Post-Game Talk: Just when you think you've hit rock bottom...

BlackDogg

perpetuum defectum
Oct 3, 2015
Outrageous that he even has a voice. In two years as GM he acquired almost nothing but players who flamed out of the league immediately.

- Philip Larsen
- Andrew Ference
- Mark Fayne
- Ben Scrivens
- Steve Pinizzotto
- Mark Fraser
- Viktor Fasth
- Nikita Nikitin
- Tedy Purcell
- Kellan Lain
- Derek Roy
- Rob Klinkhammer
- Will Acton
- Keith Aulie
- Iiro Pakarinen
- Boyd Gordon
- Anton Belov
- Jesse Joensuu
- Luke Gazdic
- Roman Horak
- Denis Grebeshkov
- Ryan Hamilton
- Jason LaBarbera
- Ilya Bryzgalov

The only players still in the league are Perron, Brossoit, Hunt, and Hendricks. Benoit Pouliot is still unsigned.
That's worse than chair rails list and he's gone at least.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Not sure if this was posted or not.

Wasn’t trying to be dramatic. I just didn’t know the full story as I didn’t subject myself to the unnecessary punishment of watching the whole game.

Wasn't calling you out on it. Yep, I saw the Talbot interview which was today, not yesterday. Talbot is always going to take responsibility, ownership because its the type of guy he is and it shows leadership characteristics. Its nice that he apologized to the team albeit its not required. Talbot has been one of the better soldiers here and Hitch had his back today all the way saying essentially that he doesn't blame Talbot it all, the team left him out to Dry, and that the team has another chance to support him in the next game. It was an interesting approach by hitch and one I feel that ought to have been used by McLellan years ago.

T-Funk

Oct 15, 2006
Wasn't calling you out on it. Yep, I saw the Talbot interview which was today, not yesterday. Talbot is always going to take responsibility, ownership because its the type of guy he is and it shows leadership characteristics. Its nice that he apologized to the team albeit its not required. Talbot has been one of the better soldiers here and Hitch had his back today all the way saying essentially that he doesn't blame Talbot it all, the team left him out to Dry, and that the team has another chance to support him in the next game. It was an interesting approach by hitch and one I feel that ought to have been used by McLellan years ago.
Tmac defended Talbot more than enough times.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Mac T being head of pro scouting actually makes complete sense. He’s one of the 3-5 dumbest guys in hockey.

MacT, ironically, probably leads the brigade here in the OBC on such things as character, cancer, and the like. Its like a born again person that is overzealous, always looking at faith beyond anything else, and not seeing beyond their nose because of it. Its classic projection. Because MacT's journey in life involved implacable tragedy and required substantive change he's of a feeling everybody should have demonstrable learned experience that develops mythic "character". Whereas most people just live their life. Often without that kind of mayhem.

But when I hear Nicholson say in a presser the org continues to evaluate picks and acquisitions on basis of character or culture( subjective assessments) it confirms that a lot of idiots are running the farm.

These people, based on what they state, and do, are not capable of even evaluating or running an interview. The Combine questions with this club must be a running gag like they are with some other teams. Really the NHL as a whole is a clownshow when it comes to the latter, aside from a handful of teams that actually know what they are looking for.

lol that 25 teams were asking if players played fortnite and that was a red flag. Its like saying being 17 at draft age is a red flag...

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Tmac defended Talbot more than enough times.

Its not the defending the player, its the action. When McLellan was defending Talbot he would send a mixed message by often starting another goalie in the next game. That's quite confusing message actually.

This one message, "I'm giving the team another chance to support Talbot" Is an interesting team building message and its consistent with the view, and reality, that the team lost the game yesterday, not Talbot or Koskinen. The team that was BRUTAL in the 3rd period got the result they earned. Hitch even mentioned the Oilers started to dog it in the 2nd period and once again (how often have we seen this) they looked past the fortune of a lead, and thought it was going to be easy the rest of the way. Talbot was stoning the hawks repeatedly in the 2nd period. Talbot played solid for 40mins in this game and a timeframe in which the Oilers could have extended a lead if they applied themselves more.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
People need to let this rebuild idea go, we don't need one. We need a retool that could be done this offseason.

The blue print for next season should look like this;

- Trade deadline. trade off all UFA's for picks, trade off any RFA's you don't plan on qualifying for picks.

- Draft day. Keep the 1st and 2nd, potentially trade picks in rounds 3 to 7 for a backup goalie and wingers for the bottom six.

-Buy out period. Buyout Spooner and Manning if they aren't traded by now.

- Free agency period. Try and sign 2 wingers for the top 6.

Only if the perfect player becomes available in a trade do we move any of our big assets, (JP, 2019 or 2020 1st, Jones, Benson, etc..)

It's not going to be easy but a good GM should be able to turn this all around in 1-2 off seasons. The problem is that we still have the same guys tht started this mess in charge behind the scenes.

We also need to accept Draisaitl as Mcdavid's permanent winger and just use him as a center when needed.

Next years lineup blueprint would look like this;

UFA signing-Mcdavid-Draisaitl
UFA signing-RNH-trade/UFA signing
Lucic-Trade-JP
Trade-Brodziak-Chaisson

Klefbom-Larsson
Nurse-Sekera or big trade acquisition
Sekera/Russel-Bouchard

It's a big list this offseason. We need 4 wingers, a 3C, an offensive RD and a reliable backup goalie.
Unless all those UFAs are only making 2 mill, we can't afford that. And with grass that cheap we are still a bottom 10 team

A good GM needs 3-4 years to make this a legit playoff team. Too many horrible contracts. Too may holes. We have 2 top 4 defense and one has been awful the the last 2 years and the other is always hurt.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Just use free agency for some wingers and a 3C. There will be value options available but no guarantee they sign here. Potentially Jones, Benson and Yamamoto will be ready but you want to make them earn their spot.
FA signings are typically overpays. Would rather make a few prudent smaller moves and wait this one out, as frustrating and sad as that is. I see no other options.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Its not the defending the player, its the action. When McLellan was defending Talbot he would send a mixed message by often starting another goalie in the next game. That's quite confusing message actually.

This one message, "I'm giving the team another chance to support Talbot" Is an interesting team building message and its consistent with the view, and reality, that the team lost the game yesterday, not Talbot or Koskinen. The team that was BRUTAL in the 3rd period got the result they earned. Hitch even mentioned the Oilers started to dog it in the 2nd period and once again (how often have we seen this) they looked past the fortune of a lead, and thought it was going to be easy the rest of the way. Talbot was stoning the hawks repeatedly in the 2nd period. Talbot played solid for 40mins in this game and a timeframe in which the Oilers could have extended a lead if they applied themselves more.
Telling our goalie he is going in for the next game in front of our defence is not a reward in my mind. More like a guy that escaped the firing squad being told he'll be tied up again and the shooters will try to be more accurate.:D

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I agree. The last thing this team needs is to turn on one another. Dealing with this straight away is the best way to go.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
Telling our goalie he is going in for the next game in front of our defence is not a reward in my mind. More like a guy that escaped the firing squad being told he'll be tied up again and the shooters will try to be more accurate.:D

lol

There is that angle to it as well.

Another chapter coming up, not sure what to think but whenever things seem bleakest the Oilers win a couple.

Drivesaitl

Time to Drive
Oct 8, 2017
Duck hunting
I agree. The last thing this team needs is to turn on one another. Dealing with this straight away is the best way to go.

I'm surprised more teams don't take this tact and come right back with the same goalie in games where it was the team, not the goalies, that were mostly remiss.

Took a pill in Sbisa

2showToffoliIwascool
Apr 23, 2004
Australia
Maybe someone could help me out, I kept hearing about this Talbot 'staredown' at Hitchcock on social media and on the radio, but couldn't remember seeing it as I had watched the game.

I just went back to it just now and after watching the Oilers feed and the Chicago feed, I still don't see it.

Was it supposed to be when he was looking at the bench when they were communicating that he was being pulled, or the glance down the bench as he was heading down the tunnel?
Those were the only two visuals I saw of him facing the bench and neither one looked like a death stare.

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
This was a third third period collapse in a row, but this one was more dramatic than the previous two. Starting from Rieder's fumbling of the puck from the winger breakout position, the Oilers gave up five unanswered goals in less than nine minutes. Draisaitl had another strong goal-scoring game, an asset this team sorely needs (from someone else other than McDavid, Chiasson, and RNH, I guess).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->