GDT: July 1- Free Agent Frenzy

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We need a little more depth at forward and D to account for injuries, rookie struggles, etc.

I'd feel a lot better with at least one more, top-9 vet forward (ideally RHS), and one more bottom pairing vet defenseman (also ideally RHS), who doesn't suck.

I think we all do. Who do you have in mind?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Kinda sad at Vrby's comments that he feels like the Coyotes really didn't want him back. But I guess once The Purge happened that killed any appetite we had to resign him. We didn't even give him an offer to counter Florida's.

OEL's the only guy left from the 2012 team. In one sense, that's pretty startling, but in another, it makes me so happy that we finally exorcised the country club.

Like the Clendening signing and the Rinaldo signing doesn't bother me as long as he stays in Tucson. Hoping for a bit more from Chayka in the next little bit, though.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
Kinda sad at Vrby's comments that he feels like the Coyotes really didn't want him back. But I guess once The Purge happened that killed any appetite we had to resign him. We didn't even give him an offer to counter Florida's.

OEL's the only guy left from the 2012 team. In one sense, that's pretty startling, but in another, it makes me so happy that we finally exorcised the country club.

Like the Clendening signing and the Rinaldo signing doesn't bother me as long as he stays in Tucson. Hoping for a bit more from Chayka in the next little bit, though.

I feel like 2012 was the best year this team as ever had but then we chased the ghost for 5 years.

I remember even at the time, a lot us knew it would be hard to repeat such a run.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

His initial ask/approach was likely stupid.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
His initial ask/approach was likely stupid.

I don't agree. I think what swayed him was that Florida went after him hard, Yandle was there, and he saw the writing on the wall when The Purge happened. I don't think either side ever got very serious about a contract.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Where are the Vrbata quotes?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I don't agree. I think what swayed him was that Florida went after him hard, Yandle was there, and he saw the writing on the wall when The Purge happened. I don't think either side ever got very serious about a contract.

We wanted to know by (Friday) night where we stand, so we sent what we think would work for us, and it was something that was kind of the same deal as last year just with higher base salary, but kind of the same as we did last year, Vrbata said. But never got a response to it.

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor.../?hootPostID=c66b661eea965c73faefa15d0dc35ab7

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Don’t mind losing Vrbata is his kill off was part of the purge.

Coyotes never made an official offer to Vrbata, as per Morgan. Sarah said the same about Hanzal.

Absolutely no interest in Hemsky.

I don’t believe we addressed our needs today – 2RW and 2RD – nor did I expect or want to do so through free agency. Trade route has better options.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
Glad Vrbata is gone. He's too soft for the playoffs if we were to make it and shooting for the playoffs is the only reason to bring in a vet like him.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Playoffs?!?!? Haha.

The reason to sign a vet winger is to make the kids actually EARN spots and bolster overal depth.

What's wrong with Hemsky? He has incredible puck skills. Sublime vision and passing. He can't stay healthy but IR time for Hemsky creates opportunities for young players anyway. Good way to cycle kids in and out.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Don’t mind losing Vrbata is his kill off was part of the purge.

Coyotes never made an official offer to Vrbata, as per Morgan. Sarah said the same about Hanzal.

Absolutely no interest in Hemsky.

I don’t believe we addressed our needs today – 2RW and 2RD – nor did I expect or want to do so through free agency. Trade route has better options.

I agree. More to come, I hope.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I wonder if they can afford to sign Radulov now?

Apparently, he was asking 12 million over 2 years to stay with Montreal, but his current ask (in Free agency) is a six-year contract with an AAV of $7 million.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad