GDT: July 1- Free Agent Frenzy

Vinny Boombatz

formerly ctwin22
Mar 21, 2008
Chandler, AZ
Improved the center position(Stepan>Hanzal), improved the defense (Hammer/Clendening>Murphy/Tony D) and I believe they'll be no worse in goal in 2017-2018 and likely considerably better beyond next year.

Yeah, they're better.

All you have to do is look down the middle to determine if we're better or not.

Last season: Holland/Hanzal/Dvorak/Martinook
This season: Stepan/Dvorak/Strome/Cousins

Now, I put Holland in the 1st position because he actually played there for part of the season and that is to show how ridiculous that was.

Now, throw in that Keller is going to be special, Perlini will get better, Duclair away from Tippett should return to form and then look at the defense.

Last Season top 4: OEL/Murphy/Goligoski/Schenn (a #1 played like a #3, a #5 who played like a #6-7, a #3 who played like a #4 and a #6 who played like a #6-7)
This Season top 4: OEL/Hjalmarsson/Goligoski/Chychrun (a #1 that will play like a #1, a #2 that will play like a #2, a #3 who will play like a #3 and a #4 who could possibly play better than that)

Yeah...I'd say that this team is better.

My optimism has returned, if we get a coach that plays an uptempo system and uses the strength of the team. I'm as high on Chychrun as I was on OEL, he's going to be special.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
It has bugged me for years tgat I spent my money on entertainment and was rarely entertained!! You don't need to win to go all in on effort. Play as hard as you can to the best of your ability and fans will be a lot better with losing. Mail it in most nights like last couple seasons and I find better uses for my money.
I want to see them play like they actually want to win games. I'd like to see more of the mythical "try" make an appearance. I'm fine with losing games. I just don't want to see them coasting through them disengaged. Four years was too long.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
WOW Jakey, I agree with you on a lot of things but to even question if they're better off than last year? What gives? I mean really, you were willing to put up with that trainwreck we all watched (in person & on tv) last year?

Geez, Phoenix is a fickle sports town- not winning and not being competitive? Good luck! Throw in that hockey is a niche sport and naive residents still ask if we still have a hockey team. Recipe for rooting for your favorite players in another city...

Last year was a typical rebuilding year, and I found it very exciting watching the kids progress and the year went on.

Improved the center position(Stepan>Hanzal), improved the defense (Hammer/Clendening>Murphy/Tony D) and I believe they'll be no worse in goal in 2017-2018 and likely considerably better beyond next year.

Yeah, they're better.

You forgot we lost our leading scorer last year, and so far we have not signed anyone to replace him and the points.

If all they did was get rid of Tippet they would be better this year.

That is a BIG maybe.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Last year was a typical rebuilding year, and I found it very exciting watching the kids progress and the year went on.

You forgot we lost our leading scorer last year, and so far we have not signed anyone to replace him and the points.

That is a BIG maybe.

I hope we are much better than last year but it is more hope then reality. Our only significant upgrade is:
Chalmers replacing Schenn. Stepan is better than Hanzal but not by a lot.

Up in the air:

Smith, doubt his replacement is as good or better.
Verby, his 50 points will be missed.
Duclair/Strome/DVO/Keller/Chychrun- Do they all improve, all get worse, or some place in between.
We have no 2RHD.
No coach, whoever it is might be a mistake, hope I'm wrong and he's coach of the year.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Why are you so hot on Da Costa?

I'm not really. It's really not about him. He's nice gamble that's low/risk medium reward. He's cheap, skilled and extremely hungry. But he's also an experienced C/RW that I want to test Strome and Keller against. I like him as a measuring stick for those two. If they can match or surpass him, then we know they're for real. I hate the idea of gift wrapped roster spots served on a silver platter. If I had to bet on one poster on this forum agreeing with me on that feeling, it would've been you Jake.

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
And Demers. Having Schenn fill the 2RD slot is scary.

He filled the 2nd pairing RD spot last year basically, playing about 70 fewer minutes than Murphy. He skated more than half of his 5v5 minutes with OEL.

He's not ideal there, but if Hjalmarsson is an effective partner for OEL and Clendening can be more reliable than Stone and DeAngelo were at even strength, there's no reason Schenn can't work fine with Chychrun or Goligoski, who both have the mobility and transition skills to cover for Schenn's shortcomings. If Clendening can take the next step this year, Schenn becomes the de facto third pairing guy anyway, which is fine.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I'm pretty confident Carolina/Chicago/Vegas worked out a three way deal long before the expansion draft. Rumors that Chicago had a package deal with Kruger/TVR to Vegas, and now both Kruger and TVR have been flipped to Carolina.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
My stab at the VGK lineup. Yikes:

Perron - Shipachyov - Neal
Bellemare - Marchessault - Smith
Haula - Eakin - Pulkkinen
Leipsic - Karlsson - Lindberg

Theodore - Miller
Garrison - Stoner
Schmidt - Merrill
Sbisa

Fleury - Pickard

What a pile of garbage.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm not really. It's really not about him. He's nice gamble that's low/risk medium reward. He's cheap, skilled and extremely hungry. But he's also an experienced C/RW that I want to test Strome and Keller against. I like him as a measuring stick for those two. If they can match or surpass him, then we know they're for real. I hate the idea of gift wrapped roster spots served on a silver platter. If I had to bet on one poster on this forum agreeing with me on that feeling, it would've been you Jake.

Ok, I understand what you are saying, but I would like to aim a bit higher. Strome and Keller are probably better than him right now, so I don't consider that much of a measuring stick. We do need another RW. If Duke doesn't rebound, we are in for a lot of hurt as it stands today.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
And in interesting news around the world, Dynamo Moscow of the KHL is insolvent. The KHL has declared all of the team's players on 1-way deals to be free agents. Not sure if there are any interesting names. One notable thing that means Klim Kostin is free to sign an ELC immediately.

LuckyNumber11

Jun 10, 2015
Valley of the Sun

Theodore - Miller
Garrison - Stoner
Schmidt - Merrill
Sbisa

Fleury - Pickard

What a pile of garbage.

Honestly think Tuscon would take a few games in a seven game series with that team.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Ok, I understand what you are saying, but I would like to aim a bit higher. Strome and Keller are probably better than him right now, so I don't consider that much of a measuring stick. We do need another RW. If Duke doesn't rebound, we are in for a lot of hurt as it stands today.

See, that's the kind of assumption I want to avoid on Strome and Keller. I personally don't share in the assumption that either are ready to be more effective than a guy like Da Costa. It's why I'd have liked Hemsky. Also why I wouldn't mind Vanek. I want these kids to PROVE it rather than us just assume it.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
See, that's the kind of assumption I want to avoid on Strome and Keller. I personally don't share in the assumption that either are ready to be more effective than a guy like Da Costa. It's why I'd have liked Hemsky. Also why I wouldn't mind Vanek. I want these kids to PROVE it rather than us just assume it.

I don't mind Vanek, but Da Costa and Hemsky I personally would not want.

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014

Theodore - Miller
Garrison - Stoner
Schmidt - Merrill
Sbisa

Fleury - Pickard

What a pile of garbage.

Not great, but I'm not sure it's any worse than what we've been icing for the last few years. That s not saying much but I'm not convinced they're a lock for worst in the league.

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
I don't follow Summer activity in the NHL as closely as many of you. I was wondering what the typical period of time after July 1 is before free-agent signings are considered mostly done. In particular, when does an aging veteran free agent realize that there's no interest in his services anymore? Obviously, I'm curious about Doan's future in particular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad