Prospect Info: Justin Bailey (2013, 52nd) – '17-18: Rochester #95 (AHL)

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Agreed. Bailey is probably scoring line or bust (or a crash and bang 4th line I suppose). If we're talking prospects with a legitimate shot as panning out as legit checking line wingers, the list pretty much starts and ends with Baptise.

Edit: And carrier too, I guess

Well, Fasching. He has the upside to be more than that, but I think it's a pretty safe bet Fasching can at least be a good checking line forward, and perhaps a good PKer.

Bailey's tear at the end of the year made him a hell of a lot more interesting. Size, speed, and skill is never a bad combination of attributes. I can't wait until he and some of our other forward prospects are ready to replace some of the dead weight we've got on the roster full time.

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
Who is Domingo?

I'm not sure Bailey has the defensive chomps to play on Larsson's line. He's an offensive power forward with speed.

Well there you have it. Just finished his rookie AHL season, but will never have the defensive ability to play with the great Johan Larsson. :laugh:

stokes84

Jun 30, 2008
Charleston, SC
That's a pretty disingenuous reading just so you can take a potshot

You're right. It should have been directed at this gem:

Agreed. Bailey is probably scoring line or bust (or a crash and bang 4th line I suppose). If we're talking prospects with a legitimate shot as panning out as legit checking line wingers, the list pretty much starts and ends with Baptise.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Well there you have it. Just finished his rookie AHL season, but will never have the defensive ability to play with the great Johan Larsson. :laugh:

Take a step away from your obsession with bashing Larsson. Its about his line and how it was used (as a checking line). You can also save the silly hyperbole. I didnt say anything about Bailey never being able to do something. I'm talking about 1 year from now. If Gionta is gone after this coming season, I'd be surprised if Bailey's defensive game grew enough over the next season to make sense on that line in place of Gionta.

EDIT: Thats assuming of course we still have a 3rd line constructed as we ended the season with and used the same way.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Take a step away from your obsession with bashing Larsson. Its about his line and how it was used (as a checking line). You can also save the silly hyperbole. I didnt say anything about Bailey never being able to do something. I'm talking about 1 year from now. If Gionta is gone after this coming season, I'd be surprised if Bailey's defensive game grew enough over the next season to make sense on that line in place of Gionta.

EDIT: Thats assuming of course we still have a 3rd line constructed as we ended the season with and used the same way.

When you think that being good defensively is just about effort it clouds your perception of posts about checking lines

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
When you think that being good defensively is just about effort it clouds your perception of posts about checking lines

This line of thinking is on the path to being primarily obsolete. As these past 11 years have gone by, it's become clear the Cup contenders kill it with speed across most lines. A traditional "checking line" has morphed into a hybrid of checking combined with transition speed and more offensive chip in then at any time I can remember.

That trend will continue I suspect.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
This line of thinking is on the path to being primarily obsolete. As these past 11 years have gone by, it's become clear the Cup contenders kill it with speed across most lines. A traditional "checking line" has morphed into a hybrid of checking combined with transition speed and more offensive chip in then at any time I can remember.

The 3rd line is the same thing it's been for some time now. That being whatever fits a particular teams system and personnel best. Some teams have an offensive line, some use it as checking line and some a mix of both.

Unless Disco changes from his conservative defensive approach or he's canned. Our 3rd line will likely be a checking line.

Btw, Husko is talking about posters that don't understand what good defensive play is.

Last edited:

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011

What about Dupuy? I thought he was seen as a good defensive forward?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Well, Fasching. He has the upside to be more than that, but I think it's a pretty safe bet Fasching can at least be a good checking line forward, and perhaps a good PKer.

Certainly hope so. From my viewings he laid an egg with the national team.

Shmuffalo

Brad May's Stand In
Feb 13, 2008
New York
Certainly hope so. From my viewings he laid an egg with the national team.

I agree, but to his defense, he just came off an NHL training camp, a full NCAA year, and his debut in the NHL. It's not like he had a quiet year. He's owed some slack for his mediocre performance.

ottawah

Jan 7, 2011
What about Dupuy? I thought he was seen as a good defensive forward?

At the OHL level. Probably at the AHL level. The NHL level is yet to be determined. He'll have to be an elite defensive forward at the OHL level before he would be considered an above average guy at the NHL level. But he does appear to be a late bloomer, so there is that going for him.

Generally it is the top end of the offensive players who become the defensive stars at the next level. You never see their D at the lower levels because they are too valuable scoring.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Bailey has skills that would allow him to be a good role player if the offensive side isn't his only ability. Size and speed can translate into many things, and at this point it would be great to see him do that with his finish at the NHL level but it shouldn't limit him if it does not.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY

Did your recency bias miss the 5 teams with multiple checking lines to win the Cup before this season or...?

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Bailey has skills that would allow him to be a good role player if the offensive side isn't his only ability. Size and speed can translate into many things, and at this point it would be great to see him do that with his finish at the NHL level but it shouldn't limit him if it does not.

Very true and he certainly has time to work on the defense aspects of his game.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

In January, there weren’t many people who thought there would be a headline about Justin Bailey pushing for a full-time roster spot on the 2016-17 Buffalo Sabres. But his second half performance has given the Sabres confidence he will be ready to make an impact sooner than later.

Through January, the Williamsville native had just seven goals and 11 assists for the Rochester Amerks. Coming from the juniors, most prospects struggle to make their game immediately translate to the AHL, which is bigger, faster, smarter and more experienced. In juniors, Bailey ran roughshod over smaller, slower players. In the AHL, he was still faster than everyone, but not that much bigger, certainly not stronger and absolutely not as well-versed in the game.

The middle-to-end of the AHL season often separates rookies into two categories: 1) Long-shots 2) Legit prospects. Bailey landed in the second category, scoring 13 goals and 14 assists. To break it down a little further:

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I am excited for this guy. I'd like to see him get around 220 before he gets called up.

I'm sure he understands that some hard work over the summer will pay dividends and seems to be very absorbent of advice. Still think he's penciled into a Sabre W spot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad