Post-Game Talk: Just when you think you've hit rock bottom...

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Wanting playoffs with the assets we had when McDavid was drafted was fine. Chia just made ALL the wrong bets.

Sure they could have traded better and maybe this team is in the playoffs, but it's obvious at this point (and should have been then) that drafting and development is key to building a team that can actually contend year after year. There's no shortcuts.

Reactions: Oilhawks

GodPucker

Sep 27, 2017
Yup, and 2 of 3 since the break. They talk about playoffs, which should mean going with the goalie who just got a fresh new long-term deal, but they showcase the back for a trade instead which proves they know they aren't a threat.
Showcasing talent is more important than trying to get into the playoffs. It's risky and it's not paying off.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Sure they could have traded better and maybe this team is in the playoffs, but it's obvious at this point (and should have been then) that drafting and development is key to building a team that can actually contend year after year. There's no shortcuts.
There isn't. With the assets we had a half decent GM would have a good team right now, and good prospects in the pipeline. The Reinhart trade ruined it from the start. And most trades after that.

Kaniac

Sep 11, 2018
I don’t even know what’s wrong with this team anymore!

GM fired, coach fired, have best player in the world and still looking like a lottery team!

What is wrong ????

Well it probably would have helped if they didn't bring a dinosaur out of retirement. The style he plays does not suit the NHL anymore. I'm not saying it's all on him but I think it's part of the problem. That and Chia absolutely nuked our forward depth for middle pairing dmen. So yaaa..

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
I'm sorry but some of these comments regarding Talbot are insane to me. Every one is begging for emotion and someone on the team to give a sh it about whats going on. Here's a player that does, and its "hes a cancer!".

I will admit and agree that his goal tending has been less then stellar, but to suggest he is letting goals in intentionally, or not trying on the Kane goal. Come on. Saad's leg is wedged in his pad. Talbot makes 2-3 attempts to get over but cant. This is in essence the exact same goal from the playoffs, but insert Kesler and his hand instead of Saad's foot. Everyone could agree that was goalie interference.

Also last night, I am perfectly ok with the words he had for hitch and not coming back to the bench. I view the move by hitchcock to challenge that play and then pull talbot when the challenge failed, is straight up disrespect. "Hey, they interfered with you enough to call for a challenge! Oh it failed? Hit the showers you bum!" I dont buy the timeout excuse. They just had a timeout with the whole challenge time.​

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I'm sorry but some of these comments regarding Talbot are insane to me. Every one is begging for emotion and someone on the team to give a sh it about whats going on. Here's a player that does, and its "hes a cancer!".

I will admit and agree that his goal tending has been less then stellar, but to suggest he is letting goals in intentionally, or not trying on the Kane goal. Come on. Saad's leg is wedged in his pad. Talbot makes 2-3 attempts to get over but cant. This is in essence the exact same goal from the playoffs, but insert Kesler and his hand instead of Saad's foot. Everyone could agree that was goalie interference.

Also last night, I am perfectly ok with the words he had for hitch and not coming back to the bench. I view the move by hitchcock to challenge that play and then pull talbot when the challenge failed, is straight up disrespect. "Hey, they interfered with you enough to call for a challenge! Oh it failed? Hit the showers you bum!" I dont buy the timeout excuse. They just had a timeout with the whole challenge time.​
The pull was to wake the team up. Coaches do it all the time in situations like that

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

I like this post, and hats off for not joining the typical player scapegoating occurring here. Like you I feel Talbot was a key part of this team. Its unfortunate how the org has disrespected this player and that occurred in the offseason. Talbot is smart, he knew what was happening and that the org were moving a different way in the Koski acquisition. But I disagree that pulling him was disrespect. Another explanation being that the team needed a reset. (it needs more than that) So that Talbot was pulled not due to fault but that the team needed a goalie pulled rethink out there. It didn't work, I knew it wouldn't but on another night of the team giving up in the 3rd I would actually pull the goalie to complete the embarassemtn. If the team wants to completely fold on a game maybe that would be a unique message. To play the rest of the game without a goalie.

The Oilers team played the 3rd giving no help to whoever is in net. This again becoming a trend with the team. How do you address that? We've had Victor Fasth seething here on the bench, glaring at team mates. We've had Talbot twice now refusing to even come back on the bench. This isn't a hockey team, and the goalies that have been here have signalled that.

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009
The pull was to wake the team up. Coaches do it all the time in situations like that

Sure it happens all the time. But look at the situation last night, that is absolutely the wrong time to be pulling a goalie. Whether it was talbot or Vasilevsky. Especially for a coach that preaches things about confidence.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I like this post, and hats off for not joining the typical player scapegoating occurring here. Like you I feel Talbot was a key part of this team. Its unfortunate how the org has disrespected this player and that occurred in the offseason. Talbot is smart, he knew what was happening and that the org were moving a different way in the Koski acquisition. But I disagree that pulling him was disrespect. Another explanation being that the team needed a reset. (it needs more than that) So that Talbot was pulled not due to fault but that the team needed a goalie pulled rethink out there. It didn't work, I knew it wouldn't but on another night of the team giving up in the 3rd I would actually pull the goalie to complete the embarassemtn. If the team wants to completely fold on a game maybe that would be a unique message. To play the rest of the game without a goalie.

The Oilers team played the 3rd giving no help to whoever is in net. This again becoming a trend with the team. How do you address that? We've had Victor Fasth seething here on the bench, glaring at team mates. We've had Talbot twice now refusing to even come back on the bench. This isn't a hockey team, and the goalies that have been here have signalled that.
Talbot was being a baby.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

The funniest thing about those hilites was the crowd was cheering the Hawks goals quite audibly while booing the home team. It would be literally impossible to pick up from that hilite reel that the game was played in Edmonton. Nor are there many Hawks fans here, just sarcastic opponent goal cheering. I'm sure I heard the fans chanting we want 10.

Reactions: ConnorMcMullet

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
User name checks out
Not really. I made it when he did make saves . Talbot made no attempt to even try and reset and save that puck. (Hence the no goalie interference) Then he cries to Hitchcock about being pulled in a standard pull to try and light a fire under the team move.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Talbot was being a baby.

Give Koski some time. He'll pull a Fasth or just continue to bottom out and not even play well like currently.

This is the Koski BEFORE the Oilers have completely wrecked his confidence. BEFORE the goalie awareness that playing for this club and org is a nightmare.

Talbot is obviously unhappy. The org turned on him and he knows it. He's just here, until he's traded, and I don't think his spirit is here anymore knowing that he's good as gone.

Dashh

Oct 26, 2013
Man it's gross that no member of the OBC has the balls to Step down from their position, admit that they sucked, and resign. All these dicks have enough money to live the rest of their lives comfortably without having to destroy the Oilers for the rest of us. Just admit you have no idea what you're doing already and hire some competent people. No clue how they aren't all embarrassed.

Reactions: TB12 and Oilhawks

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not really. I made it when he did make saves . Talbot made no attempt to even try and reset and save that puck. (Hence the no goalie interference) Then he cries to Hitchcock about being pulled in a standard pull to try and light a fire under the team move.

That's not all narrative. Not sure what you mean about the crying. Talbot is showing he's upset, you know that Talbot knows the team caved and crashed and burned in the 3rd. Look at the relative Oilers efforts on all 5 Hawks goals. Blaming Talbot for giving up is one thing. What about the entire team effort in the 3rd.

Maybe the team is playing to fire Nicholson now...;)

KneeOnKnee

Jun 14, 2007
Alberta
The people need to stop going to games to show their displeasure, jersey throwing is an insult us as fans and the playerss who love the sport, do you really think that this is going to help matters by doing what you did? All I know is that it will just create a toxic environment, the only way for change to happen is to stop supporting the team. I feel the organization is rotten to the core and needs to be gutted from the inside out. I hate it just as much as the next guy but I have also learned not to take the game so dam serious, I go there just for entertainment and the wonderful environment and social gathering. Not to get mad and miserable.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
got this off twitter

This has to be one of the worst compiled list of upper management and scouts in League history.

Nicholson
Lowe
MacT
Howson
Green
Sutter
K.Gretzky
B.Scott
M.Chiarelli
Cichocki
P.Messier

tenor.gif

RinkRatOil

Aug 3, 2009

Watch the reply again. There is 200 lbs attatched to his knee. He cant go anywhere. He is trapped. He cant stand up, he cant recover, he does the only thing available to him and attempts to get something in front of the puck.

Reactions: LaGu

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
The people need to stop going to games to show their displeasure, jersey throwing is an insult us as fans and the playerss who love the sport, do you really think that this is going to help matters by doing what you did? All I know is that it will just create a toxic environment, the only way for change to happen is to stop supporting the team. I feel the organization is rotten to the core and needs to be gutted from the inside out. I hate it just as much as the next guy but I have also learned not to take the game so dam serious, I go there just for entertainment and the wonderful environment and social gathering. Not to get mad and miserable.

If you do go to the game, don't buy any alcohol. Hell don't even buy anything!

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
That's not all narrative. Not sure what you mean about the crying. Talbot is showing he's upset, you know that Talbot knows the team caved and crashed and burned in the 3rd. Look at the relative Oilers efforts on all 5 Hawks goals. Blaming Talbot for giving up is one thing. What about the entire team effort in the 3rd.

Maybe the team is playing to fire Nicholson now...;)
Talbot was left out to dry 100%. I just didn’t like the blatant lack of effort from him on that last goal. He just watched it. No attempt to even move. However the lack of effort from the rest of the team in the 3rd was just as deplorable. What a depressing bunch.

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Showcasing talent is more important than trying to get into the playoffs. It's risky and it's not paying off.

Agreed. I'm trying to point to their incompetence, lack of plan, and lack of same pageness in the organization. Different guys have different ideas and the result is a total shit show.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Watch the reply again. There is 200 lbs attatched to his knee. He cant go anywhere. He is trapped. He cant stand up, he cant recover, he does the only thing available to him and attempts to get something in front of the puck.
I disagree and the reffs did to.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
got this off twitter

This has to be one of the worst compiled list of upper management and scouts in League history.

Nicholson
Lowe
MacT
Howson
Green
Sutter
K.Gretzky
B.Scott
M.Chiarelli
Cichocki
P.Messier

tenor.gif