GDT: July 1- Free Agent Frenzy

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
For Doan, a contract offer could come after opening night. Teams will be assessing their needs throughout training camp, and if some team is hit early with a bad injury or massively underperforming player in a similar role, Doan's phone might be ringing in September. If he still wants to be playing and hasn't signed anywhere by then, there's still a chance he could join a team.

That said, I don't think teams are banging down his door to sign him after last year's performance, and I don't think he has the reputation around the league many Coyotes fans think he has (from the folks I've talked to, he's seen more as a Dustin Brown than a Jarome Iginla). He could very well read lack of interest over the next few weeks as a sign he should hang up his skates and move on to another role.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
For Doan, a contract offer could come after opening night. Teams will be assessing their needs throughout training camp, and if some team is hit early with a bad injury or massively underperforming player in a similar role, Doan's phone might be ringing in September. If he still wants to be playing and hasn't signed anywhere by then, there's still a chance he could join a team.

That said, I don't think teams are banging down his door to sign him after last year's performance, and I don't think he has the reputation around the league many Coyotes fans think he has (from the folks I've talked to, he's seen more as a Dustin Brown than a Jarome Iginla). He could very well read lack of interest over the next few weeks as a sign he should hang up his skates and move on to another role.

Thanks. Several years ago, I remember 42-year-old Ray Whitney waiting for the call after his two years with the Stars. He had kids in Phoenix schools, and wanted to play here or nearby, but he retired after the call never came.

Yes, the sentiment on Doan on the main board seems to be that he's prone to cheap shots, and "doesn't want to win" because he stuck with the Coyotes. Of course that second notion is absurd, but there's truth that he sometimes crosses the line with his hits.

If I had to guess today, I would think that Vegas and Doan may have mutual interest.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
I'm not really. It's really not about him. He's nice gamble that's low/risk medium reward. He's cheap, skilled and extremely hungry. But he's also an experienced C/RW that I want to test Strome and Keller against. I like him as a measuring stick for those two. If they can match or surpass him, then we know they're for real. I hate the idea of gift wrapped roster spots served on a silver platter. If I had to bet on one poster on this forum agreeing with me on that feeling, it would've been you Jake.

The darwinism you're describing is great for assembling the best value out of a bunch of walk on players for high school football. It's an awful way to maximize talent in the NHL.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
I don't follow Summer activity in the NHL as closely as many of you. I was wondering what the typical period of time after July 1 is before free-agent signings are considered mostly done. In particular, when does an aging veteran free agent realize that there's no interest in his services anymore? Obviously, I'm curious about Doan's future in particular.

If I recall correctly, Doan said he was going to take his time in making his decision. So, he could already have some calls or possibly a contract under discussion.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
And in interesting news around the world, Dynamo Moscow of the KHL is insolvent. The KHL has declared all of the team's players on 1-way deals to be free agents. Not sure if there are any interesting names. One notable thing that means Klim Kostin is free to sign an ELC immediately.

Interesting note from 6/2/17:

Police raid KHL hockey club Dynamo Moscow
Club says raid was prompted by an allegation of embezzlement
CBC Sports article

On players... I'm sure Vegas will snag a few :)

Possibilities:
Martins Karsums (5'11, 192, RW, RHS, 31 years old)-a bit old, but scored 34 in 52 last season (highest on team). He also played juniors, AHL, and NHL seasons and would add a bit of veteran experience for what it's worth.
Artyom Fyodorov (5'9, 170 lbs, RW, RHS, 23 years old)-scored 26 points in 48 games. Kind of small for my taste, but he's still young. Mat Robinson (5'11, 185, RHD, 31 years old) - A bit older, but good insurance (2 way contract). 3rd in defensive scoring last season (21 points in 53 games)​

I think I pass on the above (and the rest of the roster)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad