Post-Game Talk: Just when you think you've hit rock bottom...

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
Today is not a good day to be surrounded by casual Hawks fans at work. I'm going to snap at one of them, and it's not their fault for being ignorant about the Oilers continued woes.

After my men's league game last night one of the guys (a B's fan I think) said the Oilers should blow it up. Blow it up? There's nothing to blow up.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Talked to a buddy that refs (not NHL) he said "Saad went in for the puck, contact was made outside the blue line. Talbot made little effort to move laterally until the shot was already midair. Even without Saad there, Talbot would not of made the save. With GI calling off a goal, the contact has to prevent the goalie from making the save, that's the important part to call backs"
Thanks for that. I still disagree with the assessment, but f**k. Didn't change anything.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Thanks for that. I still disagree with the assessment, but f**k. Didn't change anything.
When you watch it at full speed instead of the replay you can watch Talbot have no idea where the puck was and not start moving until well after the shot was fired. The chances of him saving that puck were so slim that him pulling it off would of been save of the year.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
After my men's league game last night one of the guys (a B's fan I think) said the Oilers should blow it up. Blow it up? There's nothing to blow up.

It'd look something like this.

tenor.gif

Hemsky4pm2

Dec 2, 2017
Talbot might go unclaimed on waivers. I actually wouldn't have any issue with Starett starting the next game.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not sure if these things got noted much. Chia trades Caggiulia for Manning and Manning is a healthy scratch in this game (for good reason, he's not an NHL player) and Cagg of course scores against us and has 4 scoring chances in the game.

The Oilers also don't start the Colby Cave (for good reason) that Chia obtained in his last weeks on the job. They play Malone, who will never be a valid NHL player instead.

Hitch starts Talbot, instead of Koskinen who was obtained by Chiarelli and just got the grossly overpayed contract.

These are 3 personnel decisions that suggest that the head coach thinks that the deposed GM's acquisitions and assessments were random and the respective players not all that worth even using.

That all 3 of these starting lineup instances occurred is interesting. That Cagg scores is the icing, that Gustaffson was the best D on the ice is the Cherry on top.

What a dismal franchise this is.

What happens when even McDrai checkout and feel this sorry ass lineup is incapable of winning? I don't want to be around when that happens.

Digger12

Gold Fever
Feb 27, 2002
Back o' beyond
I've been watching this team since they first entered the NHL, watched every Cup win. Legit shed tears as an 18 year old watching the Gretzky presser when he was traded/sold. Endured the decade of darkness, had one of the best days of my life when the Oilers somehow turned 11.5% into Connor McDavid.

Now 4 years later, and I stopped to realize something...in the middle of the season, I've not watched an Oilers game on TV for nearly 2 months. And I hadn't even really noticed the lack. Sure, I've kept up with the game highlights, but not all of them and even that I'm finding I do less and less. There seems to be this utter lack of hope with this team that they'll ever figure it out, at least not soon enough before this prized jewel they have in McDavid gets beaten down and moves on, perpetuating the cycle.

Even on this site that I've been a member of longer than nearly anyone else here, I don't visit as much. It's just not that fun anymore. And that sucks.

Part of this is me for sure, I'll be turning 50 near the end of this year and I think I'm just finding other things to do that don't put me through the emotional wringer like this ****ing team has done throughout my 40's.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
I don’t even know what’s wrong with this team anymore!

GM fired, coach fired, have best player in the world and still looking like a lottery team!

What is wrong ????

Reactions: Dan403

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I've been watching this team since they first entered the NHL, watched every Cup win. Legit shed tears as an 18 year old watching the Gretzky presser when he was traded/sold. Endured the decade of darkness, had one of the best days of my life when the Oilers somehow turned 11.5% into Connor McDavid.

Now 4 years later, and I stopped to realize something...in the middle of the season, I've not watched an Oilers game on TV for nearly 2 months. And I hadn't even really noticed the lack. Sure, I've kept up with the game highlights, but not all of them and even that I'm finding I do less and less. There seems to be this utter lack of hope with this team that they'll ever figure it out, at least not soon enough before this prized jewel they have in McDavid gets beaten down and moves on, perpetuating the cycle.

Even on this site that I've been a member of longer than nearly anyone else here, I don't visit as much. It's just not that fun anymore. And that sucks.

Part of this is me for sure, I'll be turning 50 near the end of this year and I think I'm just finding other things to do that don't put me through the emotional wringer like this ****ing team has done throughout my 40's.
the Oilers have ruined hockey for me as well

I don't even watch other games on TV

last night I watched in spurts, then turned it off completely when the Hawks made it 4-2

I only come to this site due to habit

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
Talked to a buddy that refs (not NHL) he said "Saad went in for the puck, contact was made outside the blue line. Talbot made little effort to move laterally until the shot was already midair. Even without Saad there, Talbot would not of made the save. With GI calling off a goal, the contact has to prevent the goalie from making the save, that's the important part to call backs"
He also just laid there and made zero attempt to even try and make the save.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
Honestly because they're simultaneously trying to find a buyer for Talbot because they need to clear cap so Sekera can come back. Team is a comedy of errors.

you knew this was the directive when john shannon is tweeting out " might be the best ive ever seen cam talbot" 20 mins before he guilotines his whole team.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I don’t even know what’s wrong with this team anymore!

GM fired, coach fired, have best player in the world and still looking like a lottery team!

What is wrong ????

That its not a team for one thing. Everybody on this team knows how deplorable the org is. Knows that the team traded Cagg for Manning. Hall for Larsson, Eberle for Strome for Spooner. Turned gold into shit.

The Koskinen deal also signals that the org is misrun, allowed a Departing GM to make crucial deals on his last days.

This is an org that had Mcd talk in media about the Manning trade and say good things about it despite the org knowing what McD thought about Manning and that Cagg was his friend.

Players will say one thing on the ice, or to the media. But hardly anybody really believes this is a good enough lineup that can go anywhere. This is a shit f***ing roster and as soon as one thing goes wrong they start looking like it. Despite what Connor says theres hardly anybody in this lineup that thinks this is a tenable lineup.

Just because you fire the coach and GM doesn't mean the lineup changes. Chia ensured it got even worse. Poetically Cagg scored and was better in the game than ANY winger we had in the entire lineup.

Reactions: Aerrol

YakDavid

Dec 12, 2010
I wonder how much the manning traded damaged the team. He's sitting in the pressbox while cags is playing and scoring against us. Mentality is a huge problem. After they gave up the lead they had no urgency or faith in goaltending.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

Got a few years on you, started with the Oilers in their inaugural WHA season. If you're not around here just wanted to say thank you for the exchanges through the years, we'll miss that and I'm glad another person is finding something better to do with their time. I keep thinking I will do that and have at times, not sure why I'm still here. -30 cold snaps make less other options too available. Not even I would enjoy snow shoeing in this weather.

meh For years now I think I watch the Oilers only out of morbid fascination to follow the tragicomeday. Its like a series that has been bad for decades and its so bad that its occasionally compelling in Dilbert fashion. Its like the Oilers are one big experiment in how bad an org can treat its fans and still have them. I mean they've stooped to Manning trade levels. If the Devil was playing in some lineup in the NHL or AHL Chia would have obtained him for laughs as well.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I wonder how much the manning traded damaged the team. He's sitting in the pressbox while cags is playing and scoring against us. Mentality is a huge problem. After they gave up the lead they had no urgency or faith in goaltending.

I'm waiting for the upcoming episode where Nurse fights Manning and Lucic fights Kassian. Sorry to give away the spoilers folks, but I've seen this in the plot development arch. This series is running out of ideas and pulling out all the stops but you had to know some of this is going to boil over.

Connor McDavid plays for this team and knows that deal was made and allowed by this org. That could even have been the final nail that edges him forward to address concerns going forward about this org. Certainly he has grounds at this point for the Oilers not running the org in good faith. I'm sure he's had thoughts that the org is trolling even him.

jebus, Hitch looked like he was ill leaving the Bench last night. Just as pale and lifeless as McLellan was looking back there. Took him awhile to realize there are no answers with this sorry assed lineup put out by this deplorable org.

Its gotta be surreal when Nicholson, and the team Captain are both saying theres enough in this lineup to win and its obviously not the case.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

Mowzie

Sep 17, 2003
Koskinen has been a junk pile for the past month. How soon people forget that godawful tying goal in Montreal.

Not disagreeing. Just emphasizing how bad his contract extension is. They've already lost confidence in him by the looks of it. This team is a mess.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton

This team is so ******, they can’t rebuild as they have the best player in the world, they have no assets to fill wholes without making a bigger one, they are cap strapped, it would take a gm 2-3 years to try to clean out the garbage. Mcdavid is going rot here for the next 8 years, it’s hard to watch.

If the oilers were to blow it up it would be a Mcdavid trade, I want to see one not as a fan of the oilers but as a fan of the game, put him on a legit contender and watch him clean the league and raise cups for the next decade, his legacy to the game will be nowhere near where it should be if he spends the next 8 years here

Little Fury

Jun 21, 2006
This team is so ******, they can’t rebuild as they have the best player in the world, they have no assets to fill wholes without making a bigger one, they are cap strapped, it would take a gm 2-3 years to try to clean out the garbage. Mcdavid is going rot here for the next 8 years, it’s hard to watch.

One year to clean out the garbage, one year to retool, by year three a smart GM could have this team back in it. Of course it didn't have to be this way but the ***hole owner wanted playoffs ASAP after drafting Connor and the ***hole GM didn't have the balls or brains to build the team the right way.

Reactions: Oilhawks

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
One year to clean out the garbage, one year to retool, by year three a smart GM could have this team back in it. Of course it didn't have to be this way but the ***hole owner wanted playoffs ASAP after drafting Connor and the ***hole GM didn't have the balls or brains to build the team the right way.
Wanting playoffs with the assets we had when McDavid was drafted was fine. Chia just made ALL the wrong bets.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad