GDT: July 1- Free Agent Frenzy

PhoPhan

Feb 27, 2002
How do you see your lines shaping up with the roster in it's current state? Would love to see some predictions on line combos.

Cheers.

I still think there's another right wing coming, possibly requiring the departure of someone in the current lineup (Rieder seems most likely to go, though I like what he brings to this roster). Anyway, he's my guess for opening night based on the current roster composition:

Perlini-Stepan-Rieder
Domi-Dvorak-Duclair
McGinn-Strome-Fischer
Crouse-Martinook-Cousins

Richardson is the extra man, and he can easily sub in for Strome or Martinook (or McGinn or Crouse, with Martinook sliding to the left wing).

Keller starts the season in Tucson and gets spot duty when other players get hurt.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Marleau to the Leafs..... 3 x $6.25M AAV

Takes them over the cap, so perhaps we can wrench someone from them. Of course I guess the Horton hit is subtracted, so they're okay there but still have some RFAs to sign

WrinkledPossum

Play Dead
Apr 23, 2016
Too much term and salary. Leafs are going to have to pay Matthews, Nylander, Marner + by the time that's done. I bet he gets bought out is sent away as a cap dump by the time it's done

Takes them over the cap, so perhaps we can wrench someone from them.

Put Horton and Lupul on IR and they're fine. And if they move anyone it will be Bozak, and we don't have a need for another center.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Too much term and salary. Leafs are going to have to pay Matthews, Nylander, Marner + by the time that's done. I bet he gets bought out is sent away as a cap dump by the time it's done

Put Horton and Lupul on IR and they're fine. And if they move anyone it will be Bozak, and we don't have a need for another center.

Forgot about Lupul there as well. I'd still be willing to trade Martinook and a pick/prospect for Brown...

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
How do you see your lines shaping up with the roster in it's current state? Would love to see some predictions on line combos.

Cheers.

Domi-Stepan-Duclair
Perlini-Dvorak-Keller
Crouse-Strome-Rieder
Nook-Richardson-McGinn
Cousins

OEL - Hjalmarson
Goligoski - Schenn
Chychrun - Clendening
Connauton

Raanta
Domingue

(Fischer in AHL)

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Although Chayka said the team wouldn’t be in the “upper-tier market” in free agency, he also said he had “good communication” with Kevin Shattenkirk’s camp. The defenseman was one of the most intriguing free agents this summer and ended up signing a four-year, $26.6 million contract with the Rangers. “I had lots of discussions with all the free agents and a lot of the top guys, too, just to see if there's opportunities to grow our team," Chayka said. "I haven't got anything done yet, but that's the process. You go and you make a lot of calls. You have a lot of communication, and you try to find something that works for both sides. A lot of times you don't, but it makes it all worth it when you do."

http://www.azcentral.com/story/spor...uld-conclude-coach-interviews-week/447052001/

Last edited:

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
I remember after FA with Maloney we would here or he would say that he didn't even contact half the ****en players available.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
After July 1st in final year of deal there would only be $1.25 million in salary left, that would be an easy get rid of for the Leafs if necessary.
LTIR in his third year if he doesn't age well. Probably not insured, but TML don't care.

rt

May 13, 2004
What's the story with Drew Stafford? Still unsigned. Would he take a 1yr deal with a NMC and a *wink*wink* that he can cal his shot with 50% retention at the TDL? Beats taking a big pay cut to go to a contender in July. Might as well get paid handsomely and go to a contender in January, right? He wants back in Boston but they don't want to give him fair money due to the cap. Why not come here now and head there for the post season?

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Stafford is slow and his effort is questionable. He's a bit like Vrbata, in that he can pot goals if he's playing with talent. He's a net negative if he's playing with Martinook and Cousins.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
He still needs to be injured. Time for the NHL to crack down on these LTIR schemes.

Try proving that the 40 year old hockey player doesn't have severe back pain after 23 yrs of being cross checked...
Then force him to play and watch when he gets hurt and sues the league office for forcing him to aggravate his injury...

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
I mean, as long as he is in fact medically injured.

Hard pass on Stafford. Just because Don Maloney's Bargain Bin is still there doesn't mean we have to pick through it.

rt

May 13, 2004
Stephane Da Costa? Someone has to force Keller and Strome to actually earn spots right? Am I the only one wholly uncomfortable with us seemingly handing them gift wrapped roster spots on a silver platter?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad