pairing Murphy with Keith could work. Tough call.

Doesn’t Mike Green make that most sense as a guy to bridge the gap? He’s apparently looking for a deal with a couple years, and only costs us money, not roster pieces.

He’s not as good as Faulk, but he’s still an NHL defenseman with offensive ability.

Reactions: Kaners PPGs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad