Prospect Info: Justin Bailey (2013, 52nd) – '17-18: Rochester #95 (AHL)

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Scoring my first NHL goal is something that's been on my mind for a long time. Since last year, it's been something I've wanted to accomplish and I went through tons of emotions last night with family, friends and all the people I thought of. It was a special feeling to see the puck go in the net.

It's out of my mind now. I'm a player who gets chances and I get shots on net. I was really, really hoping for one to go in - just one to go in. I'd been thinking, "Aw, what could I have done here to get my first goal?" Now, I think, that's out of the way. I'll get my chances. Some aren't going to go in. Some are. But I think now I have that peace of mind where I know I got that first one. It's done and I can just play my game.

My mom has been to the home games I've played in, for my first game in Philly, of course, last year and a few others on the road, but I told her, "It's been - what? - 14 games and I haven't scored. You can't come to every away game." But she was watching. My whole family and all my buddies were watching together so I got a ton of texts afterwards.

I talked to my mom on the phone very, very briefly at the rink after the game. It was very late by the time we got to the hotel here in Chicago so I ended up catching her this morning for a pretty long phone call. She was definitely very, very emotional. The call was one I'll remember forever and it's just something that is going to continue to motivate me for as long as I'm here.

Rest Of The Travel Blog - https://www.nhl.com/sabres/news/justin-bailey-1st-goal-travel-blog/c-285334852

Last edited:

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Great game against the Rangers, but his play has been pretty forgettable since then. Can't say he's adding very much to the Kane/Reinhart line.

Send him down and give Baptiste a chance.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Thought his game against the Jets was just ok but hes a good fit on that line and can make space for himself. Not against getting Baptiste a look but not at the expense of Bailey

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I like that a few players are getting tastes of the NHL. Send them back to marinate and get more hungry and motivated. :dunno:

Sooner or later, one or more will rise to the top and stick. No need to rush.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Seriously? He's easily been the best of the call ups.

He had one good game and a bunch of mehh...looks like a 4th liner type of showings. He will get better but he failed to be noticeable outside his goal and post.

I agree with other continue to rotate bailey, baptiste, fasching into the lineup and inject some experience aND confidence in all of them.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
I disagree with the 4th liner part but either way there will be plenty of opportunity with the injury bug running rampant

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
After this year IDK how much more he can learn in the AHL. In his callups I never thought he was bad just quiet on some nights. I think the Sabres have done a good job not rushing him, I'd like to see them take a similar approach to Nylander(but that's a discussion for another thread). Assuming he plays well in camp and in the pre-seaon he's a full time NHL'er next year.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Can Bailey play LW? Really want to see him with Eichel and Sam.

The reason to play forwards on their off hand is if they are natural shooters, since you can get better angles on your offhand. Since Bailey is a natural shooter, and not much of a playmaker, it would probably be worth a shot.

Revelate

Apr 10, 2011
The reason to play forwards on their off hand is if they are natural shooters, since you can get better angles on your offhand. Since Bailey is a natural shooter, and not much of a playmaker, it would probably be worth a shot.

They tried Bailey at LW during the dev camp scrimmage and he looked good. He can do it imo. I'd like to seem him with Eichel and Reinhart.

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
They tried Bailey at LW during the dev camp scrimmage and he looked good. He can do it imo. I'd like to seem him with Eichel and Reinhart.

I thought I remember that. But since nothing came of it, I assumed that we were all wrong in our analysis of how he looked.

Then again, Jack on his offhand on the PP was something that was obvious to all of us, but took DDB a whole freaking year to grok.

Sabre Dance

Make Hockey Fun Again
Jul 27, 2006
I thought I remember that. But since nothing came of it, I assumed that we were all wrong in our analysis of how he looked.

Then again, Jack on his offhand on the PP was something that was obvious to all of us, but took DDB a whole freaking year to grok.
Eichel kind of goes where the play takes him. Our PP seems to succeed because of talent and not strategy.

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
He's definitely looked good. Probably needs to simplify his game a bit but has shown great speed.

Can probably say that about most players who get called up for the first few times, they all need to simplify their game.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I think Bailey has been the most interesting call up this year so far. He's got the speed to play with ROR and Okposo, needs to work on his composure when he's flying around there.

If/when we drop all of this dead weight so we can have a real bottom 6, and find some other capable players (ie. Nylander in a year or two) to fill the top 6 out... a 3rd/4th line with Carrier and Bailey would be sick. That's a lot of speed and bodies flying around.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
He's got the speed to blow past ROR and OK, but I digress. He's also very good at possessing and creating. If he can continue to get better at decision making and finishing, he'll be a star in the leaague.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad