GDT: July 1 - Free Agent Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chandrashekhar Limit

From the runaway slave to a modern day king.
Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
Going to San Jose doesn't give him any more chance to win. They are a better team overall, but in a much tougher division & conference.

I still believe he goes to San Jose, but that 3rd year from Toronto could be a game changer and is probably the reason why he'll take the additional 24 hours.

Do we know Toronto offered him a 3 year deal? I was under the impression (based on no solid proof :P) that we offered him a 2 year deal.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
The longer this takes, the more I think Marleau re-signs with San Jose, especially considering the fact that San Jose offered him a 2-year deal this week.

Source: http://www.tsn.ca/marleau-considering-two-year-deal-from-sharks-1.793452

Would be nice if came here, but it seems more and more like a pipe dream.

It's not any easy decision - there's a human side to it. Marleau has played with the Sharks his whole career. There is a legacy aspect to his decision as well as uprooting his family.

If we get him, awesome - if not, it's okay.. We'll survive

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
I'm loving the Hainsey signing. The fact that he plays both sides really helps us out. We really struggled putting some guys on their off-side this year.

I hope we can get Polak to a deal around 1.5 per year. He'd be a great depth add and enables us to boot Marchenko

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
Marleau Matthews Nylander
JVR Bozak Marner
Komarov Kadri Kapanen
Martin Moore Hyman
Fehr

Gardiner Zaitsev
Rielly _______
Hainsey Carrick
Marincin Marchenko

Andersen
Mcelhinney
Sparks

Rychel/Johnsson/Aaltonen/Leivo/Soshnikov/Brown/Rosen/Dermott/Gauthier I definitely think a trade is coming.

We aren't signing Marleau.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I still don't get what the thought process is. Thats a lot of talking from Lou without really saying anything :laugh:

except: Hainsey is envisioned to be playing top 4D role; that means we still need to look at 3rd pair with only Marincin/Marchenko there....

LOL

Lou common man give us at least something

1. Morgan Rielly
  2. Nikita Zaitsev
  3. Jake Gardiner
  4. Ron Hainsey
  5. ~
  6. Connor Carrick
  7. Martin Marincin
  8. Alexei Marchenko
  9. Calle Rosen
  10. Andreas Borgman
  11. Travis Dermott
  12. Rinat Valiev

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
How are people even mad about these moves? This has been textbook improving the team while carrying a 0% risk factor. You literally can not improve any better way than we just did. You take all things into consideration and we are gold.

Dermott and Lilj are in no rush. Carrick gets to slow down and improve in the 5th D slot. It doesn't get much better.

Jake Z
Mo H

Chandrashekhar Limit

Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way
It's not any easy decision - there's a human side to it. Marleau has played with the Sharks his whole career. There is a legacy aspect to his decision as well as uprooting his family.

If we get him, awesome - if not, it's okay.. We'll survive

Agreed. I think the legacy part is the hardest for him to leave behind. Hopefully his gold medals with Babs convinces him to come here :)

All we were told was that other team(s) have offered him a 3 year deal and SJ offered a 2 year deal.

Not confirmed that it would be Toronto.

True, for some reason I missed that connection. Lets see what happens tomorrow.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
So Lou feels Moore is the perfect replacement for Boyle.

That's nice.

Who is the replacement for the 2nd round pick we gave up on the rental?

keon

Nov 9, 2002
Visit site
I believe we are 48 contracts now (including Hyman, Brown, and Holl). I doubt that Lou is signing any more UFAs.

Chandrashekhar Limit

Apr 2, 2009
Milky Way

That's nice.

Did you guys forget how important Boyle was to stabilize the lineup that lead us to the playoffs?

****ing tired of seeing people cry over a ****ing 2nd round pick.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
It was a great idea to trade that 2nd rounder for Boyle as that helped us get in the playoffs

Great move by Lou. Keep it up:)

Lets hope he continues making moves like this.

showtime8

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto, ON

That's nice.

The Leafs still have 2 2nd round picks next year.

This year's draft was weaker than most. Next year's is supposed to be really good.

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Did you guys forget how important Boyle was to stabilize the lineup that lead us to the playoffs?

****inf tired of people making up justifications for Boyle

You do realize Tampa nearly caught us with some of their best hockey of the season AFTER they traded him?

Leafs at Knight

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 4, 2011
London, Ontario

Wait until we're a top team year in year out and are trading multiple picks every year at the deadline and off season to stay competitive/push us over the top. Some people will have to find a new team.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

That's nice.

If it makes you feel any better we could likely re-coup a 3rd rounder out of Moore if our season falls off a cliff :nod: sure we lost a 2nd rounder in a supposedly weak draft.. What's the big deal? We've traded for more picks then we've given away with marginal assets

At 1 million AAV many teams would line up to pick-up Moore

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
****inf tired of people making up justifications for Boyle

You do realize Tampa nearly caught us with some of their best hockey of the season AFTER they traded him?

You'll have to get used to it. :)

This is going to be something the Leafs do at every trade deadline moving forward.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Wait until we're a top team year in year out and are trading multiple picks every year at the deadline and off season to stay competitive/push us over the top. Some people will have to find a new team.

Or people with favorite word "silly" will complain

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
It was a great idea to trade that 2nd rounder for Boyle as that helped us get in the playoffs

Great move by Lou. Keep it up:)

Lets hope he continues making moves like this.

Sad that you don't think this team could have made the playoffs on their own.

There is a scenario where they do... and still lose to Washington mind you... and keep the second round pick.

Again, Tampa stepped up their game without him. Imagine if they kept him? May not have been so close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad