GDT: July 1- Free Agent Frenzy

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Stephane Da Costa? Someone has to force Keller and Strome to actually earn spots right? Am I the only one wholly uncomfortable with us seemingly handing them gift wrapped roster spots on a silver platter?

There's only two players that haven't shown any previous ability to play at the NHL level and that's Strome and Keller. So that's two guys to integrate. Guys like Perlini and Fischer are more than ready. They don't count. They also know that they can be sent down at any time.

You've got to shake the Tippett out of you.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Am I the only one wholly uncomfortable with us seemingly handing them gift wrapped roster spots on a silver platter?

No. I'm fine with slowly introducing several of them from Tucson. I just want legitimate top-nine forwards to push them out. Waiver wire pickups for that purpose as we've been doing makes even less sense, though.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
There's only two players that haven't shown any previous ability to play at the NHL level and that's Strome and Keller. So that's two guys to integrate. Guys like Perlini and Fischer are more than ready. They don't count. They also know that they can be sent down at any time.

You've got to shake the Tippett out of you.

It had better be Nelson and not Eakins then. We need a developer of young players not a schemer of Xs&Os

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Seems to me that Bellichick was a absolute failure in his first gig as head coach, as was Eakins. I read a lot of venom from Edmonton fans about Eakins. They were bitter over a decade of futility (we've only had 5 years of futility). Nelson didn't turn Edmonton around. The NHL did when they jimmied the lottery to give Edmonton its second Gretzky in McDavid. (It wasn't us, that they screwed, it was Buffalo, which would have overwhelmed Toronto's market with McDavid. That wasn't going to happen.)

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Seems to me that Bellichick was a absolute failure in his first gig as head coach, as was Eakins. I read a lot of venom from Edmonton fans about Eakins. They were bitter over a decade of futility (we've only had 5 years of futility). Nelson didn't turn Edmonton around. The NHL did when they jimmied the lottery to give Edmonton its second Gretzky in McDavid. (It wasn't us, that they screwed, it was Buffalo, which would have overwhelmed Toronto's market with McDavid. That wasn't going to happen.)

It should also be noted that Edmonton didn't turn its fortunes around until the current regime eviscerated the country club that had built up in the room and then finally added some defense to the mix.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
There's also the Pete Carroll example. Somewhat similar is Tom Coughlin too, though he just loosened up with his team during his tenure and didn't have to get fired an rehired. I think the key difference between those guys and Eakins is when they failed they weren't hated by everyone and they weren't followed by a coach who took the exact same team and improved them significantly. I agree with your overall point though, especially because Eakins was pretty young. He could learn from his mistakes and become a good coach. He's still buried far far beneath Keefe and Nelson though IMO and unless they both turn down the job I'd stay away from Eakins.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
It should also be noted that Edmonton didn't turn its fortunes around until the current regime eviscerated the country club that had built up in the room and then finally added some defense to the mix.

Edmonton turned its fortunes around when it drafted Connor McDavid and not for any other reason. It's still run poorly.

I'd prefer Nelson (and Keefe) to Eakins by a lot, but Eakins is worth interviewing.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Radulov off the Dallas.
$75M committed to Bishop(6 yrs), Hanzal(3) and Radulov(5). First 2 are NMC's, assume the same with Radulov.

Meanwhile, Coyotes have $35M committed to Stepan(4), Hammer(2) and Ranta(1). Not sure if the M-NMC's are voided once they've been traded.

Advantage AZ.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
'cept for all that "winning hockey games stuff". They may have maxed out flexibility but they may also have secured a championship. Us? Maybe not be one of the first five teams mathematically eliminated?

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Radulov off the Dallas.

Well, they are in a "win-now" down there, so it's not surprising. I'm guessing this contract will come back and bite them a few years down the road, but it might just turn out fine as well.

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
'cept for all that "winning hockey games stuff". They may have maxed out flexibility but they may also have secured a championship. Us? Maybe not be one of the first five teams mathematically eliminated?
Our day is coming RT....for the first time in a long time there's a visible path to success!

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Well, they are in a "win-now" down there, so it's not surprising. I'm guessing this contract will come back and bite them a few years down the road, but it might just turn out fine as well.

I'll give Dallas credit, they seem to have almost all of the core locked in for term. Their window of competition with this group should be at least the next few seasons.

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
I was overly optimistic the young Coyotes might be able to battle for a wildcard spot this coming season but now I am thinking it is a year away at least. In the Pacific Edmonton, Anaheim, + Calgary are clearly better. SJ wont fall that far either. So that puts the Coyotes battling LA for 5th in the division. Canucks and Knights are worse. In the Central the Predators, Wild, Blues, and Hawks are better. Jets and Stars improved a lot. So that leaves only Colorado.

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
$75M committed to Bishop(6 yrs), Hanzal(3) and Radulov(5). First 2 are NMC's, assume the same with Radulov.

Meanwhile, Coyotes have $35M committed to Stepan(4), Hammer(2) and Ranta(1). Not sure if the M-NMC's are voided once they've been traded.

Advantage AZ.
Hopefully our committed number goes up a lot next year after Raanta earns himself a nice raise.

I was overly optimistic the young Coyotes might be able to battle for a wildcard spot this coming season but now I am thinking it is a year away at least. In the Pacific Edmonton, Anaheim, + Calgary are clearly better. SJ wont fall that far either. So that puts the Coyotes battling LA for 5th in the division. Canucks and Knights are worse. In the Central the Predators, Wild, Blues, and Hawks are better. Jets and Stars improved a lot. So that leaves only Colorado.

I'm just hoping the team gives us hope that they could make the playoffs this year. I want to see people on Twitter saying if we win out with 10 games left we could make it :laugh:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Our day is coming RT....for the first time in a long time there's a visible path to success!

Not really. This has been happening here for the past two years but some have blinders on because of DT.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
I want to see them play like they actually want to win games. I'd like to see more of the mythical "try" make an appearance. I'm fine with losing games. I just don't want to see them coasting through them disengaged. Four years was too long.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
Not really. This has been happening here for the past two years but some have blinders on because of DT.

If DT was still here we'd have Doan and Smith still and continue to run that **** system he uses. He had 5 years of failure in a row. The only way we were going to change course was by getting rid of him.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona

Completely false. The past two years have been nothing but A bunch of mediocre talent mixed with under developed talent, a bad coach, a sub par goaltender and 1 noticeable defenseman.

This team has done a complete 180 in past 60 days. From the top down they are a much more desirable team. Depending on the coaching decision this has set AZ up very nicely moving forward.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Completely false. The past two years have been nothing but A bunch of mediocre talent mixed with under developed talent, a bad coach, a sub par goaltender and 1 noticeable defenseman.

This team has done a complete 180 in past 60 days. From the top down they are a much more desirable team. Depending on the coaching decision this has set AZ up very nicely moving forward.

Granted, they made a lot of moves, but are they any better today than they were before last years TD?

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yes. They got rid of two of the worst coaches in recent memory. Playfair who tanked our defense, and a head coach who was wholly unsuited to the roster and ever evolving game. One of those can probably rehab his image with a veteran heavy team and good goaltending. The other wasn't beloved in Calgary, and I haven't heard much regret about his moving on from anyone. Not even the standard, "Gee, that's a shame. Nature of the business."

Fyreman

Ret FD Batt Chief
Jul 19, 2013
Granted, they made a lot of moves, but are they any better today than they were before last years TD?
WOW Jakey, I agree with you on a lot of things but to even question if they're better off than last year? What gives? I mean really, you were willing to put up with that trainwreck we all watched (in person & on tv) last year?

Geez, Phoenix is a fickle sports town- not winning and not being competitive? Good luck! Throw in that hockey is a niche sport and naive residents still ask if we still have a hockey team. Recipe for rooting for your favorite players in another city...

AZviaNJ

Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Improved the center position(Stepan>Hanzal), improved the defense (Hammer/Clendening>Murphy/Tony D) and I believe they'll be no worse in goal in 2017-2018 and likely considerably better beyond next year.

Yeah, they're better.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Advantage AZ.

Stepan's was almost certainly voided. Hjalmarsson's remains in effect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad